Votes
Frank Adams
  • Loveland, CO
Votes |
Stupid suggestions I have heard

Frank Adams
  • Loveland, CO
Posted Aug 23 2008, 06:19

Over the past 30 years I thought I had heard just about every dumb thing possible, but in the last month I heard some truly idiotic things. I foreclosed on (actually scared my buyer into deeding back to me) a house in TX. When I arrived I found HUGE holes in a couple of walls, various wires within the walls had been cut, and some lengths removed, 5 interior doors that had been kicked in, truly nasty carpet, dead lawn, a kitchen that a hand grenade would have improved, a hole through the sheetrock and brick where a window/wall A/C had been removed, etc, etc.

While gathering my wits, and quotes for work, as well as getting a "team" of agents to give me some comps, here are some things things that people told me, BEFORE ANY WORK HAD BEEN DONE:

"You'll have to do a better job on that sheetrock over there". This, from an agent, was in reference to the oversized piece I had screwed over the hole that went all the way through the wall. I had put this up to keep bugs and birds out and keep cool air in-the house has central A/C.

"What this place really needs is to power wash the brick". This from a contractor who I called to give me an estimate on installing a window through the hole. I ended up patching both sides and painting the 'Hardie Board' on the outside a color close to the color of the brick.

"You'll never get your money back from retiling the kitchen counters". This from an agent.

"What this kitchen really needs is new trim around the window". Same agent.

"Are you planning on putting a ceiling fan in the living room?" Agent.

It took me about 3 weeks, and pretty close to $2,000 but it sold to the FIRST COUPLE that looked at it. AND I DIDN'T DO ANY OF THE STUFF SUGGESTED ABOVE.

Frank

Loading replies...