Bathroom, Circa 1964 - Poop Brown - suggestions?

24 Replies

Here for your viewing pleasure (NOT) we have a bathroom circa 1964.  Built strong and tough, but ugly and waiting for poop brown to come back in fashion.   

Other than ripping it out, any suggestions on a "accent" color that will make this palatable?

Anyone have experience on having reglazing done?  Cost? Durability?

Poop brown or neutral?  My wife and I ague about this kinda' thing... I would just get a colorful shower curtain and towels to dress it up. I guess it depends if you are renting it or selling it.  If it's rental, I wouldn't spend any money to reglaze.  I've seen some of  those go poorly over time.

Originally posted by @Glenn McCrorey :

Poop brown or neutral?  My wife and I ague about this kinda' thing... I would just get a colorful shower curtain and towels to dress it up. I guess it depends if you are renting it or selling it.  If it's rental, I wouldn't spend any money to reglaze.  I've seen some of  those go poorly over time.

My thoughts exactly on the re-glaze.   It is a a rental, low end apartments that will not support a bathroom remodel.  There are 10 of them exactly the same.   I like your thinking.  They will be referred to as "nuetral tones" from now on.

I would also agree, I would turn your thinking upside down.  Not "poop brown" but "creamy milk chocolate glaze". Put some red and/or dark brown towels and shower curtain in there and you can make it look nice!

I think it's actually a lot better than the pepto pink and sky blue ones I'm used to seeing. I think this is definitely a workable neutral. I've never seen any that have been reglazed last long term and then you will have a remodel on your hands. 

Looks like money to me.

I agree with @Dawn Anastasi - a really bright color, like a crimson or cobalt blue or a kelly green, or a very dark color such as very dark brown or even black will pull the focus away from the -ahem- neutral milky chocolatey poopy brown glaze.  (that really is a hideous color).  

Looks like my bathroom.

It's just a place to poop and wash the stink off yourself, WTF you want?

@Donald Hendricks  Hi there, fellow Bryanite. Where are the apartments? Recent purchase?   Most of the filps we do have the same bathroom but in blue and pink.  We have had the pleasure of ripping them out! We have a unique one at the moment that is mint green. It is kind of cute.  We are actually going to keep it. Never thought I would say that!  Good luck on the rentals!

Wow. It's not so much the color, but the overuse of it!  I like the Tiffany blue accent color @Michael Delpier suggested.  My first thought was to change the bathtub at least to a white or some other color.  

Here's an all brown bathoom, but with a white bathtub:

http://crevero.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/bath...

Could you add a frosted glass sliding door to the tub?  It would hide the wall-o-poop-er-neutral-brown, so it wouldn't be such overkill.  Like this:

http://www.bathauthority.com/images/shower/Doors/b...

Just adding the bathtub shower doors might work, but if you also changed the tub to a white one, I think it would break up all that brown, and look nicer.

Another cheap fix might be to change out the linoleum to a lighter design with a lot of white, if the flooring is linoleum.  I couldn't tell if it's also tile.  If it's tile, then never mind changing the flooring.

If you just put in a white tub, added white frosted glass shower doors, it should really transform it.

Having spent 12 summers living in Appalachian coal region. I'm just happy the place is clean, the toilet flushes, and I don't have to make the hot water on the stove.

People today are spoiled.

This is why I have no interest in residential real estate.

It's a rental - my opinion is to leave it alone. And if the $#!+ hits the fan - or the walls or floor - it won't be as noticeable :)

I'm not seeing what the big issue is with the color, it's a neutral. By the time you hang up some towels, there's not much there to see. I'd go with a  Glass Shower Door and give it a more modern style. The 60's had some classic mid century modern style houses. 

You could reglaze it but it can be damaged . I reglazed a rental about 8 years ago and it's held up decently, but the soap dishes are back to pink (yes, it was pink!)  There were also a few nicks around, too.

It was supposed to be a flip, but had issues with the buyer who was renting it and decided to rent it and it turned into a money pit instead :(

Anyhow, just had a handy man redo the soap dishes and it looks ok now. He used something called Homax for the touch up.

If you reglaze, just make sure you get a good company. It's all about the prep and they use some nasty stuff to etch the tiles to make the stuff stick.

I think it cost about $1000 to do a similar size bathroom.

The tiles look to be in good shape, if you keep them, get them really clean and nice crisp grout lines and caulk helps the look.  I have 1950 grey tile in my bathroom (luckily I didnt get the pink or mint colors) and it was well done and still looks good.

Good luck

Jeff

If this is a rental, I would save the money on the remodel and I probably wouldn't even relgaze...this really is a pretty nice relic from the old days and it looks like it's in really great shape. 

I like it.  I would be very happy with it

I would keep it as is. What do other rentals in the area look like? 

If you chose to reglaze, Whiz Yellow would be the obvious choice...someone had to say it lol

Originally posted by @Karen Margrave :

... I'd go with a  Glass Shower Door and give it a more modern style. The 60's had some classic mid century modern style houses. 

It's a rental. Better to have tenants take their moldy shower curtains with them than leave you with a moldy enclosure to clean. I have some rental units with shower doors - sometimes it can't be avoided like for the unit with the neo-angle shower. But a rod and tenant bringing a curtain is usually less effort for the landlord in the long run. And for the users who think that the tenant might not close the curtain totally, well the same goes for the slider doors that get used on a tub. 

@Donald Hendricks

What is the value on the house? How many square feet? The fact that something is a rental doesn't mean that people don't appreciate or would care for higher end finishes. I can tell you that here in Orange County, 60's style homes that have been updated go for top dollar. 

Give us more information on the market and you can get better information. At the same time, if you want serious comments, don't put things like "poop brown" lest you get childish responses such as 'whizz yellow" (boys and their bathroom fascinations) 

Originally posted by @Karen Margrave :

@Donald Hendricks

What is the value on the house? How many square feet? The fact that something is a rental doesn't mean that people don't appreciate or would care for higher end finishes. I can tell you that here in Orange County, 60's style homes that have been updated go for top dollar. 

Give us more information on the market and you can get better information. At the same time, if you want serious comments, don't put things like "poop brown" lest you get childish responses such as 'whizz yellow" (boys and their bathroom fascinations) 

It is a low end 10 unit apartment bldg in nowhere Texas.  Currently renting at $300 a month, but rents are being raised to $400.00 and that is about all that can be squeezed out of it or the forseable future.   

BTW, I appreciate toilet humor, its not all snobery and business in my world.

Ok well that helps give a better idea of the situation. I thought it was a house. Sorry. As for the bathroom humor, I have had lots of boys around over the years, and it never fails to amaze me at the laughs they get from bathroom humor - as a woman, I'e changed so many dirty diapers in my life, I'd prefer not to have to think about them again! LOL so I guess it all depends on your point of view. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.