Involved In Real Estate · Channahon, IL · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 1 vote
Hi Everyone!
So I finally took the plunge & bought a flip-in (a property to flip that I also live in while doing it). I have been doing good and tackled several smaller projects myself (paint, flooring, fixture replacement, etc.) However I am now at point where I have to take on the big one, a complete kitchen remodel. I know that is crazy for my first flip but I actually bend kitchens for years so I am comfortable with that. My concern is budget (my is significantly lower than most of my clients were). I am thinking about Ikea cabinets. I like the functionality of them but am concerned about wear & tear. Any one have some input on that? Thanks for the help in advance :-)
Rental Property Investor · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2014 · 414 posts · 272 votes
11y
Whatever you choose, I recommend installing self-stick vinyl floor tile in the base of the cabinet under the sink. Then you have a water-resistant surface that will not swell up and look damaged when people put cleaners there or have the inevitable drain leaks.
Real Estate Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2011 · 85 posts · 26 votes
11y
My husband is a DC contractor for over 20 yrs...he's had to assemble many kitchen cabinets from IKEA....they're aren't very sturdy and though they are more expensive than you can buy at the big box store the quality is"cheap". If you don't want to renovate your cabinets every 5 years or especially repair doors/drawers I wouldn't advise it. Oh, if you don't live near one the shipping is a deal breaker!
Involved In Real Estate · Channahon, IL · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 1 vote
11y
Thanks Char! Do you have a recommendation for better quality but still reasonably priced ones then? Has he ever used the interior components like lighting and pull outs from Ikea with other cabinets? I know nice kitchens and baths are what sell so I want it to wow more than the big box store cabinets do. I already have nice whirlpool gold stainless steel appliances and I plan on doing a tile backsplash which will help but I wanted the nice white shaker style door and have not seen that offered at home depot or Lowe's.
Cameron Park, CA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 9 votes
11y
Many people here have recommended RTA (Ready To Assemble) cabinets. That is what I plan on using in my house. They come shipped in flat boxes, and you put them together yourself. They usually have an easy assembly system that allows you to assemble each cabinet in just a few minutes.
Most RTA cabinet distributors don't use particle board like you'll find in the off the shelf Home Depot cabinets. They'll use plywood for the sides and back which makes them more durable and less prone to water damage. The fronts and doors are usually solid wood.
Just do a google search for RTA cabinets and you should find a bunch of websites for them.
Edit: Here is a link to a simple shaker cabinet I found real quick
Rental Property Investor · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2014 · 414 posts · 272 votes
11y
Whatever you choose, I recommend installing self-stick vinyl floor tile in the base of the cabinet under the sink. Then you have a water-resistant surface that will not swell up and look damaged when people put cleaners there or have the inevitable drain leaks.
Avon, IN · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 12 votes
11y
It's relative to the use of the space if it's likely to be a kitchen that is used a lot you may want to compare the quality of cabinets you are putting in. However if the demographic likely to live there would be using the kitchen on the lighter side it's safe to say IKEA cabinets would work well. I personally like their designs. If you have some time shop around. If you are in a larger metropolitan area it might be worth it to see if you have a local cabinet company and compare their prices and services. I think you will find its the countertops that can bury the budget.
Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2014 · 108 posts · 25 votes
11y
if you live close to a floor and decor they sell prefabricated slabs or stone which can be used for counter tops. You have to pick and install yourself or via contractor but the savings is worth it. You can also find places online that will deliver slabs but I haven't done that yet and I only found one that seems to do small quantities.
Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y
One thing that is cool about ikea wall
Cabinets is that they hang on a metal track that you screw into the wall before the cabinets go up. Much easier to hang than traditional cabinets if you're doing it solo.
Rehabber · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2013 · 864 posts · 510 votes
11y
I went into IKEA once and couldn't understand why people would pay those prices for what you were buying in there. The only value I saw was on handle pulls and they didn't have enough in stock to do a kitchen.
I've never used their cabs, so don't take my word for it, but they looked like crap disposable stuff when I looked at them and the pricing was't that great. Like has been said there are some good RTA stuff out there, although I buy them already assembled.
Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 27 votes
11y
Ikea just introduced a new cabinet system early this year with a lot of bells and whistles. They have pull out drawer options that give a kitchen a custom look and many different options for interiors. They also run a 20% off sale a few times a year. I think it is a great option. My husband and I plan on putting an Ikea kitchen in our house during the next sale.
Engineer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
I think IKEA and the big box store particle board cabinets are the worst way to go.
Go online for RTA cabinets or your local Chinese shop for knock-down shop cabinets. The value points for quality are just better.
Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y
We have RTA cabinets in our home that we acquired from Home Depot in 2001. They no longer carry this type. I would consider the quality "medium". They have held up well for us for 14 years raising three kids.
The sides of the drawers are coated steel, the cabinet facings are solid oak with oak plywood insets. The bulk of the other components are some type of particle board or MDF.
If I could find more of the same product, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
The last kitchen we redid in a sfh was comprised of unfinished oak assembled cabinets that were acquired from Home Depot and we painted them white. (note: when painting oak, a sealer needs to be used to keep the color from bleeding through)
Specialist · Passaic, NJ · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 6 votes
11y
Hi,
Ikea cabinets are tops in the area of style, but it ends there. There are many companies that sell all wood cabinets, fully assembled, and better quality than Ikea. The two main complaints that I hear about Ikea cabinets is their prices are way too high for what you're getting, and they have very limited amounts of cabinet sizes, thus not being able to design the Perfect kitchen. I hope this helps.
I think the real question is not about IKEA prices, quality or style, but what do buyers in your area expect in the price range you expect to sell. IKEA cabinets, hinges, drawers and racks have a very distinct style. The sleek, Scandinavian look of IKEA might not sell well to rural buyers that want the appearance and feel of rustic, knotty maple in their quaint, country kitchen.
With a high-end flip in some areas, IKEA would simply look like you cheaped-out.
In a low-end flip, IKEA kitchens would not make sense because of the price, assembly time and hassle factor of getting lost in the giant, blue maze of a store! In that case, stock cabinets at Lowe's or HD with a "Pro-Desk Discount" might be best choice.
There are areas and price-ranges and demographics though where an IKEA kitchen would be just perfect, even expected - eg. closer to the city, younger buyers, etc.
So, here is the advice:It's never about what you like!I think I have taste and decent design skills but it just doesn't matter! Identify your most likely buyers for your specific property and find out what they want. Visit model homes in the area or go into a few kitchen design showrooms and ask the sales people what styles are the most popular in homes of your size. Give the buyers what they want at a price they will pay and you will have a successful flip!
Kitchen Designer · Sanford, FL · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 3 votes
11y
I have work with RTA cabinets for the past 15 years. Love the Ikea "Look", but the quality, it's just not worth it. Specially if you are going with stone countertops, you need sturdy base cabinets.
Find an in town RTA cabinet retailer that can provide you with a design before you even install. There are a LOT of companies that don't have a clue of what they are doing. I have been assisting 3 of them in the last six months. Good Luck!
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
11y
@Dannielle Hoffman In some places Ikea cabinets are going to be perfectly acceptable. I do not think they are as bad as others think they are. I have been in some pretty nice kitchens that were surprisingly Ikea. But while it could be acceptable in certain neighborhoods, in others it will not be acceptable at all. This is where knowledge of the market is very important.
Also if you go to Home Depot and price some cabinets out, you might be surprised how cheap some descent cabinets are. I would stear clear of the Martha Stewart brand cabinets though. I think they are actually worse quality than the Ikea's, but cost a more.
Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 72 posts · 35 votes
11y
ikea in general is a very bad idea. I have done alot of handyman jobs assembling all sorts of ikea items. 98% of the items are super cheap just laying a piece on the bare floor will scratch it. It's all hollow composite wood that does not last under moderate use. Just about any other option out classes ikea. Do not be fooled.
Ikea is absolutely a great choice when buying cabinetry. They have a great warranty of around twenty five years, awesome German hardware and after this last recession are still in business with great customer service. It is totally worth considering when planning any renovation! I have a small design/build firm in Portland and Eugene Oregon. I have thoughtfully designed and installed many Ikea akurum and sektion kitchens for over 20 years that are still a beautiful asset to the properties we installed them in. If Ikea doesn't have a door style you like or you want solid wood, painted or custom one of a kind finish check out, Doors your way Portland, Kokeena doors Portland, Dendra doors Eugene, Semi hand made Palm Springs. and they ship to your door anywhere in the United States. Keep in mind its also a door and panel change away to remodel a thoughtfully designed Ikea kitchen where if your budget falls short, By Ikea's least expensive door and upgrade in the future with a few hours the German hardware allows easy snap in place insulation for the DIY's
Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
9y
I agree with John Webb
I've been using Ikea cabinets in rentals and flips for five years. I put them in the house I live in now. They are a tremendous asset to a landlord or flipper.
Don't worry about folks who say the boxes wouldn't hold up to granite.
I don't do any kitchens without granite or quartz. The boxes are engineered for heavy countertops. As long as the boxes are put together correctly and fastened as instructions detail, I have never had a problem.
I often use Ikea cabinets in built in projects as well. For this use I chop up boxes and customize them. And even when I do this I still haven't had a failure of the structure.
I keep an open mind on products. If anyone has a cabinet that has a great look that can compete with Ikea's prices I'd love to see finished pictures with a ballpark and how much the cabinets cost. I'll dig up some myself and post back here.
Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
9y
Anything with particle board structural members - sides, bottoms, frames - is best avoided no matter who the manufacturer is. These will be used in proximity with water, and if that particle board gets wet enough it eventually crumbles.
Look for cabinets with plywood sides and bottoms, and solid wood face frames - most of the "knock down" or "ready to assemble" cabinet products originating from China will have this sort of structure, and the price is almost always attractive to an investor's budget.
Real Estate Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 543 posts · 474 votes
9y
I'm not sure about all the negative comments here. We have used them in the last four houses we have remodeled. The white shaker style. We love them - buyers love them. We find them easy to assemble and install. Buyers like the look and the features, such as self closing drawers. We think they are perfect in the $350k and under range in our market (Minneapolis/St. Paul)
Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
9y
Steve Babiak if there's a leak in a cabinet I'm looking for a new plumber, not new cabinets.
My apartments are all inline with living space beneath them. Every one of them has hardwood flooring in the kitchen. I have a 24 hour or less repair policy in my rentals. I keep a close tab on water bills just in case. I train the tenants to call me when there is any kind of problem.
I've had the Ikea cabinets for over five years I my rentals. Never had any kind of failure of the structure. Worst that's happened is a scratch on the box while we were assembling.
I was just interviewing property managers for all my new stuff. One of them let me know they do a photo inspection of every apt every month for $25. One of the items, is a photo of the trap in the kitchen and bath. That's my new property manager.
Rental Property Investor · The Dalles, OR · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 42 votes
9y
I own a dozen rentals. I have installed full ikea kitchens and bathrooms in five of my places. I find these cabinets attractive, durable and easy to put together once you have done one. All of the Ikea cabinets (in kitchens, bathrooms, ect...) build exactly the same way, so once you have assembled some of their products, its easy to do anything else. My tenants love the look and they make the places feel much nicer than cheap stuff from Home Depot.
If you are going to hire a pro, they can do nicer, but it will cost more. If you're going to do it yourself, I don't think you'll be able to do much better than Ikea unless you have some super carpenter skills. They even sell trim kits and molding to fit and make things look pro.
Investor · Schaumburg, IL · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 2 votes
9y
I would not recommend doing IKEA cabinets in rentals. They are not sturdy. If I am not mistaken, they used particle board for their boxes instead of plywood. Particle board if expose to moisture will bulge in few years.
I would try to find a local supplier and look for all wood cabinets with nice construction. You can get very nice all wood cabinets for a 10x10 kitchen (about 14 cabinets) for about $1,600 to $1,800. Even cheaper if you do some research.