Installation Cost: per kitchen cabinet box

25 Replies

Do you pay per box? By linear foot? And how much?

i recently met a lady contractor that would install cabinets at 20.00 per box 

most in my area usually charge by the job 

good luck @Brian G.  

typically I charge by the job. Sometimes even the prefabricated cabinets need adjustments. Installation is not like assembling cabinets. Sorry I couldn't give you a better clear answer. 

Thanks @Mark Brogan just trying to outsource this task to my GC. $50 per box seems to be the going rate in my market. Regards

Rough estimate for most typical markets would be $500-1000 for a standard kitchen installed and trimmed out.

In Atlanta, we can typically find a cabinet installer (or good carpenter) to install a standard kitchen for $500-800.  In Maryland, it's typically $600-900.  In Wisconsin, it's typically $800-1100.

Those three areas appear to cover about 90% of the markets I've heard about in terms of labor costs, so the $500-1000 is probably a reasonable range in Florida...though I don't know if you're closer to the bottom of the range or the top.

I agree with J Scott. I remembered my cabinet vendor did some of my cabinet. Once it was $1200 (Manhattan and included delivery) and another time for $700 ( Atlanta including delivery). The only thing I they gave me those prices because I bought the cabinets from them.

And sometimes there is more to it than just "hanging a cabinet".  Adjacent boxes are attached to each other with screws; you might want some crown molding at the top of upper cabinets; you might want toekick installed on the base cabinets. 

before you pick up the cabinets from the manufacturer make sure all doors are straight and there is no 1/4' gab between them. just cut thru cardboard boxes and take a look. less pain afterwards with your installer.

I pay roughly $20/box in Atlanta without crown and such. That's the low end of things I think. My carpenter and handyman do mine.

if anyone uses Ikea cabinets they are selling the frame and doors for 75% off through Feb. 1 with caveat they are changing their entire line Feb. 2. These are so easy to put up because they have this fantasic rail system, so someone could install them alone, but you have to assemble the cabinrts. My contactors don't like but they look exeptional, And hold up very well, but wouldnt use in Class C properties. 

Kevin Polite, Real Estate Agent in GA (#269676)

Ikea Cabinets are junk. I will never buy them. I work at a custom cabinet shop and I've had to deal with these pieces of garbage. You might as well hang cardboard boxes on your walls.

The biggest problem with them is the backs are made of that folding cardboard stuff. A cabinet back provides all of the structure to the box, and allows you to screw through the back into the wall. The Ikea cabinet backs are flimsy so the boxes rack and you can never get them plumb and level, and you have to use their confounding hardware to attach to the walls and use sheet rock anchors. The bases have plastic legs that break right off.

These are basically disposable cabinets. I might put them in a flip if I really wanted to screw over the buyer, but I would never expect them to hold up to normal wear and tear in a rental. Just go one step up and buy the cheapest cabinets from Home Depot. It will save you a ton of money in the long run. They might not be the frameless "euro-style" you are looking for, but if you want something expensive-looking, spend a little more money, don't buy cheap junk that looks expensive and falls apart.

Originally posted by @Jake Hartnett :

Ikea Cabinets are junk. I will never buy them. I work at a custom cabinet shop and I've had to deal with these pieces of garbage. You might as well hang cardboard boxes on your walls.

The biggest problem with them is the backs are made of that folding cardboard stuff. A cabinet back provides all of the structure to the box, and allows you to screw through the back into the wall. The Ikea cabinet backs are flimsy so the boxes rack and you can never get them plumb and level, and you have to use their confounding hardware to attach to the walls and use sheet rock anchors. The bases have plastic legs that break right off.

These are basically disposable cabinets

Flippers don't care about who buys the house, as long as the lipstick stays on the pigs lips long enough to get through close they met their goals

See this typical flipper post for evidence:

My contractor and I have constantly been disagreeing (friendly of course) on the amount of work to complete the project. My mindset (that has worked well for me so far) is make the house cosmetically attractive as far as the usual paint, flooring, fixtures, landscaping, trim, cabinets, ect. If it's a saftey issue it gets fixed.

The contractor on other hand is all about re-wiring a lot of the house when in my opinion it's not needed because everything works just fine. The issue is every time he wants to do things like this, I cringe because all of these things add a lot of cost without adding value and pretty soon we're way over budget. I tell him a person could work on a house for an entire year and still not be (done). You can't do everything and expect to make money. His philosophy is that I'm cutting corners and not doing it right. This is only one example.

@Kevin Polite that's good info.  I've used them in a rental in the past.   If I had known they were selling that cheap I would have been all over that.  I just finished a kitchen in my rental this week and the renters in the area love the frameless look. I went with my custom guy in Virginia he's a bit cheaper.  

I'm not sure if you do them your self but if not I have a tip I got from a guy who uses them also.  Don't hire carpenters to put them together.  They will curse you the moment you walk out the door.  Use a handyman and make sure they glue all the joints.  It might void the 20 year warranty but you won't care becuse you won't need it.  

Account Closed Why would you bolt them to the wall when they come with the rail system. As long as you put that up correctly the rest is a breeze. The drawers are metal and way stronger than any wood drawers. But to each his own and working for a customer cabinet maker I can see why you wouldn't.

My better half is German and in Germany when you move into an apartment you put up your kitchen yourself and folks don't move nearly as often as they do here and the majority rent. Most people there use Ikea and not to be stereotypical, but if german engineers are ok with it.....

Kevin Polite, Real Estate Agent in GA (#269676)

@Mike F. You're just used to doing your own custom cabinet, IKEA is not that bad, I've seen and known a couple of products, not just cabinet. Your custom cabinet shop will yield better, but to someone who values every cent, your custom cabinet is not worth it. I've seen a 60' cabinet for $1800, and they're still hanging, on the other hand, I've seen some 60' cabinet for 24,000 and when you hang the solid doors, it sags, custom, yeah right! Everything is, in my opinion. Everything came from somewhere, factory or by hand. Some just don't have the expertise to hang them because they're used to their own system.

@Kevin Polite I've had a similar experience with the ikea line. I put them in 3 years ago with white Quartz.  They still look great.

@Manolo D. my custom guy is cheaper than Ikea! My 10x10 with high gloss doors was 4K then I had to put them together which was another 600.  I just put in a similar sizes kitchen for 2900 it was a two day install.  

@Brian G. I pay carpenters by the day.  A 10x10 with crown and baseboard takes about 3-4 days 1 guy.  So that's about 800.  Same guy usually does the paint too.  

Originally posted by @Manolo D. :

Mike F. You're just used to doing your own custom cabinet, IKEA is not that bad, I've seen and known a couple of products, not just cabinet. Your custom cabinet shop will yield better, but to someone who values every cent, your custom cabinet is not worth it. I've seen a 60' cabinet for $1800, and they're still hanging, on the other hand, I've seen some 60' cabinet for 24,000 and when you hang the solid doors, it sags, custom, yeah right! Everything is, in my opinion. Everything came from somewhere, factory or by hand. Some just don't have the expertise to hang them because they're used to their own system.

I never said anything about custom cabinetry.  

IKEA is a Euro style cabinet system versus an American style cabinet system. (hanging rail versus soild box installation) - In Europe it's common for apartment owners to own their cabinetry, they take it with them when they more, hence you see a rail mount system and cabinetry sitting on legs. American style cabinetry is a permanent installation the cabinets are owned by the apartment owner and stay with the apartment. (IKEA - designed off a temporary installation system, American cabinetry is designed as a permanent installation) IKEA even worse is a knock down product designed to be shippable in flat boxes, American cabinetry is permanently assembled delivered in finished size.

Apples to apples is standard factory built American style cabinetry versus Euro style. Custom cabinetry isn't even in the equation, that's a another whole level higher.

IKEA is a removable cabinet system it's a square peg in a round hole for American kitchens, American kitchens are American homes the cabinetry is owned by the owner of the home not the tenant the cabinetry is permanent. 

Flippers don't even have a clue about any of the above, they don't know that IKEA is a Euro system, they just see a lower price and think it's just cabinetry they can buy cheaper, which is what flippers are only concerned with, flippers love putting lipstick on pigs as long as they can fool their buyers.

Originally posted by @Mike F. :
Originally posted by @Manolo D.:

Mike F. You're just used to doing your own custom cabinet, IKEA is not that bad, I've seen and known a couple of products, not just cabinet. Your custom cabinet shop will yield better, but to someone who values every cent, your custom cabinet is not worth it. I've seen a 60' cabinet for $1800, and they're still hanging, on the other hand, I've seen some 60' cabinet for 24,000 and when you hang the solid doors, it sags, custom, yeah right! Everything is, in my opinion. Everything came from somewhere, factory or by hand. Some just don't have the expertise to hang them because they're used to their own system.

I never said anything about custom cabinetry.  

IKEA is a Euro style cabinet system versus an American style cabinet system. (hanging rail versus soild box installation) - In Europe it's common for apartment owners to own their cabinetry, they take it with them when they more, hence you see a rail mount system and cabinetry sitting on legs. American style cabinetry is a permanent installation the cabinets are owned by the apartment owner and stay with the apartment. (IKEA - designed off a temporary installation system, American cabinetry is designed as a permanent installation) IKEA even worse is a knock down product designed to be shippable in flat boxes, American cabinetry is permanently assembled delivered in finished size.

Apples to apples is standard factory built American style cabinetry versus Euro style. Custom cabinetry isn't even in the equation, that's a another whole level higher.

IKEA is a removable cabinet system it's a square peg in a round hole for American kitchens, American kitchens are American homes the cabinetry is owned by the owner of the home not the tenant the cabinetry is permanent. 

Flippers don't even have a clue about any of the above, they don't know that IKEA is a Euro system, they just see a lower price and think it's just cabinetry they can buy cheaper, which is what flippers are only concerned with, flippers love putting lipstick on pigs as long as they can fool their buyers.

Who are you? No picture, no information in your profile, you just come here with your sour grapes and rail an entire industry by stereotyping everyone in it based on your clearly very small sample size. If you had a large enough sample size you would not be spewing the same garbage because it is not true, at all. I'm sorry if you purchased a bad house from a "flipper" who cut corners but bringing your sour grapes here doesn't accomplish anything.

You quoted a statement from another poster above, saving it from another thread and retyping it here, which isn't weird at all btw. You have no idea exactly what he was referencing or what he and his contractor think is enough or overkill. You're reaching only to try and validate your negative opinion of people that buy and sell homes, which is also completely off-topic in this thread.

Yes, there are people that cut corners out there when rehabbing homes. It's unfortunate but it does happen. There are people who cut corners in every industry though, are you in the forums of those trades railing the masses for the sins of a few? I'm not sure what your issue is but I KNOW that there are investors at BP that aren't corner cutters and will stand-by the homes they sell. I personally write my name inside the walls of every house I sell because we DO NOT cut corners. Everything we do is to code and inspected to ensure it is. So I don't take kindly to people such yourself that come-in and attempt to slander me by lumping me into broad, uninformed statements that have no validity.

Originally posted by @Manolo D.:

Mike F.

Who said IKEA is cheap? It is one of the most expensive pre-made cabinets out there. A true custom is someone will measure your wall to wall and then install them on site, accuracy can be up to 1/8". Pre-made simply uses spacers to "fit" them, to me that's not custom. Euro system or not. And I will have to say not all flippers care only at the bottom $, they also car about delivering a product to a customer/buyer. Just like any other service/professional, there are a lot of shady people, but there are more who will do it right than not.

Back to the OP, I have a suggestion to cut costs.

Offer to assemble the cabinets for your contractor, and pay him to install them. Assembly is pretty easy once you figure out the first one. See what that does for your costs. Good luck!

Originally posted by @Christopher B. :

Who are you? No picture, no information in your profile, you just come here with your sour grapes and rail an entire industry by stereotyping everyone in it based on your clearly very small sample size. If you had a large enough sample size you would not be spewing the same garbage because it is not true, at all. I'm sorry if you purchased a bad house from a "flipper" who cut corners but bringing your sour grapes here doesn't accomplish anything.

My sample size is huge and going on 30 years of being in the construction industry and being called by homeowners every day and seeing the crap done by flippers, homeowner after homeowner says the exact same thing "If I'd known this was a flip I never would have bought it". Most flippers should be put in jail for the short cuts, non-permited work and plain criminal negligent work they do. You know it's true as well as everybody else, it's the rare flipper who does anything even resembling care and quality. This website is filled with 10,000 posts from flippers looking for the cheapest contractors they can find and thousands or crying flippers with the results they get by hiring the lowest of the barrel. You get what you pay for. You might not like me talking about the truth, but you and I both know it true. If the shoe doesn't fit you so be it, but don't pretend you don't know what goes on. If you think you're set apart from them then you already have the evidence since you're making the comparison. Please don't tell me that the majority of flippers you've ran across over the years were on your level, you know that's not true.

My sample size is huge and going on 30 years of being in the construction industry and being called by homeowners every day and seeing the crap done by flippers, homeowner after homeowner says the exact same thing "If I'd known this was a flip I never would have bought it". Most flippers should be put in jail for the short cuts, non-permited work and plain criminal negligent work they do. You know it's true as well as everybody else, it's the rare flipper who does anything even resembling care and quality. This website is filled with 10,000 posts from flippers looking for the cheapest contractors they can find and thousands or crying flippers with the results they get by hiring the lowest of the barrel. You get what you pay for. You might not like me talking about the truth, but you and I both know it true. If the shoe doesn't fit you so be it, but don't pretend you don't know what goes on. If you think you're set apart from them then you already have the evidence since you're making the comparison. Please don't tell me that the majority of flippers you've ran across over the years were on your level, you know that's not true.

Funny...I could replace every instance of the word "flipper" above with the word "contractor," and it would still hold true...

Does that mean we assume you're in the same category?  Of course not.  We don't know you, and we probably assume that the fact that you're on this site says that you're not in that category.

So, provide us the same respect, and don't assume that the people in this thread (and on this site) are in the category of flipper you're referring to...

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.