looking for a second book to read

9 Replies

Hey everyone, i just finished "the book on flipping houses" its an amazing book! I'm looking for a second book and I've com across a lot of motivational/get rich quick stuff that seems pointless to me.    I will be joining my professional flipping friend on some flips soon so i just want to be more knowledgeable, not motivated.

Jay Great book by the way!

thanks all

After that book you might be disappointed in most of the rest of the books out there, I know I have been. If you grasp all of the concepts in Jay's book then you might move on to more 'meaty' type of books. Topics might include:

Real Estate Finance (gonna need money for the flips)

Building Code (specific to your area, it will be your bible for flips)

Interior design/decorating (unless you have someone to pick color palettes for you)

I have found that a majority of books out there are written to be motivational and aimed at a wide audience (to sell more books). Finding books that are truly educational can be tough. I'm sure BPrs can make some specific suggestions.

Staying excited and motivated is the name of the game, if you have that the rest will come! Good luck!

I've been fixed on finding a flip book but breaking down the process and looking for specific topics is a great idea! I definitely need to learn more about the buying and selling process (not acquisition) so I'll start there.  Interior Design is the most exciting part of the process for me so ill leave that for last.  Thanks Jonathan

I like this book. I also have the BP flipping book as well.

http://www.rehabinvestingbible.com by the guys at CT Homes on A&E Flipping Houses.

I would suggest the other BP books. Jay's book on estimating rehabs cost's will be very beneficial for you and Brandon Turner's book on investing with low and no money down will help you structure deals.

Thank you all for the kind words -- I sincerely appreciate it!

I definitely recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Every-Estate-Investor-Financ...

And I would highly recommend both a good finance textbook and then some books on construction (if you don't know that side of the business).  Basically, the types of books that will help you analyze deals, find money and manage renovations -- those tend to be the hardest parts of the business for most new investors (in my experience).

@J Scott Do you have any good recommendation for books on construction? I have zero knowledge on construction part of real estate beside watching those McFlipping on HGTV. 

Thank you!

Originally posted by @Roy C. :

@J Scott Do you have any good recommendation for books on construction? I have zero knowledge on construction part of real estate beside watching those McFlipping on HGTV. 

Thank you!

Unfortunately, I don't have anything specific to recommend, but I would start with anything you might find on the shelf at Home Depot (including the Home Depot Renovation book -- though that might not be the name).  You're not looking for enough information to actually learn how to do the renovation yourself; instead, you want enough information to know what needs to be done and to ensure that your contractors are doing things the appropriate way.

Perhaps someone else here can recommend a good book on construction? 

Originally posted by @J Scott:
 instead, you want enough information to know what needs to be done and to ensure that your contractors are doing things the appropriate way.

Yup that's exactly what I was hoping for.  I was wondering if there is a book that can pinpoint guidelines and things to watch out when dealing with contractors.  if not book, maybe youtube clips?

I recommend "Buy Low, Rent Smart, Sell High" by Andy Heller, as well as his other books. They're educational and great for newbies, he describes why he does the things he does. He has a very specific method, but there are a lot of takeaways no matter what your method. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here