Anybody have an Idea of how to fix this shower door problem?

Anybody have an Idea of how to fix this shower door problem?

Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 117 posts · 59 votes

This is a ridiculous set up for a bathroom, but I don't have a huge budget to improve this but I know its not something the tenant is going to want to deal with. Any ideas on a good way to make this function properly? 

My contractor had the idea of taking out the door and just adding a shower rod and curtain but I felt that was even worse for a stand up shower.

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Covington, GA · Member since 2014 · 295 posts · 93 votes
10y

Collapsible doors is the first thing to come to mind. It's all about the Butterfly doors fella...lol. Hope this helps:

There are other similar options as well.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    I have a shower stall in my bathroom with curtain rod and liner. It is what it is.
  • Covington, GA · Member since 2014 · 295 posts · 93 votes
    10y

    Collapsible doors is the first thing to come to mind. It's all about the Butterfly doors fella...lol. Hope this helps:

    There are other similar options as well.

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 117 posts · 59 votes
    10y

    @Jay DewberryHow much do those kind of doors cost? I saw a few things like that but they were like $450 before installation and tax. I could probably still make that work but I feel its more than I want to put into this issue.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Phillip Syrios:

    @Jay DewberryHow much do those kind of doors cost? I saw a few things like that but they were like $450 before installation and tax. I could probably still make that work but I feel its more than I want to put into this issue.

    If it supports your rental income, how long would it take to offset the cost from your rental income? Think of in terms of ROI, if that helps.

    David J Dachtera

    "Success is not a destination. Failure is not an event. Success is a process, failure is a choice."
    - DJ Benedict

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 117 posts · 59 votes
    10y

    @David Dachtera

    The property rents for about $950, but Im already putting  about $3,000 into the house on this turnover without this door.

    This is a smart idea but Im not sure how to make it work with this example. Its hard to know the ROI because its unlikely if a tenant likes the rest of the house they will not rent it because of this, but also I want this to be a house they enjoy and not have a frustration like this everyday causing them to want to move out sooner. But I have no idea if making this change will actually effect anything or not.

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 117 posts · 59 votes
    10y

    @Max T.Nice to know some people do that and its not unheard of... Not sure if its better than what I have currently or not but its nice to have it as an option.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2014 · 414 posts · 272 votes
    10y

    @Jay Dewberry's suggestion looks great, but I can think of a less attractive and no doubt less expensive approach. My in-laws used to have a tub and shower combination with a sliding accordion-like shower enclosure. It was light blue fiberglass -- not a great look -- but maybe you could find something similar in white for a standalone shower. Think of vertical blinds, but with the edges of the blinds connected with hinges.

    Both of the in-laws died after using this shower for years, but I can't pin that on the shower. :)

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Phillip Syriosis this the only bathroom? If not I wouldn't worry about it.

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 117 posts · 59 votes
    10y

    @Max T.Its not, but its the one connected to the master bedroom which I would assume the decision maker of renting the house are going to want to be using.

  • Covington, GA · Member since 2014 · 295 posts · 93 votes
    10y

    @Phillip SyriosI have seen these anywhere from $$189 to $1400. Unfortunately, my only experience with them has been a few walk through units and asking about them as they were rather unique. Hopefully you can get an alternative design with a similar concept to fit your needs. But if worst gets to worst...let the current door stand. It may be a slight inconvenience, but the benefits may outweigh it for the tenant. Just thoughts.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Rafael, CA · Member since 2015 · 190 posts · 90 votes
    10y

    If you get the same type of door but have it open from the right instead of the left is there more clearance? Tough to tell from the pic but it seems possible. I wouldn't recommend a rod and curtain since there isn't much of a lip to keep the water in. You will be dealing with rot issues in a few years, I think.

    - will

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    10y
    Nothing to fix. Shower curtain will leak. Replacing the door costs too much. Tenants will accept that in my opinion. Only replace if it breaks or becomes a major concern for a tenant.
  • Rental Property Investor · Lincoln City, OR · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 21 votes
    10y
    Phillip Syrios you could explore RV shower door options. I googled Folding Shower Door And had some hits. My concern with having the door touch the toilet is broken glass.
  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 345 posts · 138 votes
    10y

    Clever suggestion by @Aaron L.!  I like it.  Otherwise I don't think the door will be a deal breaker for it being a rental.  If the bathroom was renovated and looks great then maybe something like that would really take away from the rest of the upgrades.  But if its a basic bathroom then I think a little inconvenience isn't a major issue that will hinder you renting it or getting a decent rent rate.  

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2016 · 110 posts · 59 votes
    10y

    if its been rented like this in the past , i would keep as is till the next turnover or two .

  • Real Estate Agent · Tucker, GA · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 144 votes
    10y
    Nice long shower curtain
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Maricela Chavez:

    Nice long shower curtain

    The only problem with this can be on a stand up shower the lip is only around 6 inches so the shower curtain has very little overlap. It is easy for water to get out and do damage. I may be ok with this at my home because I would be careful, but I wouldn't trust a tenant. By comparison a shower tub has well over a foot of overlap so you get much less leaking. I have replaced several showers and it is always the rot from water damage that creates the biggest problem. It will rot your sub floor not to mention cause damage on the ceiling below if there is one. Just my experience. No argument from me that a shower curtain is the least expensive solution in the short term.

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    10y

    Switching the door swing will hit the toilet I believe.  This problem starts with a poor residential developer and a non functioning floor plan.  Huge pet peeve of mine when things don't function.  The bi-fold door is a slick idea. The best way to fix this is a major redesign which is not in the picture and totally understand.

  • Far rockway , NY · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    other thanight the folding door the next best I would say is to put the door on a track so when you open it it'll slide to the side of the shower.

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 561 votes
    10y

    I would leave it as-is. They will probably like it better than a curtain and will be used to it in no time.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.