Black Mold or Mildew???

8 Replies

I was going to finish caulking a bathroom that wasn’t caulked correctly, and so I was cleaning along the edges of the plastic insert of the shower, and noticed chunks of black stuff kept falling. So I started pulling the old caulk away and noticed it had all this stuff behind the caulk. I was worried it may have spread up behind the back of the plastic insert, along the wall?? 

Any close up pictures of it? Hard to tell
Hopefully it's not moldy behind the shower

Originally posted by @Brett White :

Any close up pictures of it? Hard to tell
Hopefully it's not moldy behind the shower

I’ll upload one. 

And yeah, that’s what I’m worried about. Didn’t really wanna pull the entire shower apart yet, lol. I planned on doing tile in the bathtub/shower anyways, but wasn’t planning on it now. And not to mention, I’d probably have to pay a professional to come remove it all. 

For some reason I can't zoom in to look closer at the picture, but eaither way, I would spray bleach on it and walk away for 10 mins, then rinse it all off it should dissapear,
Best of luck to you

Originally posted by @Brett White :

For some reason I can't zoom in to look closer at the picture, but eaither way, I would spray bleach on it and walk away for 10 mins, then rinse it all off it should dissapear,
Best of luck to you

 So you wouldn’t worry about behind the insert along the wall? I was just worried about it spreading up and down the wall behind the insert. 

@Joey Hampton Black mold is a term that is over used in my opinion. 

I am not an expert, and of course consult someone that specializes in this. ( my don't sue me disclosure, LOL)

I see the word "Black Mold" overused so often in this business. There are several types of mold and not all of them are black mold.  Mold needs to feed on cellulose which is paper or wood. so it would not feed on caulk or a fiberglass tub insert. 

My belief is that is mildue and can be cleaned up pretty easily. 

When doing a rehab, I live by the motto. "When in doubt, rip it out". 

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck!

i cant say for sure but it looks like they caulked over old dirty caulk. clean it all out and recaulk. The only way to know if it in the wall is to remove the wall or you could by have it tested. I wouldn"t do either.
Originally posted by @Rob Gillespie :

@Joey Hampton Black mold is a term that is over used in my opinion. 

I am not an expert, and of course consult someone that specializes in this. ( my don't sue me disclosure, LOL)

I see the word "Black Mold" overused so often in this business. There are several types of mold and not all of them are black mold.  Mold needs to feed on cellulose which is paper or wood. so it would not feed on caulk or a fiberglass tub insert. 

My belief is that is mildue and can be cleaned up pretty easily. 

When doing a rehab, I live by the motto. "When in doubt, rip it out". 

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck!

 Rob,

I totally agree with what you said, lol. I have been searching and searching looking for an answer before ripping it out, and ton of people go back and forth on it. 

I ended up asking my father in law and he believe it’s mildew as well. Definitely needed your feedback, lol. 

Thanks for all the information. Going to clean it up for now and re-caulk and then look at some tile options. 

Originally posted by @Colleen F. :
i cant say for sure but it looks like they caulked over old dirty caulk. clean it all out and recaulk. The only way to know if it in the wall is to remove the wall or you could by have it tested. I wouldn"t do either.

 Sounds good,

Thanks Colleen. Going to clean up the caulk and remove it all and then redo it. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.