Cheap Dishwasher delivery and install $49 at Home Depot!

Cheap Dishwasher delivery and install $49 at Home Depot!

Douglas LarsonPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2008 · 410 posts · 337 votes

I have no affiliation with the big orange retailer and I often DIY things like dishwasher installation but I went to pick up a replacement for a broken unit at one of my rental homes and found a sale going on for the dishwasher (a decent whirlpool) for $348 and the delivery and install is just $49 right now. That's a big no-brainer for this lazy landlord! 

Just wanted to pass along the info to any other rehabbers or landlords.

Have fun!

2Reply
102 views

Most Popular Reply

Linda WeygantPro Member
Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y

This is how my last (only) dishwasher install went.

Try to pull out old dishwasher.  Discover it's catching on the tile flooring.  Break a nail down to the quick when the dishwasher doesn't give quite like I was expecting it.  

Curse and suck on finger for a while.

Glare at dishwasher.

Spend a few minutes fiddling with the leveling feet.  Realize I'm turning them the wrong way.  Start turning them the right way

Cut my finger on some miscellaneous thing under the dishwasher.  

Curse

Wonder if my tetanus shot is up to date

Go in search of a band-aid

Come back, play with the leveling feet some more.

(20 minutes later)

Scootch the dishwasher out a millimeter at a time by rocking it and easing it between the tile lip and the underneath of the counter.  Curse when I crush my fingers for the 10th time. 

Discover that I'm bleeding all over the floor from earlier cut.  Look for a rag to clean it up.

More cursing

Change the bandaid.  Still bleeding a little.

(This is why you should tile all the way to the wall, not just up to the counters)

Finally pull the dishwasher out far enough to unhook it.  Dribble water all over the floor.  Look for a rag to clean it up.  Try not to drag the electrical through the puddle.

Curse some more

Remember to turn off the circuit.  Stare at the electrical panel for a little while and remind myself that I really need to remember to label all the circuits.

Go find a Sharpie

Spend some time flipping circuits and writing on the electrical panel.

(30 minutes later)

Back to the kitchen

More water has dribbled out.  Clean it up.

Pull the old dishwasher out far enough to get it out of the way.  I look like a pregnant rhino doing this, I'm sure.  It's this messed up combination of a waddle and pushing and heaving and lifting a little.  I'm about 140 lbs and not all that tall, so this is really a ridiculous endeavor for me to be doing.

Remember that I have rags to put under the feet so they don't scratch up the floor

Curse as I find a scratch in the floor

Scootch the new unit into the space.  Luckily somebody helped me carry it in.

Hook up the electrical.  That part isn't so bad.  

Hook in the plumbing.  Try to find the connector that I JUST HAD A MINUTE AGO!

Search around

Curse

Contemplate going to Home Depot to get a new one.

Think to check the old dishwasher.  Yep.  Still on there.  

Hook up plumbing.  Shove it all in back.

Start scootching the dishwasher in some more.  Nasty clunking sound as it slides off the tile lip.  Wonder if I've broken anything.

Crush my fingers.

Curse

Scootch in a millimeter at a time.

Sh**.  Did I just pinch the hose?

Scootch back out.  Shine a flashlight back there.  Bump my head trying to see if anything is pinched.

Curse

Nope.  Hose is fine.

Scootch back in.

Play with leveling feet to get it level.  Screw 3 out of 4 times the wrong way.  Also tough to do with bandaid.  

Is that blood?

Turn on machine, test it through an entire cycle

Check for leaks.

Give it a final hip check to shove it in.  

Curse (that'll bruise)

Attach to the cabinets and countertops.

Spend a few minutes putting the kick plate on.  Upside down the first time, as always.

Beer

I know I agreed originally when somebody said it takes 20 minutes.  I agreed because I just assumed that it **should** take that long.  But this one took me 2 1/2 hours.  And NO trip to Home Depot.  

Almost all of my projects require at least 2 trips to Home Depot, so I called this project a win.

What?  Your projects go better?

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    dishwasher takes 20 mins to install.  

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @George P.:

    dishwasher takes 20 mins to install.  

     True.  But they are a PITA to transport and carry.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Linda Weygant:
    Originally posted by @George P.:

    dishwasher takes 20 mins to install.  

     True.  But they are a PITA to transport and carry.

     i have never picked up one at the store. always free delivery from HD.

  • Homeowner · Signal Hill, CA · Member since 2015 · 521 posts · 70 votes
    11y

    i noticed both home depot and lowes are always/often flooded with clearance models of dishwashers for like $75 for the dw.. if only OTHER major appliances would be so deeply discounted!

    around here seems nobody wants/uses them... except for china/tupperware storage =D

  • Douglas LarsonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2008 · 410 posts · 337 votes
    11y

    @George P.

     You must be amazing with a wrench because it always takes me an hour to take out the old unit and put in the new one! Then, there is the trip to dispose of the dead appliance. Home Depot takes the old one away, included in the special $49 rate. Call me lazy but I am stoked!

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @George P.:

    dishwasher takes 20 mins to install.  

    I've never seen a dishwasher properly installed in 20 minutes. This involves plumbing, and anything involving plumbing can be tricky for the inexperienced. Also, dealing with electrical in tight spaces can be challenging.  "This Old House" says difficulty level Moderate and time 1 - 2 hours, which includes prep time. Besides, I don't want any unplanned trips to the hardware store for a fitting or materials I discover I need when connecting a new appliance to existing plumbing/electrical. I'm with @Douglas Larson on this one.

  • Investor · Century, FL · Member since 2015 · 950 posts · 603 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Marcia Maynard:
    Originally posted by @George P.:

    dishwasher takes 20 mins to install.  

    I've never seen a dishwasher properly installed in 20 minutes. This involves plumbing, and anything involving plumbing can be tricky for the inexperienced. Also, dealing with electrical in tight spaces can be challenging.  "This Old House" says difficulty level Moderate and time 1 - 2 hours, which includes prep time. Besides, I don't want any unplanned trips to the hardware store for a fitting or materials I discover I need when connecting a new appliance to existing plumbing/electrical. I'm with @Douglas Larson on this one.

    1-2 hours to install a dishwasher? Suppose if you have Stevie Wonder doing it, maybe.

    Disconnect output hose, turn water off at sink, remove water supply hose, pull out dishwasher, disconnect from mains, connect new one to leccy, water and waste, push back in, put dishes in, turn on, job done.

    How on earth do you spend more than say 30 minutes?

    Having said that - I'd happily pay a $49 install fee as it includes delivery. 

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    This is how my last (only) dishwasher install went.

    Try to pull out old dishwasher.  Discover it's catching on the tile flooring.  Break a nail down to the quick when the dishwasher doesn't give quite like I was expecting it.  

    Curse and suck on finger for a while.

    Glare at dishwasher.

    Spend a few minutes fiddling with the leveling feet.  Realize I'm turning them the wrong way.  Start turning them the right way

    Cut my finger on some miscellaneous thing under the dishwasher.  

    Curse

    Wonder if my tetanus shot is up to date

    Go in search of a band-aid

    Come back, play with the leveling feet some more.

    (20 minutes later)

    Scootch the dishwasher out a millimeter at a time by rocking it and easing it between the tile lip and the underneath of the counter.  Curse when I crush my fingers for the 10th time. 

    Discover that I'm bleeding all over the floor from earlier cut.  Look for a rag to clean it up.

    More cursing

    Change the bandaid.  Still bleeding a little.

    (This is why you should tile all the way to the wall, not just up to the counters)

    Finally pull the dishwasher out far enough to unhook it.  Dribble water all over the floor.  Look for a rag to clean it up.  Try not to drag the electrical through the puddle.

    Curse some more

    Remember to turn off the circuit.  Stare at the electrical panel for a little while and remind myself that I really need to remember to label all the circuits.

    Go find a Sharpie

    Spend some time flipping circuits and writing on the electrical panel.

    (30 minutes later)

    Back to the kitchen

    More water has dribbled out.  Clean it up.

    Pull the old dishwasher out far enough to get it out of the way.  I look like a pregnant rhino doing this, I'm sure.  It's this messed up combination of a waddle and pushing and heaving and lifting a little.  I'm about 140 lbs and not all that tall, so this is really a ridiculous endeavor for me to be doing.

    Remember that I have rags to put under the feet so they don't scratch up the floor

    Curse as I find a scratch in the floor

    Scootch the new unit into the space.  Luckily somebody helped me carry it in.

    Hook up the electrical.  That part isn't so bad.  

    Hook in the plumbing.  Try to find the connector that I JUST HAD A MINUTE AGO!

    Search around

    Curse

    Contemplate going to Home Depot to get a new one.

    Think to check the old dishwasher.  Yep.  Still on there.  

    Hook up plumbing.  Shove it all in back.

    Start scootching the dishwasher in some more.  Nasty clunking sound as it slides off the tile lip.  Wonder if I've broken anything.

    Crush my fingers.

    Curse

    Scootch in a millimeter at a time.

    Sh**.  Did I just pinch the hose?

    Scootch back out.  Shine a flashlight back there.  Bump my head trying to see if anything is pinched.

    Curse

    Nope.  Hose is fine.

    Scootch back in.

    Play with leveling feet to get it level.  Screw 3 out of 4 times the wrong way.  Also tough to do with bandaid.  

    Is that blood?

    Turn on machine, test it through an entire cycle

    Check for leaks.

    Give it a final hip check to shove it in.  

    Curse (that'll bruise)

    Attach to the cabinets and countertops.

    Spend a few minutes putting the kick plate on.  Upside down the first time, as always.

    Beer

    I know I agreed originally when somebody said it takes 20 minutes.  I agreed because I just assumed that it **should** take that long.  But this one took me 2 1/2 hours.  And NO trip to Home Depot.  

    Almost all of my projects require at least 2 trips to Home Depot, so I called this project a win.

    What?  Your projects go better?

  • Investor · Prairieville, LA · Member since 2015 · 311 posts · 424 votes
    11y

    I stopped giving estimates for how long a given job will take.  A 5 minute job often turns into a 4 hour job.  Sometimes they go as planned, sometimes not!

  • Stockbridge, GA · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    @Linda Weygant Oh my, LOL!  Great post ... $49 delivery & installation sounding better & better!

    @Douglas Larson Thanks for the information...I will be needing 4 for a quad closing end of this month.  @George P Wonder if I can you to prove your expertise on installing in 1/2 hour x 4 .... it's just two hours .... LOL!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2014 · 461 posts · 262 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @David S.:

    I stopped giving estimates for how long a given job will take.  A 5 minute job often turns into a 4 hour job.  Sometimes they go as planned, sometimes not!

    This is my life both at home and when I did my fix and flip. My wife will/does ask "How long will that take?" and whenever I say "Oh, easy. 20-30 minutes" it always ends up being 2.5 hours when I count in the trip to Lowes because I need something. The same thing happens when she asks "How much will it cost?". I've stopped trying to answer that last one. 

  • Investor · Taylorsville, GA · Member since 2014 · 352 posts · 540 votes
    11y

    @Linda Weygant - ha, ha.  THAT was funny!

  • Douglas LarsonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2008 · 410 posts · 337 votes
    11y

    UPDATE:

    So, the Home Depot guys went to my rental home on the day specified. They were early but my tenants were there to receive them. They called to tell me that they couldn't complete the install because they couldn't remove the old unit. I guess a previous owner of the home had installed the floor tile right up to the feet of the DW without removing the unit or the cabinets. This is not uncommon and is often hidden by the toe kick.  I told them to "get creative" but they seemed unable or unwilling to think outside the box. 

    I drove to the home, about 10 minutes away, and spent literally 60 seconds inside my house. I lifted a little on the laminate countertop and gave them just enough space to pull out the old unit. I then showed them the breaker for the DW and left for a lunch meeting. My tenants said that everything else went well and thanked me for the new unit but I haven't made it back over to see for myself. So much for complete hands-off delegation . . . still worth it though!

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    IF they show up on time and IF they bring the tools to actually do the installation. We had one crew show up over 2 hours late without a crescent wrench to remove a gas stove and install a new one.

    What would have taken us an hour to do ended up taking 3+ because we hadn't though to bring an extra crescent wrench and had to do it ourselves and none of the neighbors had the wrench either.

    At least they refunded our $49.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.