Replace Gas with Electric?

20 Replies

I am under contract on a property in Jacksonville, Fl (primary exit strategy is flip) which currently has a gas stove, and gas water heater, but electric heating and no gas line at the clothes dryer. Behind the stove, there is the gas line, a 110v, and a 220v outlet. The water heater and stove need to be replaced regardless, but my question is; should I replace these with gas or electric? Does it matter?

Thanks

gas is usually preferred as it is cheaper to run.

@James Bailey If this was your primary residence, I'd say go with gas, but since its a flip, do whatever is most cost effective. Its a hot market and if the beds and space fit what someone wants, they wont question electric vs gas. Good luck! 

Originally posted by @Andrew Boettcher :

Right, but from the prospective of the current market (being flooded with buyers), and (from what I see) gas appliances being more expensive initially, I would think that it would be more cost effective to go with electric. Am I wrong here?

Originally posted by @Jack Bobeck :

@James Bailey If this was your primary residence, I'd say go with gas, but since its a flip, do whatever is most cost effective. Its a hot market and if the beds and space fit what someone wants, they wont question electric vs gas. Good luck! 

That's just what I was thinking. Thanks!

Originally posted by @James Bailey :
Originally posted by @Andrew Boettcher:

Right, but from the prospective of the current market (being flooded with buyers), and (from what I see) gas appliances being more expensive initially, I would think that it would be more cost effective to go with electric. Am I wrong here?

that's going to be market specific. I don't know the FL market. If electric appliances do not effect the ultimate resale price in your market, then you can save some money by putting them in. In general, I think they are less preferred by the buyer. In my area, I think it would effect sales price. Your area may be different.

@James Bailey I don't think it would necessarily be less expensive to go with electric. If  you are converting the water heater to electric, that means running another 240 volt circuit. That assumes the panel board has capacity and will cost you money for an electrician. Replacing gas with gas is usually very easy and would cost you less. 

As far as the stove. Gas is usually considered a higher end option. People who love cooking, love gas stoves. It would be a selling feature to leave it as gas. You can pickup a stainless gas range for around $500 which is about what you would pay for a flat top electric range.

I will echo what @Joe Splitrock said.  Gas stove and water heater.  Electric water heater will need its own 20 amp breaker. 

Stay with gas. Rarely do people prefer an electric stove. Everyone wants gas, it'll make it easier to sell.
I agree with keeping the gas range especially. I have lost buyers because I didn't have it.

@James Bailey I agree with multiple others, stay with the gas stove. I've never heard anyone say they prefer an electric range over gas. I have heard the opposite a lot.

For the water heater, my buddy who is a plumber was telling me they got rid of gas water heaters with pilot lights. Now gas water heaters have an electric spark kinda thing and when they replace them, they have to run electric to it for the igniter (or whatever it's called, I'm not a plumber). Just FYI

Originally posted by @Grant Rothenburger :

@James Bailey I agree with multiple others, stay with the gas stove. I've never heard anyone say they prefer an electric range over gas. I have heard the opposite a lot.

For the water heater, my buddy who is a plumber was telling me they got rid of gas water heaters with pilot lights. Now gas water heaters have an electric spark kinda thing and when they replace them, they have to run electric to it for the igniter (or whatever it's called, I'm not a plumber). Just FYI

Maybe that is a regional thing, but in our neck of the woods, the vast majority of gas water heaters sold at Lowe’s, for example, still come with pilot lights.  Now, they generally don’t have to be lit with “the long match while burning your fingers”, like in the old days - you generate the spark with a piezo push button.  But they do not require an electric hookup.

Note: it’s a whole different story for tankless heaters.  Those always (or at least almost always) come with an electric ignition system and don’t have pilots.  So, those DO require electricity to operate.

I agree with others about gas stoves - anyone who actually cooks WILL prefer gas over electric.  That said, for rentals, I have gone the other way because of liability and maintenance concerns ( the 2 AM calls about “smelling gas” when one of the knobs got slightly turned accidentally...).

Originally posted by @Andrew S. :
Originally posted by @Grant Rothenburger:

Maybe that is a regional thing, but in our neck of the woods, the vast majority of gas water heaters sold at Lowe’s, for example, still come with pilot lights.  Now, they generally don’t have to be lit with “the long match while burning your fingers”, like in the old days - you generate the spark with a piezo push button.  But they do not require an electric hookup.

Note: it’s a whole different story for tankless heaters.  Those always (or at least almost always) come with an electric ignition system and don’t have pilots.  So, those DO require electricity to operate.

I agree with others about gas stoves - anyone who actually cooks WILL prefer gas over electric.  That said, for rentals, I have gone the other way because of liability and maintenance concerns ( the 2 AM calls about “smelling gas” when one of the knobs got slightly turned accidentally...).

Good point with the stove for rentals.

I should have said earlier - I believe what he told me (this was maybe a year ago now) was that companies were not making them with pilot lights anymore, once inventory of them are gone, that's it. The new ones being manufactured don't have the pilot lights. This is not based on any of my own research, just word of mouth from someone I trust in the field. But now I'm beginning to wonder if I should trust their advice lol. Gonna do some research on this in the next couple of days.

@James Bailey here in the Jacksonville market I don't think the gas stove will provide additional value until you get into the higher price range homes (~$250K and up). For most of the properties I see being flipped a stainless steel electric stove will be sufficient. If you can get gas for the same price great but otherwise unless your property is in that middle price range I would recommend just going with what is cheapest. Just get a stainless steel option. That is a top seller in Jacksonville. The only time anyone ever asked me for a gas stove was on a $450K home in Saint Johns. 

Originally posted by @Joseph Hamaoui :

@James Bailey here in the Jacksonville market I don't think the gas stove will provide additional value until you get into the higher price range homes (~$250K and up). For most of the properties I see being flipped a stainless steel electric stove will be sufficient. If you can get gas for the same price great but otherwise unless your property is in that middle price range I would recommend just going with what is cheapest. Just get a stainless steel option. That is a top seller in Jacksonville. The only time anyone ever asked me for a gas stove was on a $450K home in Saint Johns. 

Gotcha. Thanks for the input.

Thanks all as this is very helpful information. My situation is similar, SFR, buy and hold in West Florida, already set up for natural gas -water heater and stove. Plumber was suggesting to change to electric. Although it will be an extra bill, it will be cheaper for the tenant. Not a low income rental, so I'm thinking I should leave gas vs. changing to electric.

For rentals in the south, all electric seems to be popular as it's one less utility bill. For natural gas, there's a bill every month whether you use gas or not so unless the entire house is gas, I try to go all electric if it's "mostly" electric. ie, if the house has an electric range and water heater and just the gas furnace needs replacing, I'd put in a heat pump if the load center could handle the additional circuits. If the dryer, water heater and range were all set up with gas, I'd replace a gas furnace with another gas furnace.

@James Bailey - if you decide to convert the stove to electric, I recommend taking a look at induction stove tops. It's ritzier than electric coil ranges(which look so bad they make you wanna barf, not a good thing when you're about to make dinner.)

The induction ranges cook food faster, and I believe they're safer. They're also likely more expensive, and they look better. Here's Consumer Reports weighing in on the pros and cons:

https://www.consumerreports.org/electric-induction...

If you're trying to remove gas altogether(which should save the resident a nice chunk of change each month,) I'd consider a hot water tank that uses an electric heat pump. It'll remove heat from the air in the house to heat the water- so it'll function somewhat like an air-conditioner/dehumidifier, something that will be welcomed in about 9 months out of 12 in Florida, and it uses less electricity than an electric resistance heated water tank.

I'm not sure whether or not you'll be able to recoup the added expense in a flip- the stove is very visible, so likely more important than a heat pump on a hot water heater. 

MG

We were glad we opted to remain with gas at our FL home because the last (2017) electrical outage was 2 weeks. It's rare but when it happens you also usually find your propane BBQ tank on close to empty!!!!

Originally posted by @Pat L. :

We were glad we opted to remain with gas at our FL home because the last (2017) electrical outage was 2 weeks. It's rare but when it happens you also usually find your propane BBQ tank on close to empty!!!!

Moreover, with access to natural gas, you can run a generator for those two weeks without running out of fuel.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.