Renovating 60s Brick Ranch. Layout questions

3 Replies

We are currently renovating a 1960s brick ranch we just moved into. We are working on opening up walls in the main areas to improve the layout. We are closing off the existing formal dining from the kitchen since it is too small for a modern dining room in our eyes. We to use one o the two living areas as a dining instead. We have gutted the whole kitchen, which had an eat in, and making the whole thing a bigger kitchen. We opened the wall between the two living areas as much as possible without moving the two main hvac returns. Now we are wanting to removed a 3 foot section of wall between the kitchen and the rear living area. It also turns out to be structural, so I'm going to have to put a header and column to support this across where we want to put an island. I'm thinking of just running a header across the whole 12 foot opening and centering 2 columns, 1 on each side of the island. We plan on framing in the original door into the rear living area as well now that we have opened up the wall.

Here is a plan view of the kitchen layout as we see it now.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

A layout of the whole living/dining/kitchen areas would be easier for me to consider the options. These are my favorite puzzles to work out!

Originally posted by @Terry Hoefer :

A layout of the whole living/dining/kitchen areas would be easier for me to consider the options. These are my favorite puzzles to work out!

Thanks Terry, I will see if I can post an overall floor plan a little bit later so it makes more sense!

Well I thought I would update since we have made some progress on the remodel. 

I got most of the cabinets in yesterday. I was able to build these all at work, which saved me a ton of money. I still have to close in the soffits and run the valances below theuppers, put on toekicks, etc. 

I still have to install the cabinets on the sink wall. There will not be any uppers on this wall. I am going to build some open floating shelves.

We went with a floating bamboo wood floor in the living and kitchen. I still have to run all new trim and trim everywhere.

Everything you see in these two rooms is new drywall that I did myself, which is mostly what took so long.

This is what the cased openings look like from the other side.

I still have to get a plumber in to prep for the sink, dishwasher, disposal and run a new water line to the new fridge location.

I also have to get the electricians back in the finish up the Leds under the uppers and trim out the can lights and put in outlets, etc.

Then comes the stone countertops. I'm looking st another solid month I think before all is said and done.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.