Designer?

5 Replies

I'm thinking about hiring a designer that I would like to give my budget to for each room (kitchen/baths) and have them pick out all the materials/finishes. How much does that type of thing typically cost? I'm in MD..

What price range of house?

I will preface this by saying that this is just in MY experience - so designers, don't jump down my throat. But @Damien Clark my only 'gem of wisdom' is that no matter what budget you give a designer, in the end, they will have gone over by almost 100%. They will tell you all along the way that it will work out in the end, that their design will bring in so much more money. Its all smoke and mirrors.

Find the 10 highest priced comparable sales (in your appropriate range and maybe a little higher) and look for trends in colors, finishes, etc. Copy as needed. Its that simple. Could a "designer's touch" eke out an additional $10k in sale price? Maybe. Could they spend $40k more to get that extra $10k? Very likely.

I have to say, Travis is right, some designers take advantage when they work with cost plus jobs. I have worked with Custom Builders, Investors and Homeowners. They all have different needs. Usually for just picking materials out I charge my clients by the hour, around $25-$45 depending on how complex the job is and travel time. If I am providing a Kitchen Design with 3D Renderings then is by the job and page. If you need someone to find suppliers and manage the job then it is a set fee to start, plus a % of the job. Be upfront with the budget you have for the job and to cover their services, they should give you a total before even starting, including a 10% for any problem that may arise. Wouldn't you call back a designer that respects your budged, rather than inflating the job just to get more percentage? They just burn themselves. Good Luck!

Originally posted by @Ivelisse Matos :

I have to say, Travis is right, some designers take advantage when they work with cost plus jobs. I have worked with Custom Builders, Investors and Homeowners. They all have different needs. Usually for just picking materials out I charge my clients by the hour, around $25-$45 depending on how complex the job is and travel time. If I am providing a Kitchen Design with 3D Renderings then is by the job and page. If you need someone to find suppliers and manage the job then it is a set fee to start, plus a % of the job. Be upfront with the budget you have for the job and to cover their services, they should give you a total before even starting, including a 10% for any problem that may arise. Wouldn't you call back a designer that respects your budged, rather than inflating the job just to get more percentage? They just burn themselves. Good Luck!

Ivelissa, why can't you be in MD? I haven't found anyone. I tried hiring my stager to do it because they said they could handle it but that failed.. 

So sorry Damien! They fail because they forget that the customer needs come first. A good tool could be houzz.com, I spend a lot of hours there. If that website doesn't work, tell me what will you need to point you out in the right direction. Do you need them to find suppliers or just provide you with selections? do you need them to meet customers or potential buyers? Give me an scenario to see if I have more resources for you.

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide