Do you trust meth remediation?

9 Replies

I am considering buying an old house in Colorado that has undergone methamphetamine remediation. If I bought it, I would rehab it and use it as a vacation home and rental.

It seems that some people don't trust remediation efforts to fully remove health hazards -- even if the remediation procedures follow state law. Aside from health threats, there also is the economic danger that a stigma of previous meth activity would make the property harder to rent or sell.

If you have experience with such a property or have expertise in remediation, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Would you move into a house that had meth remediation?

I would only buy it for the price of the dirt, demo it and rebuild.  I would only do that if you no longer had to disclose that it was previously a meth house (not sure if it follows the building improvements of the land).

Medium bc bKatie Neason, Renovation Wranglers | [email protected]

@Bob Hucker I am not an expert. I did look into purchasing a meth house at one point. The conclusion I came to was pass. The concern I had was the fumes soaking into the porous wood and subsequently returning to the air for the occupants of the home to breathe. This concern was primarily my own deduction based on discussion with people who had been in re-meditated properties. They seemed to still experience ill affects.

Medium rre 1to1 small sizeBill S., Reliant Real Estate, Inc. | 720 207‑8190

If you're unsure, get it re-tested by a reputable company.  We have a great one in Colorado called Forensic Applications Consulting Technologies, Inc.

Colorado Meth Remediation Company

The guy that owns and runs the company is a former drug enforcement cop and really knows his stuff.  I've had them test 4 houses and have luckily only had one come out "hot".

I thought that, here in Colorado, once a property has been remediated and certified, you no longer had to disclose that meth used to be there.  Can anybody verify?

Medium cluebussol logo3inLinda Weygant CPA, Clue Business Services, Inc. | [email protected] | Podcast Guest on Show #244

Originally posted by @Linda Weygant :

...I thought that, here in Colorado, once a property has been remediated and certified, you no longer had to disclose that meth used to be there.  Can anybody verify?

That is correct. (just passed the CO broker exam last week, so it is fresh in my mind. It came up quite a bit in the study materials)

Medium team zen logo vJean Bolger, 33 Zen Lane | http://www.solidrealestateadvice.com

@Linda Weygant   

@Jean Bolger

When I was looking at an opportunity in CO a few years ago that had gone through remediation and learned from the neighbors the history of the home. If you didn't disclose it, you would certainly get a reputation. It was a REO and the bank certainly didn't mention it and wasn't willing to talk about. We got more info from the Sheriff's office. We decided to pass primarily because we weren't willing to live in it and it would certainly limit the rental opportunity.