EXPERIENCED PRO MEMBERS. What has been your experience as a PRO?

EXPERIENCED PRO MEMBERS. What has been your experience as a PRO?

Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes

I'm considering upping my membership to a BP PRO and would like to know first hand from BP PRO members only about whether or not you feel you think it's a benefit. If so why? If not why?

2Reply
72 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 817 votes
10y
Originally posted by @John Arendsen:

@Troy Fisher, Isn't one of the benefits of being a PRO to be able to advertise? Curious about the "SECRET FORUM". Can you elaborate somewhat? Or is it that secret? What do you mean by "market place listings?" Just more Zillow and Trulia type listings or something better?

 The Market Place is available here.  You can browse but not post.  If you are a wholesaler or a lender or some other type of vendor you can post in there and would be worth it.

You get to have a logo in your signature which could help drive awareness, and I think at one time you had to be a member to have a video introduction on your profile?

Other benefits are listed here.

The SECRET FORUM.  Like Fight Club, the first rule of Secret Forum is not to talk about secret forum.  But let's just say there's an initiation, secret handshake, and an annual secret conference.  This picture was smuggled out; "Guard it carefully, many Bothans died trying to obtain it..."

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 817 votes
    10y

    Well there's the Marketplace listings which could help accelerate your investing.

    You have a secret forum to post on.  (They say it's pretty exclusive!)

    And if you want to host events it's required.

    It's a Business related write-off for some of the best networking and learning you can get, if it's still ~$20/mo its worthwhile simply for giving back.  I'd be happy if they moved it up to $25/mo and removed ads for Pro Members.

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Troy Fisher, Isn't one of the benefits of being a PRO to be able to advertise? Curious about the "SECRET FORUM". Can you elaborate somewhat? Or is it that secret? What do you mean by "market place listings?" Just more Zillow and Trulia type listings or something better?

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    @John ArendsenThere is an Exclusive PRO Member forum. You must be a member to post or read any of the posts in it.

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Mindy Jensen, I get the exclusive bit but what's so different about that forum vs some of the ones that are free that I've also received some good benefits and acquaintances from? Not trying to be difficult. Just curious.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    @John Arendsen, I don't think you're being difficult at all. The PRO forum is private, meaning you can ask questions there that you don't want anyone to see. Google isn't a pro member of our site, so they can't read it either. 

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Mindy Jensen, Like what kind of questions? On another note, if I had a property that I wanted to market would I be able to do it as a PRO without any additional cost? Or are there separate fees for that?

  • Specialist · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 817 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @John Arendsen:

    @Troy Fisher, Isn't one of the benefits of being a PRO to be able to advertise? Curious about the "SECRET FORUM". Can you elaborate somewhat? Or is it that secret? What do you mean by "market place listings?" Just more Zillow and Trulia type listings or something better?

     The Market Place is available here.  You can browse but not post.  If you are a wholesaler or a lender or some other type of vendor you can post in there and would be worth it.

    You get to have a logo in your signature which could help drive awareness, and I think at one time you had to be a member to have a video introduction on your profile?

    Other benefits are listed here.

    The SECRET FORUM.  Like Fight Club, the first rule of Secret Forum is not to talk about secret forum.  But let's just say there's an initiation, secret handshake, and an annual secret conference.  This picture was smuggled out; "Guard it carefully, many Bothans died trying to obtain it..."

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    i still dont understand what's the benefit of having a pro membership. 

    "ask questions".... as if everyone else is not allowed to ask questions in the open forums?

  • Lafayette, CA · Member since 2013 · 91 posts · 45 votes
    10y

    In addition to the benefits listed above, I like the unlimited use of the tools, like the calculators for analyzing rentals and flips.

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Troy Fisher, Not sure I'm getting the "FIGHT CLUB" crossover. Not really a fan myself. However, I do appreciate the links. I F/U'd them and found them interesting. Still not sure how BP differs from FB or LI or even Active Rain which I've been a paying and participating member of since '08 and have yet to benefit or see any real business from it albeit Active Rain like BP has offered bountiful information and knowledge about residential RE over the years.. 

    I welcome any enlightenment.

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Mary Ann Casey, personally I'm calculator poor right now. What makes the BP calc so much different. Again, not trying to be difficult just trying to understand what might motivate me to join PRO which I'm on the fence about right now

  • Specialist · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 817 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @John Arendsen:

    @Troy Fisher, Not sure I'm getting the "FIGHT CLUB" crossover. Not really a fan myself. However, I do appreciate the links. I F/U'd them and found them interesting. Still not sure how BP differs from FB or LI or even Active Rain which I've been a paying and participating member of since '08 and have yet to benefit or see any real business from it albeit Active Rain like BP has offered bountiful information and knowledge about residential RE over the years.. 

    I welcome any enlightenment.

    Never heard of Active Rain, but being a Pro Here provides you with additional credibility. While I realize there is a huge why pay for something mentality here and in the REI world the fact that you've dished out to be a pro says something more, a different mindset, or a different attitude, and like most of the other benefits of being pro have little to no tangible value.

    We have seen instances of tenants/contractors doing a google search for an investor active on BP who came here to ask questions in regards to the relationship to the tenant/contractor that has mucked things up, they have since introduced the ability to have just last initials, and rolled out the Pro Forum that is not searchable by google and gives you an extra level of protection against being googled.  Privacy!

    Personally being a pro provides few benefits for me, but as a member who is driving off-line meetings and attracting the brilliant minds on BP to those meetings I have to carry my pro membership.  In fact my group boast 300 members, and 100 active monthly members to my meetups!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Hey @John Arendsen - Another quick benefit - Webinar Replays. Check out www.biggerpockets.com/proreplay - and you'll see over 30 hours of webinar replays free to watch any time, on any device. Free members have to watch them live or watch the replay within 48 hours. 

    The calculators, I believe, are one of the strongest reasons as well. I tell people all the time: Analyze 3 deals a day, make offers on 10%. You could do this by hand or a spreadsheet, but I love using the calcs for this. It's fast, easy to save and track over time, and I use the ability to print out the PDF report all the time. 

    Finally - this might sound superficial, but it's not -  having that little "Pro Badge" next to your name tells the community you are more serious than others who might come and go quickly. For example, if a deal came across my desk in an area I don't buy in - like Vista, California, I'm going to go to www.BiggerPockets.com/meet and find someone (also a Pro- only benefit) in that area to maybe JV with. Who am I going to talk with first- a Pro member or free member? I'll pick a Pro 100% of the time, because I know they are more likely to be serious. I'm not saying I'll only work with Pros, or that only Pro members are serious, i'm just saying - I'm going to use that as a rule of thumb, as I know many others do too.

    Ok... I'm done :) 

    (p.s. I sometimes offer discount codes to Pro on the live webinars - www.biggerpockets.com/pro - if you wanna come sometime!) 

    And @Troy Fisher- I'm speachless. The best photo I've ever seen. 

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed, Thanks much my friend. Great info. Getting close to pulley the proverbial trigger. LOL!

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Brandon Turner Ha! Personally I prefer the roving eyes of Marky Mark myself. Not casting aspersion on @Troy Fisher, however, I prefer a little more beef and hair. LOL!

    Very comprehensive and informative answer. I'm beginning to see the light. Big Thanks. Hope to see you in the "SECRET FORUM" soon. 

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Brandon Turner, I'd be tempted to pull the trigger now if you offered me a discount. Just a cheapskate.

  • Specialist · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 817 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Turner:

    (p.s. I sometimes offer discount codes to Pro on the live webinars - www.biggerpockets.com/pro - if you wanna come sometime!) 

    And @Troy Fisher- I'm speachless. The best photo I've ever seen. 

     Not to Shanghai the thread or anything but this is the best photo I've ever Seen:

    If only you could have smiled for Santa!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @John Arendsen  I sold ONe OREO on marketplace but probably could have sold it just as easy with craigslist add.

    I think the benefit of pro is to basically donate to the site.. this is a great networking site and if they don't make any money its not going to be here.. they deserve to make money.

    I think those that deal in lower end mid west and rust belt homes get some good sales from market place.. don't think selling higher end props this is really the place to be.

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs, Thanks for your candor.  I've noticed that the majority of activity comes from the Midwest East. Haven't noticed nearly as much activity from Cali and some from the PNW. 

    I'm also in agreement regarding low to mid ranged residential, MF and apartment activity, however, once again mostly from the Midwest to the East Coast. I'm primarily interested in commercial and hight end properties from Orange County South to the North San Diego Coastal area.

    If I thought that being a BP PRO would help me grow my portfolio or contact base I'd sign up today for a year in advance. But I'm not getting as many signals from that area thus far. It doesn't mean that I'm not benefitting somewhat from BP but I have to wonder if it's any better than the Active Rain blog that I've been a member of since '08 and/or FB and LI. 

    Thanks again for your comment.

  • Jimmy MoncriefPro Member
    Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2010 · 319 posts · 100 votes
    10y

    Trying to be nice here - but it's really not that much money :-)

    Invest in yourself - it's the best return - Ben Franlin

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Jimmy Moncrief LOL! That's nice? Don't really need a lecture about investing in myself. At 70 and very comfortably semi retired and doing as I damn well please I'm fully vested in myself. 

    FYI, I belong and subscribe to a host of biz blogs, organizations, stock & RE advisoral groups, clubs, meet ups, etc. I asked this question for good reason and I'm actually getting some very good and informed answers. Why don't you invest a little of your time reading some of the comments?

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @John Arendsen:

    @Jay Hinrichs, Thanks for your candor.  I've noticed that the majority of activity comes from the Midwest East. Haven't noticed nearly as much activity from Cali and some from the PNW. 

    I'm also in agreement regarding low to mid ranged residential, MF and apartment activity, however, once again mostly from the Midwest to the East Coast. I'm primarily interested in commercial and hight end properties from Orange County South to the North San Diego Coastal area.

    If I thought that being a BP PRO would help me grow my portfolio or contact base I'd sign up today for a year in advance. But I'm not getting as many signals from that area thus far. It doesn't mean that I'm not benefitting somewhat from BP but I have to wonder if it's any better than the Active Rain blog that I've been a member of since '08 and/or FB and LI. 

    Thanks again for your comment.

     The fact is that this is a public forum and you have to be very careful and vett each deal and the people who are offering them. The most valuable and safest way is to find your deals is to build relations with the people we know who are real  . ,such as Joel Owens,Jay of course Karen Mangrove , Brie, James Wise and really are lot of people that we would never be exposed to . The only problem it takes work,patience and for us gray hairs it is harder then face to face with local brokers,investors etc 

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed, I hear ya there my friend. However, I'm not in any hurry to hook up with anyone on any RE deals unless its on a matched funds basis. I've never been one to just loan money to folks. I've worked too hard for it. But equal or close to equal partnerships are where its at for me unless its stock. I'm still long on APPL and DISNEY. LOL! Thanks again for stopping by.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @John Arendsen  this is a have or have not forum in my mind... you may find those who want to be equal partners .. but probably not the best venue.. really.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 730 posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @John Arendsen:

    @Jimmy Moncrief LOL! That's nice? Don't really need a lecture about investing in myself. At 70 and very comfortably semi retired and doing as I damn well please I'm fully vested in myself. 

    FYI, I belong and subscribe to a host of biz blogs, organizations, stock & RE advisoral groups, clubs, meet ups, etc. I asked this question for good reason and I'm actually getting some very good and informed answers. Why don't you invest a little of your time reading some of the comments?

     jeez...people, why even bother with this douchebag? move along...help those that are grateful for the advice. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.