Property built before 1978!

7 Replies

Hi. 

I'm in the process of closing on a Property built in 1940 in Sacramento. Rehab should start in about 2-3 weeks.

So far, haven't had to deal with one built before 1978. Can someone enlighten me as to what needs to be done about lead and asbestos? According to seller's disclosure statement no awareness of any of the two. Do I need testing done for both before starting rehab? 

I would appreciate any input.

Did you have an inspection done? Did it reveal anything? Lead and asbestos could add additional cost to your renovation so it would help you to know when estimating rehab costs.

Have a licensed company test for abestos and lead prior to buying. If it turns up hot, get an estimate for abatement. Pretty straightforward.

Originally posted by @Attila Bertalan :

Hi. 

I'm in the process of closing on a Property built in 1940 in Sacramento. Rehab should start in about 2-3 weeks.

So far, haven't had to deal with one built before 1978. Can someone enlighten me as to what needs to be done about lead and asbestos? According to seller's disclosure statement no awareness of any of the two. Do I need testing done for both before starting rehab? 

I would appreciate any input.

It really depends on the scope of your rehab. I own two properties built before 1920. Lead and asbestos abatement can be very expensive. I personally choose not to remove unless absolutely necessary and required by law. 

@Anthony Gayden

Thank you for your input. Greatly appreciate it.

Not planning on any wall tear downs. Basic inside outside paint and remodel bathroom and kitchen, some minor electrical and refinish hardwood flooring (hidden under carpet :) ). 

What steps do you take if you do not remove and how can I find out if it is "absolutely necessary and required by law" ?

Contact lead and asbestos professionals in your area. While I believe the laws are federal, and therefore the same everywhere, a local professional with extensive experience in the area will be able to tell you based on the type, age and location of the property what your potential risk would be and the minimums required by law to have it taken care of, if necessary. I’d contact more than one if this is your first to be sure they aren’t trying to take advantage of your ignorance of the issue and scare you into dumping more money than necessary into the issue.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here