Mold

18 Replies

We are pursuing a property that is very distressed, but in a great neighborhood.  I have not been inside yet, but know that the roof is bad/leaks, and we can see black mold on the windows from the sidewalk. 

If we use a profession mold removal company (and have air quality test done) do we still need disclose the mold issue on the disclosure statement?

@Patrice B.  Hi Patrice, yes you will still need to disclose the mold on your sellers disclosure because it was there and then remediated While you owned the property. Although I have seen people not disclose It many times, it is the law and the ethical thing to do. The neighbors Know the house has mold, lets Say you do not disclose it and mr and mrs neighbor are talking to your buyer one day and asks about "all that mold" then your placed in a difficult situation. Get it taken care of correctly, get a passing post remediation or clearance test and save all that paperwork and move on.   I am a General manager for a Mold removal and remediation company in St Louis so if you have any specific questions please let me know.   Travis

@travisboyer thank you for your response.  We never had the intention to not disclose and we will have it taken care of by professionals.  We were hearing contradicting advice and wanted to make sure we do things legal and ethically.  

If indeed, the mold is throughout the house we re being quoted about 30K to remove it from a 1500 sqft home. 

I appreciate your input. 

Thanks, again! 

@Patrice B. 30k Seems extremely high to me. My crew is currently working on a 2500sq ft house, full gut to studs of the basement, gutting half the main level to studs and gutting 2 rooms upstairs removing All carpet in the house and im  doing that for $7,900   What area of Illinois are you in? 

@Patrice Boenzi , once you remediate it, it becomes a non-issue, meaning it is no longer an actual problem. However, it is in your best interest to disclose all past issues.

BrIran Burke posted an epic recap of a hoarder house flip. In the thread, he says that he wasn't required by law to disclose the past issue that were now remediated (horrible smell, dead cats, hoarders for 20+ years living in the property - it's a great read but not if you are squeamish) but did so anyway to preserve his reputation. He didn't want anyone to find out after the fact, and be upset that he didn't disclose.

He lost the first offer after he disclosed the past condition of the house. But it went on to sell for a great profit, even after disclosure to another buyer. 

If you can see the mold from the outside, you can bet the neighbors know it is there, too. And neighbors talk. 

@Michelle Puklin what company did you use?

@Patrice Boenzi what company quoted you 30k?  I would ask your RE atty about what he/she recommends, I have been told by a RE atty that the only stuff I need to disclose is stuff that latent that hasn't been fixed yet. This is not legal advise I am not a lawyer.

Check out Mold Solutions. I think they are out of Frankfort, but they service they entire Chicago area. The house we re-mediated was in Batavia. Ask for Adam.  We did our own demo/prep work prior to the remediation and that kept our costs down. Mold Solutions did the rest. They were thorough and easy to work with.

Hi @Patrice Boenzi . There is a specific Mold Disclosure form used by the Illinois Association of Realtors. There's not much guesswork on the form. 

As an agent most clients want to know 3 things

1. Was there a problem?
  2. If yes, what did you do to correct it?
  3. Was the problem fixed the right way, so I don't have to worry?

I suggest if you get the house that you detail the problem and the remediation. Also the rest of the job will give an overall impression of the type of work you do and how serious you took the problem and the solution.

Good luck!

We had no issues. Buyer asked about the mold disclosure and we provided him with the warranty and post remediation air test results. Both are included as part of the remediation work. We were under contract 2 weeks after hitting the market. Good luck!

You Have been duped like most americans.  Mold is not a real health issue. About 20 years ago in Indiana the cdc reported a case of mold killing two babies. This was later retracted.  Since then the stupidity has become an industry. There is a mold disclosure that realtors have in Illinois, but the state of Illinois has never said mold is a health issue or needs to be disclosed. I am a licensed real estate broker inillinois and California.  Neither state says mold harms anyone.  In fact California specifically states it is not harmful.  Mold is no more harmful than any other allergen.  You are exposed to more black mold going outside than any black mold in your home. 

Frankly, anyone who is stupid enough not to research the mold hoax and what the cdc says about it before shelling out thousand of dollars deserves to be separated from their money.  If you have no problem doing lawn where there is far more black mold you should have no problem ripping out moldy dry wall.  If you are afraid off mold you should seal yourself in a plastic bubble like the bubble boy from the movie.  You are a sheople if you ever fell for the mold nonsense.  

What you really need is latex paint remediation! 

Originally posted by @Patrice Boenzi :

We are pursuing a property that is very distressed, but in a great neighborhood.  I have not been inside yet, but know that the roof is bad/leaks, and we can see black mold on the windows from the sidewalk. 

If we use a profession mold removal company (and have air quality test done) do we still need disclose the mold issue on the disclosure statement?

Here is the CDC web site on black mold.  IL state law does not say you have to disclose anything that has been corrected.  And you certainly don't have to disclose something that is not a health issue.  If your realtor tells you that you have to fire him or her, they are an idiot.  You will see from the web site I provided that it is safe for you to tear out the black mold yourself.

www.cdc.gov/mold/stachy.htm

Don't disclose!!!  Horrible advise!!! You would not disclose a leaking roof after it was repaired would you???

I practiced real estate for 18 years in Illinois and was one of the top ten agents selling 130 properties a year and I am the first person to give you good advise.  I hope I got to you soon enough and you didn't listen to people who have no experience but like to give out advise on forums.  I wish you luck.  Feel free to private message me and I would be happy to talk to you on the phone and help you.  Too much horrible advise out there from wanna bees.