Master bath with 1 sink?

11 Replies

I know the general consensus in a SFR is the master bath should have a double vanity. But has anyone successfully kept the master with a single sink vanity? We are rehabbing our current residence, which is a 1965 buit brick ranch, 3/2. It is very dated but we are ripping out all of the faux wall paneling, doing all new trim throughout, and completely gutting the kitchen, among other things. Initially we felt we could just paint, and put in new countertops and sink in the bathrooms, but I think after we finish the kitchen and everything else, that the bathrooms will stick out like a sore thumb.

I really honestly like our master batj, it has a single vanity. About 48" wide, a large toilet, and then a tiled walkin shower. We couldn't fit a double vanity without completely gutting and expanding it. I don't think thay is necessarily out of the question down the road. But Im not sure it is necessary, especially at this price point.

If we redo it, there is a hall closet behind the shower that is about the same size as the shower that could be made into the shower, and then the existing shower space could be the water closer, and then the vanity can take the space from the toilet. All of this is over about a 5 ft high crawl space.

Thoughts?

@Jacob Edmond

I think double vanities are a good selling feature, standard for most updated homes, but not necessarily a 'must have' in low price points.  With that said, I don't know the market you are in, the specifics of what you paid for the house, and if the comps will support an updated bathroom, but I will tell you, I think the bathroom is pretty darn ugly and dated. 

-Christopher

Medium 2016 04 25 cp logoChristopher Brainard, Contemporary Property | http://sellnow.vegas | NV Agent # 177490

Originally posted by @Christopher Brainard :

@Jacob Edmond

I think double vanities are a good selling feature, standard for most updated homes, but not necessarily a 'must have' in low price points.  With that said, I don't know the market you are in, the specifics of what you paid for the house, and if the comps will support an updated bathroom, but I will tell you, I think the bathroom is pretty darn ugly and dated. 

-Christopher

 Yeah everything in the house is ugly and dated currently. The same couple lived her for over 50 years. They house is in great shape though because of it. I think I know my answer, just wanted to see if others agreed it is a worthy investment. I think the kitchen and bathrooms will be where we make our money. Most of the other comps in the neighborhood that advertise as being 'updated' have original cabinets, just painted, with newer appliances, and painted wall paneling. We are replacing all of the paneling with drywall, 6" wood base throughout, 5" casing, and a complete kitchen reno. I work for cabinet and Millwork company to most of this stuff is cheap and easy as I can just pay material costs.

Kitchens and bathrooms sell houses!

901‑545‑9092

Jacob, technically a master bath is also an ensuite and will have a double sink vanity.  

I have known people to advertise their home as having a master bedroom (without a connected bath/ensuite). Well that's just another bedroom with a bath down the hall or worse yet downstairs from the bedroom...it's false advertising.  

Buyers walk away disappointed AND feeling a bit deceived.  The seller will realize that people aren't biting and will lower his price. 

I would bite the bullet and do the bigger bath now.  Do a contemporary look and it will still look great 10 years from now.  

It will sell quickly and for the price you are asking or close to it or perhaps for more than you are asking depending on the market.  Master bedrooms with ensuite are the standard now.    

My two cents. 

Originally posted by @James R. :

Jacob, technically a master bath is also an ensuite and will have a double sink vanity.  

I have known people to advertise their home as having a master bedroom (without a connected bath/ensuite). Well that's just another bedroom with a bath down the hall or worse yet downstairs from the bedroom...it's false advertising.  

Buyers walk away disappointed AND feeling a bit deceived.  The seller will realize that people aren't biting and will lower his price. 

I would bite the bullet and do the bigger bath now.  Do a contemporary look and it will still look great 10 years from now.  

It will sell quickly and for the price you are asking or close to it or perhaps for more than you are asking depending on the market.  Master bedrooms with ensuite are the standard now.    

My two cents. 

 Thanks! Great advice. I will have to do some more research on that. I definitely hate false advertising, though I'm used to seeing peoplease claiming bedrooms that don't qualify. I definitely think the reno is in the cards now.

What's your price point and target buyer? If it's First time home buyer under $125k I'd say save the money. One caveat though....I would also scout your competition of other homes for sale to see what they offer. It they have double vanities then you probably need to have one as well.
I don't mind a master bath with only one sink but I wouldn't ever be in the bathroom for any reason at the same time as my wife. I prefer a little mystery. All buyers are different and it might not be as big of a deal as realtor marketing and HGTV make it seem.

The bathroom is really ugly.  The soap dishes on  the wall have to go.  The mirror  is really terrible.  I don't think you  must have a double sink but you must udpate that room.  I don't remember ever being in our bathroom when someone else was using the other sink.    Everything should be new however in the bathroom, like glass tile and a great vanity and mirror  and lighting.  I would not enlarge it just to put a double sink in there.

I wouldn't get too carried away here...

You mentioned that other comps in the area that are 'updated' have original cabinets that have been painted...

If this is the case for the bathrooms as well, I imagine your master bathroom could beat the competition by simply replacing the vanity cabinet w/ a new single vanity, and installing new floor tile and toilet accessories.

IKEA has some fairly cheap 48" vanities that could class up that bathroom in a hurry...

David Robertson | 816‑388‑0197 | http://www.houseflippingspreadsheet.com

Originally posted by @David Robertson :

I wouldn't get too carried away here...

You mentioned that other comps in the area that are 'updated' have original cabinets that have been painted...

If this is the case for the bathrooms as well, I imagine your master bathroom could beat the competition by simply replacing the vanity cabinet w/ a new single vanity, and installing new floor tile and toilet accessories.

IKEA has some fairly cheap 48" vanities that could class up that bathroom in a hurry...

 Thanks David. Yeah replacing the vanity would be easy for me, I'm an engineer for a cabinet company by day. I'm thinking if I go this route I would just bust out all of the tile and start fresh.

In my experience you need at least 60" for a double vanity to work. 

If its 48" I would do a rectangle bowl.  Get a 36" stock vanity and a 12" Drawer bank for either the left or right side.   Expresso with light quartz counter or White with Dark Quartz Counter.  Im partial to Sparkling White and Sparkling Black right now for bathrooms.