What is the best way to do security system for rehabs?

13 Replies

I am just getting in to rehabs. I want all of my rehab properties to be under security camera surveillance, both inside and out, during the rehab and while it's vacant.

I know where to buy cameras, but I need some specifications to work out for me. I need them to record to "the cloud" both whenever I want them to, and on a motion sensor. I can't have them recording to a DVR because then the thief could just steal that.

And if I have 4 rehab projects going on at once, that means probably 20-24 cameras all capable of recording at the same time. I don't want it to record to my home computer because that's too much storage space to require.

Any thoughts?

I already have SimpliSafe sensors on all the doors and windows, but they only make interior cameras.

Do you plan on having internet in your vacant properties? I have DVR cameras with the box hidden in the attic because I couldn't see paying for internet in a vacant house.

You could easily buy hard drives to store it on.  There are terabytes selling for cheap now. I might just be starting in real estate but I know tech. [Solicitation Removed]

Originally posted by @Jason DiClemente :
Do you plan on having internet in your vacant properties? I have DVR cameras with the box hidden in the attic because I couldn't see paying for internet in a vacant house.

I could go that route, but I would rather have it send to a central location. In case I'm doing a flip 100 miles away. I want my tech stuff to be top notch.

Plus, there is no attic in the particular house that I'm flipping right now.

Updated 10 months ago

Would paying for Internet service be necessary? Don't they have wireless everything these days? I don't have to pay for Internet to use the Internet on my phone, for example.

Recording means terabytes, meaning you need amazing internet connection and terabytes of cloud storage also. For your 24 cameras. Are you sure you want to do that? For what it is worth, a cam is simply a recording of what has happened, not really prevent it. If you’re not investing into really high end cams, you will only see pixels. I’d rather invest in an alarm that will alert neighbors with remote arm/disarm vs than that of cams.

Originally posted by @Manolo D. :

Recording means terabytes, meaning you need amazing internet connection and terabytes of cloud storage also. For your 24 cameras. Are you sure you want to do that? For what it is worth, a cam is simply a recording of what has happened, not really prevent it. If you’re not investing into really high end cams, you will only see pixels. I’d rather invest in an alarm that will alert neighbors with remote arm/disarm vs than that of cams.

Yea I noticed my SimpliSafe alarm was kind of quiet. I still want to invest in cameras. Anything that will make the thief want to rob someone else's house instead. I think being recorded is a great way to do that. Is anyone going to risk 10-20 years over some appliances? I would hope not. Unfortunately, what they would steal is probably less than my insurance deductible anyway so insurance is no help.

This is also assuming that the neighbors give a sh!t.

I also used Simplisafe alarm and i using their monitoring service.You to get an alarm permit when installing a monitored alarm system.This permit can take several weeks to get and it is not transferable to different properties.You will have to reapply for each property in which you set up the alarm.This is a low cost solution to protect your valuable rehab project.

Originally posted by @Qurrat Khan :

I also used Simplisafe alarm and i using their monitoring service.You to get an alarm permit when installing a monitored alarm system.This permit can take several weeks to get and it is not transferable to different properties.You will have to reapply for each property in which you set up the alarm.This is a low cost solution to protect your valuable rehab project.

The only thing I don't like is they don't have exterior cameras. Plus, I would need to get Internet service at the house in order to get recording sent to the cloud.

Originally posted by @Manolo D. :

Yea and just found out I would need to get Internet service activated to get cloud storage. Not worth it. I suppose that DVR is my only option, but the thief can just steal the DVR by following the wires. No guarantee the neighbors will care about an alarm.

@Patrick Philip They would care if the alarm is going to sound up to 3 blocks, lol. Appliance stealing is not really going to set you 10-20 years, maybe 50 hours community service.

I use SimpliSafe and cameras at my rehabs.  Either of this requires that you have electricity turned on at your property, which might not be feasible depending on where you are in the rehab process (and how much rehab you're planning on doing).

Cameras do require internet service, and that's the tricky part.  I went to a Comcast and CenturyLink store and became friends with the reps.  I told them, "I'm a rehabber who needs internet at multiple properties.  I can provide activate a new service every month or two."  Their eyes light up and they want to be your best friend after this because they get commission on activations.  They'll give you their personal phone number and promise they can activate internet service at your properties with really short notice.  And you'll never have to call the regular customer service hotlines if you ever have any problems; just call them directly.  Make sure to get the internet service that comes without a contract.  They'll be a little more expensive, but honestly, in the grand scheme of things, it's just a small utility cost.

I've also used mobile hotspots before.  These can get really expensive.  One camera of mine burns through 6GB in 10 days.

Buy the YI Home cameras from Amazon.  $30 each on sale, $40 regular price.  I don't see why you'd need 24; probably should rethink that.  They come with a Cloud Monitoring service for $10/monthly for 5 cameras.

Hey, So I just saw this post. But I recently was trying to figure out a solution that appears to be a pretty common problem. I came up with two options that I liked. I started thinking about all of this towards the end of a flip that I was doing and I didn't actually buy the camera that I am about to mention, but I do plan to. 

So for outside cameras I like the concept of the Arlo camera from Netgear. If you are a Verizon customer you can add it to a line for like $10 bucks a month, and disconnect the service when not using it. It works like any other wifi camera that normally needs wifi, except its a 4g LTE camera, so it just uses cell signal. Netgear offers a plan for users not with Verizon also. They also make wifi cameras and a DVR system if you want that also. They also make a solar panel charger and camo for these cameras so you could mount them in a tree and view them anytime.  Here is the link: 

https://www.verizonwireless.com/connected-devices/...

As for Wifi cameras I like the YI home cameras that you can get on Amazon. They start around $40 bucks and work great. I would say that they are just as good as the nest cams for a fraction of the price (but I never owned a nest came). They use micro sd cards for recording, but you can purchase cloud storage. The problem with these is the internet and the fact that someone could just steal them. However, to solve the internet problem I did think about just getting a hotspot device through my wireless company.

All in all, I like the concept of the Arlo Cam. But depending on how many you need. They are pricey. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.