Washer / Dryer placement... Smaller kitchen or smaller bathroom?

Washer / Dryer placement... Smaller kitchen or smaller bathroom?

Rental Property Investor ยท Medford, MA ยท Member since 2016 ยท 288 posts ยท 171 votes

So I'm getting plans ready to renovate a 3br/1ba property outside of Boston and I want to open the kitchen up a little bit. They already have washer and dryer hookups, but it would really make the space feel bigger if I relocated them to the bathroom. If I did that however, I'd have to nix the tub and instead do a standup shower.

Do the Pro's outweigh the Con's in this situation? I'm thinking it's better to have a bigger, more open kitchen and sacrifice having a bathtub in the bathroom and instead just do a nice standup shower. 

Curious as to your thoughts and experiences. Thanks everybody!!

0Reply
93 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2018 ยท 1k+ posts ยท 1k+ votes
7y

"No garage, however there is a basement."

-----------------------------------

Put washer and dryer in basement, the way God intended.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor ยท West Chester , PA ยท Member since 2011 ยท 620 posts ยท 138 votes
    7y

    I agree with your choice and go for it ๐Ÿ‘

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Boston, MA ยท Member since 2015 ยท 19 posts ยท 23 votes
    7y
    @Christian Nachtrieb Stand up shower sounds good! Only thing you have to worry about is to increase your drain size for the shower to 2". Mass plumbing code requires this for stand up showers where as regular tub/shower combo is 1 1/2". Also if you do change to a shower try and sneak a one piece that is not a corner unit. I've been making the mistake in installing "MAAX angle showers" in 3 of my places and the the door rollers take a beating and seem to be a weak point.
  • Rental Property Investor ยท Medford, MA ยท Member since 2016 ยท 288 posts ยท 171 votes
    7y

    Hey @Eric D. awesome super helpful thank you! Was not aware of the drain size rule good lookinโ€™ out. 

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Portland OR ยท Member since 2018 ยท 2k+ posts ยท 3k+ votes
    7y

    As a buyer/renter i would not want my W/D in the bathroom, nor would I want only a shower for a 3bdrm house (think kids taking baths etc) 

  • Real Estate Broker ยท Bay Area ยท Member since 2018 ยท 1k+ posts ยท 3k+ votes
    7y

    Any chance of putting the washer and dryer in the garage?  That would be the no-brainer for me.

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Medford, MA ยท Member since 2016 ยท 288 posts ยท 171 votes
    7y

    @Mary M. I understand your point, thatโ€™s the same argument my fiancรฉ presented. The alternative would then be to leave them in the kitchen, thus eliminating some walking room / openness. 

    @Frank Wong No garage, however there is a basement. Also bare in mind this unit is in a 3 family building, so there are two other units on the property. Typical Boston. 

  • Indianapolis, IN ยท Member since 2014 ยท 68 posts ยท 28 votes
    7y

    Does it have a side-by-side w/d now?  Could you provide a stackable w/d in the kitchen? You could gain some space depending on the exact layout. 

    I agree that losing the tub could be an issue, however that really depends on what the local pool of renters are nearby. 

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Portland OR ยท Member since 2018 ยท 2k+ posts ยท 3k+ votes
    7y

    Maybe provide a sketch of layout?

  • Real Estate Investor ยท Williamson County, TX ยท Member since 2011 ยท 1k+ posts ยท 961 votes
    7y
    @Christian Nachtrieb who is your tenant base? 3 roommates or family...in the case of a family the tub is almost essential for toddlers and they are bathed daily. What about a bedroom? I am moving the door to a bedroom into the bedroom and framing a closet in the hall next to the bathroom (carved out of bedroom). Bedroom will suffer a little with the bump out, but it is just for sleeping and a queen will still fit.
  • David BarnettPro Member
    Rental Property Investor ยท Cambridge, MA ยท Member since 2016 ยท 634 posts ยท 415 votes
    7y

    @Christian Nachtrieb How many square feet is the property?  As a possible suggestion, have you thought about putting a washer/dryer combo in the kitchen?  In my primary residence (where space is limited), I have a washer/dryer combo that is underneath my counter top in the kitchen.  These units are a bit more expensive, and might be an option if you'd like to preserve the space.

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Upstate, NY ยท Member since 2012 ยท 3k+ posts ยท 3k+ votes
    7y

    I had a similar problem but it was a small kitchen & no room for the stove. BUT we had a mud room that abutted the kitchen so this is what we did. You could definitely do the same for a stackable W/D if you can redirect the plumbing & venting. The layout worked so well it rented immediately for $875 & when a larger unit with an older kitchen became available she wouldn't move.

    Good luck

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Medford, MA ยท Member since 2016 ยท 288 posts ยท 171 votes
    7y

    I appreciate all of the tips! When I get a chance this morning I will share the *current* floor plan and review ideas. I like the idea of keeping them non-stacked in the kitchen, get a smaller pair, and put a countertop over it.

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Medford, MA ยท Member since 2016 ยท 288 posts ยท 171 votes
    7y

    Attached below is current floor plan, with red X's marking where we plan to remove walls. The idea is to convert that bedroom adjacent to kitchen into the living room, and convert the current living room into a bedroom. The square in the center of the kitchen is a chimney, currently covered by plaster, which I plan to remove and expose the brick, so there is a beam dead center in kitchen to be aware of. I would guess the corner where the "pantry" is would be idea location for washer and dryer, either stacked or side by side adding more counter space.

  • Handyman ยท Pittsburgh, PA ยท Member since 2018 ยท 5k+ posts ยท 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Christian Nachtrieb

    Oh, this is starting to look like the blind leading the blind. And it shouldn't. @Pat L. commented here and I would have expected him to ask this before me. At least @Eric D. gave you the lowdown on the 2 in. shower drain.

    Where is the existing washer-dryer hookup, Christian? More specifically, where is the exterior vent for the dryer? Looking at the bathroom, how exactly would you put in an exterior dryer vent there?

  • Los Angeles ยท Member since 2018 ยท 464 posts ยท 471 votes
    7y
    @Christian Nachtrieb without looking at your plans (mobile app won't allow) I'd have to say that in general a larger kitchen sells better than a larger bathroom. However, somebody mentioned families with small children do need a bathtub.
  • Rental Property Investor ยท Medford, MA ยท Member since 2016 ยท 288 posts ยท 171 votes
    7y

    @Jim K. Currently the vent is on the right wall, just below where the pantry is. They're stuffed in that nook opposite the closet wall in the bedroom.

  • Handyman ยท Pittsburgh, PA ยท Member since 2018 ยท 5k+ posts ยท 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Christian Nachtrieb

    OK, thank you. I modified my comment above. Is there any reasonable way to put in an exterior dryer vent in the bathroom? It doesn't look like there is without running it to the porch.

    Second question, so the pantry became the laundry room?

  • Handyman ยท Pittsburgh, PA ยท Member since 2018 ยท 5k+ posts ยท 13k+ votes
    7y

    Is the tub a 4-footer and is that a very small closet next to the bathtub?

    Second question: and where's the stack? Or rather the stacks?  Is there one in the pantry wall?

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire ยท Northeast, TN ยท Member since 2015 ยท 10k+ posts ยท 16k+ votes
    7y

    OK looking at your plans I would remove the small wall between the current bedroom and the pantry and close off the wall that's the closet opening. Even if you make that a living room, there's hardly anything to be gained by taking the small pantry wall out (I assume you're going for open concept here) because you still have the chimney area that can't/won't be removed. Thus, I would put the washer & dryer in what looks like the current bedroom's closet, remove the two walls closing in the current bedroom, and close off the current bedroom closet. Then you have a laundry closet, you still have open concept, stove won't have to be moved if you don't want (since you still maintain that wall) and you don't have to fool with the bathroom at all, which is really small from your picture. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Member since 2018 ยท 1k+ posts ยท 1k+ votes
    7y

    "No garage, however there is a basement."

    -----------------------------------

    Put washer and dryer in basement, the way God intended.

  • Real Estate Appraiser ยท Isabella lake, CA ยท Member since 2018 ยท 628 posts ยท 491 votes
    7y

    You only have one bath, probably not a good idea to have no tub.

    I vote laundry in basement too.

  • David BarnettPro Member
    Rental Property Investor ยท Cambridge, MA ยท Member since 2016 ยท 634 posts ยท 415 votes
    7y

    @Christian Nachtrieb I'm not sure if I was clear about the type of unit that might work.  In my primary residence, I have a washer/dryer combo that's a 2 in 1 machine.  It's a washer and dryer in one machine, and is an apartment size (they have a lot of these in Europe).  The only downside, is that they cost a pretty penny (when I bought mine, it was like $1,600).  If space is at a premium, it might be worth it, and is a potential other option if you'd like to preserve as much space as possible.  Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Medford, MA ยท Member since 2016 ยท 288 posts ยท 171 votes
    7y

    Hey @David Barnett I did not quite understand thank you for clarifying. Didn't know such a machine existed that's great to know. Thanks for checking back in!

  • Professional ยท Milwaukee, WI ยท Member since 2015 ยท 35 posts ยท 27 votes
    7y

    Could provide a stacked washer and dryer? If you can you could bump ut the wall into the new living room and take some room out of the hall closet.   

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Upstate, NY ยท Member since 2012 ยท 3k+ posts ยท 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Christpher Schuebel love it BUT venting, 240v line or NG lines could be a big issue.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.