Joshua Tree Contractor Referrals

13 Replies

Hello everyone!

Newbie here -- just signed up for an account last night :)

Anyway, my husband and I recently purchased some raw land out in Joshua Tree. We are looking to build just a simple 725 sqft cabin for now, enough to satisfy the building and safety codes. This is our first time building from scratch so we are looking to work with a savvy general contractor.

Any general contractors that you've personally worked with that you'd recommend?

Your input is much appreciated! Thanks.

-Jenny

I recently talked with http://www.crowncontractingonline.com/ and was impressed with them.  (not the cheapest out there though).

I also have been super impressed with Dave Mcadams with  HomesteadModern.com

he actually built a house specifically designed for folks who wanted 725 square feet house

overall, having been down rocky unpaved road trying to do it myself. I feel like you really need someone who has the entire operation under control and ultimately save money with

Design plans

Perc Test (soil testing) 

Title 24

Structural Engineering

(Just saw this post was from 3 years ago) Hey Jenny! I also own land in Joshua Tree and am planning a similar thing. I've had really good luck speaking with high end prefab manufactures. There are plenty of amazing options for companies focusing on ADUs that come right in at the 600 - 800 sqft size. The great thing about these companies is they handle everything from permits to installation and give you the cost up front. Check out www.prefabreview.com The prefab model isn't for everyone, but it could be a great option! Curious to hear how your project turns out and feel free to reach out to me if you ever want to exchange notes.  

@Ted Chi prefabs do require permits, luckily the process is usually shorter than getting plans drawn up and approved. Wells depend on the property. I’m not planning on digging, and am currently figuring out the feasibility of brining in water from the street. Hope that helps!

@Christina Hall I'm familiar with Blu Homes (recently purchased by Dvele) and Connect. Dvele has each model price listed on their site and I have a spreadsheet of prices for Blu if you're interested. These prefabs are definitely on the high end and are not all inclusive installations-- site work/excavation, foundation, water/electric are additional costs. After all is said and done, you'd probably be spending at or above what it might cost for a stick-built house. There's other prefabs out there that quote much lower prices, but a lot of DD is required since many are just proof of concepts. Hope this helps and good luck with the search! 

Thanks @Andrew Lawlor we are now looking to do something like this https://everywhereco.com/ayfra.... We have an A frame in the mountains and it does very well. We are in contact with the preferred lender for this company for a construction loan. However I still need to do more research on what their Turn Key option includes (if it doesn't include permitting for water and electrical, etc. I agree price is going to get way up there), at that point resale may be a better option. 

Updated 2 months ago

Originally posted by @Jenny Pegeanu :

Hello everyone!

Newbie here -- just signed up for an account last night :)

Anyway, my husband and I recently purchased some raw land out in Joshua Tree. We are looking to build just a simple 725 sqft cabin for now, enough to satisfy the building and safety codes. This is our first time building from scratch so we are looking to work with a savvy general contractor.

Any general contractors that you've personally worked with that you'd recommend?

Your input is much appreciated! Thanks.

-Jenny

Hi Jenny, give Andy Canada a call. He's does amazing work and is taking on new build projects now. Be advised that lead times for plan review and permitting are pretty long right now if the property is in Joshua Tree. You can find shorter lead times in the city of Yucca Valley and Twentynine Palms (as opposed to county).

Andy Canada - Contractor