Appraisal issues on house I am flipping

Appraisal issues on house I am flipping

Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2009 · 339 posts · 126 votes

Ok, so for the first time I have to deal with one of my flips not appraising for the sales price. I gave the appraiser a list of comparable recently sold, a list of repairs and before pictures of the condition of the house. I even provided a previous appraisal that had been done in November 2010 that came in at $112k.

I am selling the house for $100k and currently have a contract for that amount. The appraisal came in at $95k.

I am trying to figure out what I can do to fight this appraisal. First thing I want to do is to talk to the appraiser to make sure he got all his facts right and figure out why he came up with that amount. Second, If I recall right I might be able to request another appraisal?? I know I might have to pay for it but I am confident that a second appraisal would come in significantly higher.

Any other ideas what I might be able to do to fight this?

0Reply
213 views

Most Popular Reply

Curt DavisBusiness Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
15y

Well your November 2010 appraisal is old and not valid anymore so what it was then means nothing. IF your selling the home for $100K and it came back in at $95K, then lower your price $5K and close the deal. Dont waste your time trying to fight $5K. I actually think your lucky it did not come in lower. Move on and close the deal.

Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

52 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rehabber / Flipper · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2010 · 597 posts · 259 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by J Scott:

    I had one a couple months ago where the appraiser thought the contract price was $8K less than what it was (almost 10% less than it was), and it was clear the appraiser just went so far as to get the value to where he though the contract price was (which in actuality was $8K too low).

    Once he realized that he screwed up on the contract price, he "magically" was able to justify a much higher value with a new comp and some additional adjustments.

    Yes!!! Thank you, Jason and BiggerPockets! We just had this happen to us. The appraisal came in $10k below the contract price. We asked for the appraisal report and then noticed that the appraiser indicated that the contract price was for this lower amount (the amount of the appraisal). My agent called the appraiser and it turns out he only received the initial offer (which was for that lower price) and not the counter-offer which agreed upon a price $10k higher. With that updated information, our appraisal was increased the $10k to the actual contract price! Yay!

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Mike G.:

    Yes!!! Thank you, Jason and BiggerPockets! We just had this happen to us. The appraisal came in $10k below the contract price. We asked for the appraisal report and then noticed that the appraiser indicated that the contract price was for this lower amount (the amount of the appraisal). My agent called the appraiser and it turns out he only received the initial offer (which was for that lower price) and not the counter-offer which agreed upon a price $10k higher. With that updated information, our appraisal was increased the $10k to the actual contract price! Yay!

    Btw, two things we do differently after this experience:

    1. We ALWAYS ensure that the final contract is a clean contract with the actual sale/purchase price on the front page, not hidden in back in a counter-offer or addendum;

    2. When we meet with the appraiser, we ask him flat out, "So, what do you have as the contract price?" We actually averted this issue from happening a second time by asking this question. Somehow he had a price that was $5K less than the contract price (and I still have no idea where the incorrect price came from).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.