Putting on an addition?

6 Replies

We are purchasing a property outside of Cincinnati, OH and have ran all the numbers - the investment looks solid with or without an addition.  However, the homes in the immediate neighborhood are nearly 1000 sq.ft bigger than our property, so we have room to play with the idea of an addition.

Any contractors out there that could give a ballpark figure for putting on a two-story 1000 sq.ft addition to the back of a house?  This addition would be on top of slab/crawl (that we would have to lay) and would include an interior remodel of the kitchen, master bed/bath, and possibly another 1/2 bath.  I've included our initial rough ideas below.  The dimensions of each addition per floor would be 16'x31'.   I know this answer could be a HUGE range depending on the upgrades we install on the interior but any information would be very helpful.   Thanks!!

@Brandon Nappi  looks like a very large addition compared to the current size of the property.  Have you confirmed with the local government/building department that you will be allowed to complete such a large addition.  If not, you may need to apply for a variance, which can be expensive and time consuming... and there are no guarantees.  Good luck. 

Originally posted by @Marc H. :

@Brandon Nappi looks like a very large addition compared to the current size of the property.  Have you confirmed with the local government/building department that you will be allowed to complete such a large addition.  If not, you may need to apply for a variance, which can be expensive and time consuming... and there are no guarantees.  Good luck. 

Hi Marc-  Yes, it's a 1400 sq.ft. house and we're looking to add almost 1000sq.ft., so it's sizable.  A few of the homes in the neighborhood have similar additions, so we are assuming we could safely do this but are looking to get an estimate before we go through the process with the building department.  Thanks!

For something like that, I would assume that the extra space would cost about the same as new construction (on a per-square-foot basis).  Perhaps talk to a local spec builder or seasoned investor in the area and find out what they are paying for new construction.

Originally posted by @J Scott:

For something like that, I would assume that the extra space would cost about the same as new construction (on a per-square-foot basis).  Perhaps talk to a local spec builder or seasoned investor in the area and find out what they are paying for new construction.

Thanks for the input - we are hearing $125-$150/sq.ft. for new construction but I've always heard....anyone can build a new house but very few can rehab.   Wasn't sure if the cost would be more?   

Originally posted by @Brandon Nappi :

Thanks for the input - we are hearing $125-$150/sq.ft. for new construction but I've always heard....anyone can build a new house but very few can rehab.   Wasn't sure if the cost would be more?   

In my experience, the cost to rehab will never be more than new construction (assuming no major mistakes), but certainly the stress/headaches could be more...  :-)

Of course, that cost will be for the addition.  Any rehab costs for the existing space will be additional...

Originally posted by @Brandon Nappi:

In my experience, the cost to rehab will never be more than new construction (assuming no major mistakes), but certainly the stress/headaches could be more...  :-)

Of course, that cost will be for the addition.  Any rehab costs for the existing space will be additional...

Thanks again!  Really appreciate your input ;)