Urgent-Need a electrical panel cover made (Maryland)

7 Replies

In a bit of a bind. I'm missing a electrical panel cover/door on a old panel. It's no longer in production so I need one made. Anyone know of someone who makes these thats up to code? Would need to pass a home inspection. I'm in Maryland. Any help would be appreciated..

@Damien Clark  You'll probably have to replace the panel. Even if you could find someone to fabricate a door (which I doubt) it would not pass muster.  Electrical equipment must be tested and certified to be legal and acceptable to code. A house inspector is not able to do that and a homemade door would also be a liability issue for all involved in its installation. 

@Art this is what I'm afraid of.. 

If you can wait until Monday, call HLW Electric in Upper Marlboro (301-599-0100) and ask for Harold.  Tell him what you're looking for, he might have one laying around.  You'll need to be as specific as you can so he can see if he has the right one.

Originally posted by @Marc M. :

If you can wait until Monday, call HLW Electric in Upper Marlboro (301-599-0100) and ask for Harold.  Tell him what you're looking for, he might have one laying around.  You'll need to be as specific as you can so he can see if he has the right one.

Thanks Marc, I will call them first thing Monday morning..

Don't hold your breath.... contact an electrician and buy a panel for a couple hundred at any home depot.......OR, dare I say do it yourself???....pull the meter to prevent getting electrocuted, label and disconnect the wires, remove old panel, install new panel, reinstall the wires, reattach meter, turn on the main breaker and hold your breath..(you tube is good for specifics)

all you need is a sheet metal shop make to your dimensions. Some grey paint and your in business. No need to replace the panel. 

Originally posted by @Stephen Joyner :

all you need is a sheet metal shop make to your dimensions. Some grey paint and your in business. No need to replace the panel. 

I believe it's different in each state/county.. I've talked to a few inspectors and none of them said they would pass a cover/door that was made..

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.