Bath remodel DIY Labor hour estimate

10 Replies

Hi,

I have a 5 by 8 bathroom remodel DIY project. The bathroom is down to stud but insulation is already in place. All the plumbing roughin are done. All electrical work is done. Door is already installed.

I am planning to do all work myself as I have experience installing a bathtub/tiles vanity. Can you guys help me appx estimate of labor hours I will have to put into it. The following are the task.

1- install backerboad on all 4 walls.

2- install toilet seat

3- install single vanity

4- floor tiles( area= 4 x8)

5- Tiles on all 4 walls

6- paint cieling.

I am just looking for a ball park labor hours required if all work is done by a single experienced person.

Also is there any website/software/tool that I can use for future estimate.

Thanks

@Rao V.  

Whats your level of Construction Knowledge?

where do you rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 5.

national average construction worker hourly wage: $20 

estimated small-size full bath remodel hours: 200 

divide hours by the # workers, in your case, 1.

(note: a standard-size full bath remodel hours would be closer or even in excess of 300)

source: experience & national stats

Hello. there. Including the waiting time to allow the thinset to dry on walls and floors before the grout this should be done in 2 days

I would rate my experience level 4 on a scale of 1 to 5

Originally posted by @Eduardo Cedeno :

Hello. there. Including the waiting time to allow the thinset to dry on walls and floors before the grout this should be done in 2 days

You mean 2 days by one person working 8 hrs  a day. so the total is 16 hrs? correct

^thats a renovation, not a remodel.

Originally posted by Account Closed:

national average construction worker hourly wage: $20 

estimated small-size full bath remodel hours: 200 

divide hours by the # workers, in your case, 1.

(note: a standard-size full bath remodel hours would be closer or even in excess of 300)

source: experience & national stats

200 man hours for a small bathroom?  That doesn't make the slightest sense.  That is 5 40 hour weeks for one person or 2 and a half weeks for 2 people.  Unless it's an addition I just don't see it.  $20 an hour might be an employee rate not a rate charged by a contractor but since that's not part of the question we will skip that.

Rao as far as how much work you have ahead of you there is really no way of knowing without a lot more detail but none the less I'd dedicate a good 3 days to it give or take though.  Everything from tile size to those unexpected obstacles will play part in how long it takes.

i stated the national average wage of a construction worker. not contractor. (not sure why u pointed that out, then stated will skip that)

anyways, my estimates are on the conservative side for a full bath remodel, whether small or standard.

compare:

http://www.nkba.org/Learn/Homeowners/Tips/Remodeling/RealWorldBudgetingForBathroomRemodeling.aspx

If you have experience in doing all of the work and rate yourself in the top 80% of experience level why are you needing someone to tell you how long this will take, you should be telling us.

I'd estimate it at 7 full work days with one person. 4 days with 2. Add additional days to pass inspections.

We did a lot of bathrooms last year with most taken down to the studs. The first sub was him and 1 helper. They could hang rock, tape, prime/paint, set all the fixtures, tile the tub surround with a bench (bathrooms are 6' wide requiring a bench at the end of the tub), niche, tile floor, 4" tile baseboard and install all the finishes; towel bars, lights etc... In 4 days or around 70 man hours.

Sub 2 worked alone. The same scope took him 9 to 10 days or around 95 man hours.

Both do great work but sub 1 does bathrooms everyday so they are more systematic. 

Hope this helps!