Do what I say NOT what I do Undocumented workers

4 Replies

I am a newbie in the Houston market.  I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and have managed projects.  My goal is to rehab and sell.  I understand the need to use licensed/insured tradesmen for electrical, HVAC, plumbing,roofing and I will easily be able to obtain W-9, copy of insurance.

However, my plan for flooring/sheetrock/painting/siding is to use sub contractors that may not be able to produce a legitimate W-9, may not have insurance, etc.

Is this a bad decision?

It's not for non highly skilled workers, but you'll want to make sure you have insurance to cover those workers and not rely strictly on licensed contractor's insurance policies.

Thanks for the reply.  I am going to get ALL contractors to sign a contract.  I guess that I will also see what the insurance, that I use, requires.

Originally posted by @Jon Keeney :

Thanks for the reply.  I am going to get ALL contractors to sign a contract.  I guess that I will also see what the insurance, that I use, requires.

You plan to contract with all the subs directly?   Here that makes you the GC and the guy who better have insurance.

Have insurance intact to Cover Yourself and your projects. What happens if one of the workers gets injured? Make sure you're prepared to have the  answers.

I'm in  Houston as well; doing a lot of wholesaling, however i'm looking to do a couplenof rehabs myself. Haven't done any in a while.

Jon,,let's connect. Would love to check out your projects.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here