What should I do about the lack of driveway?

What should I do about the lack of driveway?

FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes

This house has no driveway. An appraiser told me I should add one. The only place would be behind this double gate, but you see there is no access from the road. The concrete is just a curb to the road, not a ramp like a driveway, then there is just grass up to the sidewalk.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1eazi00eb9lb64/0704181737.jpg?dl=0

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2017 · 310 posts · 271 votes
8y

Most places you can't just cut into a curb without a permit.  "Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

https://www.seattle.gov/dpd/permits/permittypes/cu...

http://www.kirklandwa.gov/Assets/Public+Works/Publ...

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    I would first get rid of the chain link fence in the front. Then saw cut the curb and put in a 2 car driveway , stone , asphalt or concrete depending on your budget 

  • Investor · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2017 · 310 posts · 271 votes
    8y

    Most places you can't just cut into a curb without a permit.  "Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

    https://www.seattle.gov/dpd/permits/permittypes/cu...

    http://www.kirklandwa.gov/Assets/Public+Works/Publ...

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bryan, TX · Member since 2014 · 258 posts · 170 votes
    8y

    Call the city planning department, tell them you need a curb cut and find out what the requirements are to get the curb cut and what materials are allowed for a driveway.  

  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2017 · 268 posts · 247 votes
    8y

    Are you trying to buy this property or sell it or refinance it? I wouldn't add a driveway just for refi or even to sell.

    I am not sure the cost will justify the increase in valuation and I am pretty sure you won't getter significantly higher rent because of driveway. So please study the numbers carefully

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:

    I would first get rid of the chain link fence in the front. Then saw cut the curb and put in a 2 car driveway , stone , asphalt or concrete depending on your budget 

     Do you think I should end the driveway at the front of the house? Or bring it to the back of the house where the shed is?

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    Me , I would just bring it to the front corner of the house , 2 cars wide and a walkway to the front steps 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:

    Me , I would just bring it to the front corner of the house , 2 cars wide and a walkway to the front steps 

     That's exactly what I would do. Question: why is the fencing on both properties so far from the road? Is that a city sidewalk and a city median strip between the sidewalk and street or is that part of your property? If that's a city mandated median size it looks ridiculous; if it were my property, and there's no prohibition, I would plant out that strip after I put the driveway in. You need a curb cut, which is probably a permit from the city, and based on what I see of that house and the neighborhood in your picture I would do pea gravel, and maybe a concrete apron from the curb cut to the sidewalk. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.