Neighbor's Tree's Roots Growing On Property

4 Replies

Walked through a property today. 

One point of concern is a tree that is in the neighbor's yard. The tree is very old and healthy, but its roots are MASSIVE and are growing near / under the foundation of the house (monolithic slab). The original fear was that the foundation of the house was a mess, but an inspector looked and felt pretty certain that the settlement is due to these tree roots.

The obvious option is to open a dialogue with the neighbor and to see if we can have this tree removed (50/50 split on cost, whatever), but in the event that this neighbor has no interest in helping, what are my options?

Your best option is to walk away.

Removing the tree will not improve the situation. If it is removed the roots will die and rot. When they rot they will create voids that will cause the foundation to collapse.

Root pruning .  In my area , if its on your property you can dig it up .  So basically you get a backhoe and rip the roots up 

Originally posted by @Matthew Paul :

Root pruning .  In my area , if its on your property you can dig it up .  So basically you get a backhoe and rip the roots up 

Thanks. Can you opine on what the other user said with regards to its potential impact on the foundation resettling, etc once the roots are removed?

It all depends on the tree , maples have shallow roots , oaks go deeper .  Its something you need to see in person .

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.