Replacing kitchen appliances - easy?

8 Replies

I'm looking to freshen up my A class property kitchen with some new appliances (stove/oven, dishwasher, and range vent), sink, and a granite counter top.  

How difficult is this to do?  

Is it just a matter of ordering appliances off Best Buy or Home Depot that fit the space and then have them come and remove the old and install the new?

For a granite counter top do I need to get new cabinets?

http://imgur.com/a/cQBua

@Petra M.

Typically, if you're dealing with a range/oven combo, it's a simple drop in.  You just need to measure the width of the opening to ensure you are getting the same sized appliance.  Dishwasher is even easier, as they have basically standard widths.  (Although, I'm a little neurotic about that kind of thing, so I would probably measure anyway.)  The vent-a-hood is likely the most complicated of the appliances you've mentioned.  However, it's still a measurement issue.  You'll just have to ensure the venting mechanism lines up with the existing plumbed vent.  Some of the hoods like the ones that mount to the underside of the cabinet are very simple to install.  I know Best Buy will handle the dishwasher and oven/range install, but I'm not sure about the vent.  You would have to check.  Home Depot will install everything.

As for the counters, there shouldn't be any reason to replace the cabinets, unless someone did something really squirly installing the existing counters.  It is more likely, depending on what the current counter tops are composed of and how they were installed, that you might have to to have some under layment work done.  Again, Home Depot could take care of all that, if you buy the counters from them and pay for the install.  Or, you could go directly to a granite shop.  They do the installs with the purchase.

usually it's pretty easy, just expensive!

We also have higher end rentals (class a). What type of appliances do you currently have in the home? Is there any particular reason you are wanting to replace them at this time?

While we have tried to make a point to update as they items break (upgraded bathroom when tub broke not just replace). We have found that totally updating older be in good working order, does not have a huge return on value.

Just food for thought

Originally posted by @Petra M. :

I'm looking to freshen up my A class property kitchen with some new appliances (stove/oven, dishwasher, and range vent), sink, and a granite counter top.  

How difficult is this to do?  

Is it just a matter of ordering appliances off Best Buy or Home Depot that fit the space and then have them come and remove the old and install the new?

For a granite counter top do I need to get new cabinets?

Oh, and does anyone know what a ballpark price I should be expecting to pay?

http://imgur.com/a/cQBua

Best Buy and Home Depot are very expensive. I would order online and stock them, hire a contractor to install them. Appliances are usually couple of minutes, but a day minimum should be around $400/day for 2 guys pretty much it could cover everything you need to install in a day. Your granite prices at 130-600/slab, I would say for class A you are looking at 450-500 area, one slab is around 8 feet x 21" (or 24") for your regular bullnose, installation is around 300-400/slab. Cabinets looks good, perhaps paint them or reface them, about 1500-2500.

For me granite runs $38/sq foot but includes fabrication/installation and a new under mount sink.

For appliances just do your research. There will be some slight variation in price from the big stores. I recommend buying during a sale event like Memorial day. Just make sure you MEASURE properly and order the correct energy source (gas vs electric) depending on what you currently have.

You shouldn't need to change cabinets in order to get stone counters unless something weird is going on like @Hattie Dizmond  says. I've had granite installed onto pre existing cabinets no problem.

Are you having a hard time finding tenants? Are prospective tenants all commenting that the kitchen isn't acceptable?  Are any of the things you mentioned replacing broken in some way?  Unless you answered yes to one of those, I would try to rent as is. 

Start with a trip to a big box store. 4th of July is right around the corner, appliances will be less expensive.

Your kitchen is pretty now, but outdated. If you want to spend the money to make it look nicer, it may help rent faster, but don't expect a lot of return on your investment. 

Black appliances look nicer than white ones, and are less expensive than stainless steel. The cabinets should be fine as is. Replacement cabinets can be expensive. I like the off-the-shelf brand at Home Depot and put them into my own kitchen. They only come in about 30 or so sizes, so they aren't totally custom. I was able to fit my own space just fine.

Granite can be had from the discount places at really low (relatively speaking) prices. But it can go up to hundred of dollars a linear foot, so make a budget and stick to it. They have come out with a laminate countertop that looks like granite, as a less expensive option.

If you do go with granite, make sure you seal it as frequently as you are supposed to. (Every year or every 10, depends on the installer.) And keep this stain remover recipe handy: Acetone (nail polish remover) and baking soda. stir enough together to form a thick paste. Put on top of stain, cover with plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out. Check daily, then reapply until stain is gone. Make sure you test an inconspicuous area first to see if this recipe does any damage to the stone.

Someone spilled butter on my freshly installed granite counters, and this trick pulled the oils out of the counter for me.

Thanks everyone. Dishwasher is forming rust in it so I was going to replace that.  While thinking of replacing the dishwasher I figured I should just replace it all. But, I may try to rent it out as is... Comps in the area have similar or nicer kitchens but I doubt I'll get a bump in rent that would make up the cost. Granite tops may be overkill and I may just leave the counters as is. Thanks!!! Love bp. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here