To share master bathroom or not

5 Replies

I have a 3 bed 2 bath that I can potentially make into a 3/3. If it won't make much difference in desirability or monthly rent I would rather save on the extra bath. The dilemma is that the place is old and awkward, I have to work around 2 foot thick stone walls and as it stands my master will have a full bath directly across from it in a hallway that attaches to the living room. It would be shared with anyone that visits due to the second bath being a jack and Jill on the third floor. My main question is if that third full or partial bath worth the money I would invest in it in order to close off that hallway making a larger master bedroom and on suite out of it? Do renters/buyers care enough to make it worth my while in the end?

@Brendan Reilly

Run your comps in your area for 3/2 and 3/3. Check for any price differences. 

In my area, I don't see a lot of 3/3. So it probably wouldn't add much resale value. 

If you're looking to rent, a 3rd bathroom means more potential work and issues compared to a two bathroom. 

But if your comps show other 3/2 has on suite bathrooms, and it sounds like your don't, then it should add value.

@Chris T. That was almost EXACLTYwhat I was going to say. LOL

Lol, it really is amazing how many Qs in this forum can be answered with "Run the comps"

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.