Contractor Referrals (Houston, TX)

17 Replies

Greetings, BP Team.

I am putting the puzzle pieces together in order to get ready for my first project, and ask that Houston-area investors reach out to me with the names of trusted contractors.

Specifically, I am in need of a general contractor that:

1. 1. provides estimates of rehab works that come reasonably close to actuals (firm bids would be a plus),
  2. 2. is able and willing to do cosmetic work as well as studs-deep rehabs,
  3. 3. has a dependable crew(s) and is known to hit targeted completion dates,
  4. 4. is knowledgeable of Houston / Harris County permitting and inspection requirements.

As this will be the first of a long line of profitable projects, I really appreciate your referrals and any other recommendations that you could lend me.

Thanks in advance!

Johnie

@Johnie Hopkins

Wow not even one recommendation? This is sad. I sometimes think about becoming a GC myself since all the ones out there seem to be really bad. It's the never ending story. Is it that hard to be a good GC and be honest about your work? I don't know. Maybe people don't want to mention the good ones in fear they will go work to someone else.

I would suggest talking to Hard Money lenders. They work with GCs all the time and could probably recommend a few good ones.

My $0.02.

Dennis

Hi @Johnie Hopkins ,

You may try facebook groups such as "Houston Real Estate Investors" and "713Houston Area Real Estate Investor". Flippers and wholesalers are there, they can give you referrals.

@Dennis Rodriguez and @John Truong - Thank you both for providing input.

After the initial overwhelming response to my post (bad joke), my colleague referred me to www.thumbtack.com that facilitates meetings between investors/homeowners and service providers of all types.

I will definitely get a few referrals from the local REIA, as well.

Wish me luck!

@Johnie Hopkins You could try angie's list dot com. There are lots of good and bad reviews of contractors on there.

Thanks for the heads up, @David Ward .  I have found two contractors that I am interested in via Thumb Tack and will attempt to do a cross-reference using Angie's List. 

@Johnie Hopkins I am also looking for a general contractor recommendation in the Houston area (north houston). Have you been able to find one that you are happy with?

Originally posted by @Jason Baehr :

@Johnie Hopkins I am also looking for a general contractor recommendation in the Houston area (north houston). Have you been able to find one that you are happy with?

I had a terrible one on my project and then found a good one who has taken over and done great work. From cement, studs, flooring, etc. Its a husband and wife team that has really bailed me out and gave me a great deal. PM me for contact info.

@Johnnie Hopkins how did your contractors work out?  I'm new to Houston and looking to do some fix and flips.  Any advice?  

Not many people want to give up the name of their contractor, especially online for everyone to see. That's the nature of the business. It sounds elementary but you have to think like a contractor; What would a contractor want in a client? 

I know if I were a contractor, I'd want a cash/hard money client who's decisive and doesn't waste time. How do you let a contractor know you're serious?

- Furnish a proof of funds to show them you are serious.

- Don't drag your contractor around to more than 2 or 3 properties without pulling the trigger on 1 of the deals. It's unreasonable unless you are actually staffing this contractor.

- Show them listings or HUD's of recent deals you've done to prove you might bring repeat business (If applicable).

- A lot of the trouble is finding a good, professional contractor that will STAY good & professional. Try bringing a couple contractors to bid a house at the same time. I find the good ones don't care about other contractors being there. The hard to deal with contractors are the ones who get mad and leave.

- Reach out to local agents and wholesalers over the phone or in person at networking events. They are usually quick to give out that information if they think you might bring them some business.

Trey Watson, Real Estate Agent in Colorado (#100071118) and TX (#632448)
(713) 208-0560

@Vanda Crossley I have only met and discussed details with the contractors that I mentioned above.  As both have taken me by their other projects, I can say that I am impressed, but cannot personally vouch for their work products.

If you still want the contact information, I will share it through the BP messenger.

Good luck!

As a mortgage broker, I run into this question quite a bit.  I've always found Angie's List contractors to be high-priced compared to ones I've run across via referral.  On the remodels I've done, Nash Industries has always done a good job and are reasonably priced. 

If your budget is tight, the best option may be for you to supervise the work yourself and hire qualified tradesmen directly.  

Hi Guys,

As a fellow investor, I recently completed 2 renovation projects and went through the pains of screening several contractors. Some bids were crazy high while and I decided to go with one that was very low.  I learned why it was so low and paid for it.  Luckily I gave him a small job (guest bath) before giving him the rest.

I ended up going with a family recommendation and couldn't be happier.  It was completed on time and on budget.  

Please PM me or send me an email for recommendations and I'll send you photos of some of the work we did together.

Thanks!

Adrian Lopez

Thanks Adrian, you can email me the information. Do you think they can do a total tear down and rebuild? Much appreciated.

Hello BP!  I am looking as well! I am looking for GCs that can do SF and MF, can do a new building on raw land, full rehabs of beat down properties, and touch-ups (I like the lipstick metaphor), and require little supervision.

I also really like @Johnie Hopkins original four points:

1. 1. provides estimates of rehab works that come reasonably close to actuals (firm bids would be a plus),
  2. 2. is able and willing to do cosmetic work as well as studs-deep rehabs,
  3. 3. has a dependable crew(s) and is known to hit targeted completion dates,
  4. 4. is knowledgeable of Houston / Harris County permitting and inspection requirements.

Please PM me or email!

This post has been removed.

This post has been removed.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.