Should I keep this hardwood floor in this new flip?

12 Replies

Originally posted by @Sean Carroll :

@Patrick Philip those look like they are in pretty good shape. I would just have someone come in to touch them up and really polish them.

Touch them up how? Look at this real bad spot near the fireplace. I was thinking of just putting laminate over them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcgqv7z4cox0i95/0603181352.jpg?dl=0

The door knobs look cool . I would do as suggested , touch up the floors . The house is empty , once someone puts in furniture and some accent rugs here or there you wont see much of the floor any how 

the floors are great, have them professionally done by someone who does floors only and they will look better than anything you could replace them with and cost far less... make sure they are FLOOR guys... not some jack of all trades. The doorknob looks great and if it works well leave it. no point in overspending to have the final product look cheaper than the original.

Not sure how people can give advice what to do on a flip without knowing what comparable houses look like

Personally I would go look at the houses in the area selling for approx the same amount as what you are thinking yours will sell for 

Originally posted by @Alfred Edmonds :
the floors are great, have them professionally done by someone who does floors only and they will look better than anything you could replace them with and cost far less... make sure they are FLOOR guys... not some jack of all trades. The doorknob looks great and if it works well leave it. no point in overspending to have the final product look cheaper than the original.

Well I know I can get laminate over top for under $2/sq. ft. for materials and labor.

Doesn't refinishing cost about $2/sq. ft. for labor alone? Let alone replacing or filling the notches?

Updated about 3 years ago

Or are you saying I would just have to refinish the spots that are updated?

Originally posted by @Alfred Edmonds :

Only problem I see with the doorknobs is that they don't lock. Do you think that's an issue?

This includes the bathroom.

Hi Patrick,

I would STRONGLY advise you to have the floors patched or toothed in, as others have said. Get a good professional, often these are the types of jobs retired floor guys like to do. They'll finish the patch to match, that's all you need. The rest of the floor looks great... it would be a travesty to cover that up.

Same for the doorknobs, they look awesome! Don't replace those with some cheap junk from Home Depot. Just remove the paint and polish the brass like in the first pic. Don't worry about the locks. If you want, you can add a nice brass sliding surface lock for the bathroom, like this:

https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/bolt-locks-...

To complete the look, do the same with the hinges (probably don't need to polish, just soak 'em in paint remover). Little details like that don't cost anything, and add a quality luster to your house.

Cheers!

First question thing Im always curious about when it comes to hardwood floors is whether you have nail heads showing. If so, you cant sand it anymore. If you can sand them you can make those floors look real nice. Those notches are definitely nothing that a floor guy cant handle.

I looked up the going price for sanding and refinishing in the Xactimate database (which is the industry gold standard in estimating) in Orlando. The price is $3.12/sf and $3.78/sf if you add stain.

In my mind, you have a golden opportunity to make an impression. Please don’t put down laminate :)