Newbie questions on Bath Remodel

6 Replies

Hi All,

Sorry for asking such  a newbie question that probably has already been addressed here but I can't find it. so here I go.

In a bathroom remodel project what task  do you think can be performed by a trained handyman vs Professional? Here are my thought?

Any Demo - Trained handyman.

Tile setting - Professional

Plumbing changes - Professional

Electrical changes - Professional

Replacing old Toilet(Same spot) - Trained handyman.

What do you guys think? Let me know.

Tile is pretty simple and can be learned easily. But I think you are pretty much spot on

This depends a lot on the person overseeing the work.  I run a couple of crews and know my folks limits.  If we get into minor plumbing and electrical work I oversee more closely. 

Medium jhb properties 01Jason Burr MBA, JHB Properties LLC | [email protected] | 864‑238‑9670

What about installing a new bathtub - Trained handy man or Plumber

Originally posted by @Rao V. :

Depends on the complexity.  A basic clawfoot is mostly plumbing.  A fully tiled surround shower/bath combo is most labor.

Always get the plumbing done professionally and try to drive as much cost out of things like tile by hiring your Trained Handy Man to do that.

Originally posted by @Aaron Montague :
Originally posted by @Rao V.:

Depends on the complexity.  A basic clawfoot is mostly plumbing.  A fully tiled surround shower/bath combo is most labor.

Always get the plumbing done professionally and try to drive as much cost out of things like tile by hiring your Trained Handy Man to do that.

The new bathtub will be simple tub and shower/bath combo or clawfoot. what do you suggest in that case

@Rao V.  

Clawfoot tubs are only hard to get up the stairs :)  Put it in place, LOCK THE FOOT BOLTS TIGHTLY, and call the plumber.  Trust me on the FOOT BOLTS part...

I would use a THM for most of the framing and tiling of the shower/tub enclosure.  Leave the wall completely open for the plumber and get them in there in the middle so they can make sure everything works.  Once the plumber verifies it leak free, close up the wall and move on to the next part of the house.