Question about kitchen cabinet remodel

10 Replies

Hey guys! So I'm doing my first fix and flip and have a question. We're remodeling the kitchen with new white cabinets, granite, tile back splash, and stainless appliances. I'm wondering if soft close cabinet/drawers vs normal make a big difference in the resale value. What do you guys think? 

Most cabinets come standard with soft closing and full extension drawers and soft closing doors. So, you can choose the cheaper route but like anything else, that will have an impact on your asset value. The investment you make into a kitchen should more than pay for itself on resale of the home (in standard situations). 

It is just a small change in gadget and doesn't impact much. Some buyers notice is but some don't. It is like a choice between a moen or delta faucet with chrome finish, it is a simple functionality.

I have done homes with and without soft close hinges and a deal has not fallen through because the house didn't have them.

My free advice is to save your money until the flip is done and then see if you want to spend it :)

@Travis Osborn Just do the soft-close. Is it really such an extra expense?  Make the house as nice as you possibly can. I'm not talking about 'over-building' for the comps in the area; I'm talking about having a generous attitude towards your buyers, as opposed to having a penny-pinching attitude.  That attitude  will color the look and feel of your finished product.  It will also allow you to command top dollar when you sell and will set your reputation as a producer of quality homes. Good luck with your project!

I doubt it's a deal breaker but they're very nice to have. Having said that we decided to take them out in our flip. Wanted them but in the end we took it out since we were nearing our budget. 

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. I think we'll go with the soft close. It's tempting to try to maximize our profit through cutting costs, being our first deal and all, but I think your exactly right Art Allen. 

Think about the buyers emotions as they walk into the kitchen.  If you have them ohhhing and awwwing before they can test the cabinets I doubt not having soft close doors will kill the deal.  This isn't true for all buyers but its especially true for first timers.  Those who have bought many homes in their lifetime tend to buy less emotionally.  I don't buy them, but if your home is in the upper tax bracket you might consider it.

Go for it :). The way I look at small things like that is either the competition has it, so you should, or they don't and it will put you a few steps ahead of them when a buyer is visiting multiple houses. Find a way to market it though, such as little signs in various areas of the house that highlight the neat features you've added. No-touch faucets, soft close doors, hidden central vac systems, etc, are all things that might add value (either financial or emotional), but people touring a house might miss it unless it's pointed out. A good realtor would likely point those things out, but sometimes it gets missed.

Draw attention to it.

When doing a rehab/flip, make sure you don't overspend.  You should have made a budget before buying, which would've given you an estimated profit.  Try to stick as close as you can to the budget, because unknowns are bound to happen and if you do come in below budget, it just increases your profit.

Remember that your goal is to make a nice profit.  If the cost of the soft close drawers isn't much (it shouldn't be) and it fits in your budget, then go for it - but only if you believe it will help sell the house.  If not, then pass on it - I doubt you'll lose the sale if your house doesn't have it.

One more thing.  If the other houses for sale have soft close drawers, then yours should too.  Again, I don't think they do, but take a peek at houses for sale in the area.