Hardwood Flooring question

9 Replies

We are about to close on our first property. :D The home has ceramic tile (good condition) in almost all of the house. We would like to lay hardwood down in the Great Room and Dining area.

Has anyone ever installed hardwood over the ceramic tile? Do you think it would work, or do we have to rip it all up? :roll:

Thanks!

You should be able to install right over the ceramic tile as long as you have a flat surface and it is not all cracked up. It sounds like it is in pretty good shape. I have put in two hardwood floors recently and both of them were installed over the top of the old hardwood floors. The floor height will be raised just a bit, but with threshold transition pieces, it looks great.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response. Yes, the tile is in great condition. The only tile that is cracked is the tile in the bathrooms (not horrible). Have you ever painted over tile before? What type of paint did you use for it (as in the bathroom area - floor and tiles around tub)?

I have never painted over tile and my guess would be that you could not paint on such a slick surface. The tiles on the floor may be rough enough to paint, but you would really want a professional opinion on that.

The tiles around the tub need to be glazed. If you call a tub glazer, they can also glaze the surround tiles. What they do is actually coat the tile (and the grout) with porcelin (sp?). It can get pricey though. If you have ever seen a before and after on a tub that has been glazed, that would give you an idea, it looks brand new.

If the tile is nice why spend the money to lay hard wood flooring. It seems that this would burn money that could be put elsewhere. If it is broken try and fix it before spending time and money to replacing it..

I have tried tile paint in a shower that is sold at Home Depot. It works great for the sides and ceiling, but any place that gets foot traffic wore off.. I would not use it for a floor. You will be just wasting your money.

I'd leave the tile and put the money into some really great crown molding, instead. Then you buy a large and very pretty area rug for the center of the great room when the place is ready to show.

Tile in the dining room is just fine.

I'd take the tile up if I wanted to change it. You can rent a machine that will make very short work of removing that tile, and with very little effort on your part.

I won't remove good tile unless it is the most butt ugly thing I've ever seen.

Make lemonaid: emphasis that the house with it's tile floors is good for persons with allergies or that have pets. Kid friendly, pet friendly are very good sales phrases.

TC I have tried tile paint in a shower that is sold at Home Depot. It works great for the sides and ceiling, but any place that gets foot traffic wore off.. I would not use it for a floor. You will be just wasting your money.

TC... what does the finish on the tile look like after painting.. is it a gloss?
any drips?

Anyone think TC looks like Tony Soprano? just kidding...