Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 717 posts · 50 votes
Hello, I have known that a few experienced investors use stainless appliances for rehabs. Where do you get them? I'm wondering because it seems spendy buying new and buying old seems cheap. Thanks
Real Estate Investor · Springfield, MA · Member since 2009 · 142 posts · 103 votes
15y
We get all our appliances at Lowes and we are generally using only stainless steel.
We use the same sales guy... and we've bought so many from him that whenever a really good deal comes up he calls us right away.
We go a little higher end with our appliances, usually getting either the Fridgidaire Gallery line or the real nice Samsung stuff. Our sales guy usually gives us a nice discount (15%) plus we also use discount cards and coupons for another 5%-10% off.
We do order a lot of appliances (we ordered 10 sets one month, costing around $20,000). Trying to peice together scratch and dent stuff, or shopping off Craigslist gets too cumbersome when you are doing a good volume.
One thing we use to do was try to get 1-2 pieces deeply discounted (display models, scratch and dent, returns, discontinued) and then buy the matching pieces of the set for full price. This would bring our cost for the complete set way down.
Real Estate Investor · Rocklin, CA · Member since 2011 · 28 posts · 6 votes
15y
I have been buying on Craigslist. In the past 6 months I have purchased 4 real clean, like new SS side by sides (27 cft) for an average of $700. Similar new units sell for upwards $1500.
Fortunately for me folks are vacating large homes & moving in to apartments & condos and there big refrigerators won't fit their new digs so rather than putting them in storage most folks end up selling them. You do have to keep checking CL every other day. I always try to keep at least one spare fridge on hand (I have a oversize garage) same goes for washers & dryers.
Rental Property Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2011 · 105 posts · 24 votes
15y
Craigslist or occasional sales. A couple of months ago, I picked up a 4 pc set of stainless for 1600 at HH Gregg. I think it may have been a special order, but it is certainly a nice set for a rehab/rental unit.
Rehabber / Flipper · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2010 · 597 posts · 259 votes
15y
Jeffrey, GE makes a finish called CleanSteel, which looks a lot like stainless steel but the models are usually cheaper.
As for "true" stainless steel, Best Buy occasionally runs a sale where you can buy the four kitchen items (fridge, dishwasher, range, microwave) for a big discount. Here (in SoCal), the total is about $1600. Not sure about delivery.
The nice thing about Home Depot is they deliver for free and the GE models are usually available for quick delivery.
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
15y
Originally posted by Jeffrey Cragar:
What is "stainless looking"? Do you have a list of the models and numbers?
Shoot me a PM and I'll send you all the SKUs...
As Mike pointed out, these are low-end GE products (generally Hotpoint, which is a GE brand), but from a look/feel stand-point, your lower-end and middle-end buyers will likely never notice the difference.
Rehabber · Powhatan, VA · Member since 2011 · 190 posts · 21 votes
15y
Lows usually has lilttle Staging area of matching sets. They are usually towards the rear of the appliance section. They have white, black and the ss looking sets for anywhere from $900 to $1,500 range. Free delivery and can do it quickly as well. You can even buy them while on sale and they will hold them for 30 days no charge.
Go to the same sales guy every time and get about 15 o/o off, non sales items.
My sales guy also has a landscaping business and I contracted him to do the lawn at my and my mothers house. Most those guys use Lowes for benefits and do other things. Build that relationship with them.
I get Whirlpool packages and went with black for our first flip. They look great with the counters and it's what I see in the current listings around my house.
Real Estate Investor · Springfield, MA · Member since 2009 · 142 posts · 103 votes
15y
We get all our appliances at Lowes and we are generally using only stainless steel.
We use the same sales guy... and we've bought so many from him that whenever a really good deal comes up he calls us right away.
We go a little higher end with our appliances, usually getting either the Fridgidaire Gallery line or the real nice Samsung stuff. Our sales guy usually gives us a nice discount (15%) plus we also use discount cards and coupons for another 5%-10% off.
We do order a lot of appliances (we ordered 10 sets one month, costing around $20,000). Trying to peice together scratch and dent stuff, or shopping off Craigslist gets too cumbersome when you are doing a good volume.
One thing we use to do was try to get 1-2 pieces deeply discounted (display models, scratch and dent, returns, discontinued) and then buy the matching pieces of the set for full price. This would bring our cost for the complete set way down.
Contractor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 978 posts · 985 votes
15y
It really depends. If I'm buying cheapie units, I'll get stainless steel frigidaire from brandsmart (better prices than Lowes or HD)
If I'm buying nicer stuff, I'll go to some local outlet type places that have rotating stock. It takes some work and extra time, but I've gotten some ridiculous deals on ranges, dishwashers, and microwaves.
For hoods, I prefer to use Build.com... better selection and better prices than going to HD or Lowes. Especially if you're looking for something that moves more than 300cfm. (The house I'm working on now got a 600cfm hood. That baby can move some dang air!!)
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
15y
Since I've gotten several requests, I'll just put the info here...
Attached to this post is a copy of part of my most recent Home Depot invoice, with the list of appliances (Fridge, Range, Microwave, Dishwasher, Washer, Dryer), their SKU numbers, their model numbers and the price I received (which may or may not be the price you receive).
To get more info about any product, just type the model number into Google. I've annotated the document with what each item is (since it's not obvious from the SKU unless you do a search).
Btw, for all 6 pieces in this order (including washer/dryer and free delivery), we paid about $2140, which is a bit more expensive than usual. I don't know if prices went up, or if the bid desk just didn't discount things the way they normally do (it's possible they increased discounts on other items for this order and not so much on the appliances), but normally, I get all 6 pieces for about $2100, including tax.
Developer · Atlanta Ga · Member since 2011 · 47 posts · 37 votes
15y
Just an FYI on buying items from Lowes and HD. When I did some work on my primary residence in FL, I purchased about $10K worth of items in a 2 month period of time from Lowes. My wife would buy Lowes or HD gift cards off of Ebay and save roughly 15%-20% off of the gift dollar amount. Then, if it were Lowe's we would grab a new address packet from the local post office which has a 10% off Lowes coupon in there as well. You can also get 100's of the Lowe's 10% off coupons off of Ebay if you don't feel like going by the Post office to grab one. I ended up saving $2,500-$3,000 on my $10,000 purchase.
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
15y
Originally posted by Don Hines:
Jason
As usual, you da man with info. Have you had any gripes about the fridge not haveing in door dispencers?
Don
The fridge is the one item we'll upgrade in any house that we plan to sell above $120K...we've never had any complaints about no in-door or ice dispensers, but I'm guessing that most buyers probably don't notice or think about it until they've moved in...
Real Estate Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2011 · 119 posts · 59 votes
15y
I've had quite a bit of luck at Sears Outlets, you have to look around and keep checking their inventories but if you have one near you, you can score some top of the line Samsungs or LG for 60% or more off MSRP.
Real Estate Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2009 · 191 posts · 47 votes
15y
I like our local scratch and dent place if the dents are not obvious. For buy and holds, you can get stainless steel fronts and not the sides for a little less.
For lower end properties, I like fridges without ice makers which often cause tenants trouble.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2008 · 885 posts · 316 votes
15y
I always buy my appliances at Lowes. I consistently deal with the same salesperson and he always hooks me up. The last set of appliances I bought (a couple weeks ago) I got 30% off.
If I can, I'll buy the "scratch and dent" units at Lowes. If the dents or scratches will be hidden by an adjacent wall or cabinet, it's no big deal and a money saver. Otherwise, I go with brand new Frigidaire Gallery units. Always stainless. I think the SilverMist color looks cheesy.
And, 9 times out of 10, I get the french door refrigerator. It makes the houses have a more "upscale" feel.