Do you need your own GC liscense

5 Replies

If you are buying houses and flipping them (as the owner) do you need to get a general contractors license/insurance if you are subcontracting out the work and doing some of the finish work/installing yourself? Specifically I am in MD. 

@Austin Carroll  I don't know about MD but you don't need a license in TN.  Homeowners are allowed to pull permits and hire anyone they want without a GC.  It gets a little more complicated though if you're doing a lot of houses.  If you "look" and "act" like a business, they will treat you like a business and you'll have to follow those rules but if you're only doing a couple houses per year they pretty much leave you alone.  Hopefully someone that knows the specifics in MD will chime in.

@Austin Carroll Every state is different. In my state- as a homeowner if you act as your own GC on an owner occupied property you have to live in it for atleast a year. Below is the link for Maryland GC requirements:

http://www.dllr.state.md.us/license/mhic/mhicapply.shtml

Why don't you tell your subs to pull the permit? A GC is only used when you're a business doing multiple trades at a time. If you're the owner, you are simply hiring someone to fix your house.

In Georgia, the answer is yes - if you need a building permit (not a trade permit) and you're working on a house that you are not occupying, you need a GC license.

in Md I can tell you no I pull permits for alot  of the people in Md  that flip you do not have to have a GC lic but it will help save you money, but you do have to have permits a must in Md, if we are getting them threw drawings are just pulling a strait electrical permit  are plumbing permit that a must and alot of times at settlement table people want to see them when new work is done.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here