Design Question - What to do about Wood paneling

Design Question - What to do about Wood paneling

Real Estate Agent · Belleville, IL · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 17 votes

I am doing the analysis on this property as a next flip. Its a great house, the plan would be to purchase it for 60k, ARV would be 120 - 130k, it has a pool in decent shape, finished walkout basement with ceramic tile - a lot of nice features and its 2888 sqft.

There are two issues:

1. Bathroom - the only full bath, meaning bathtub, sink, toilet, is upstairs in the office area, downstairs there are two bathrooms, one with a shower, on without.  There may not be much I can do about this, unless the one with the shower has enough room for a tub - going back to measure that.

2. Wood paneling / simulated wood paneling - as seen in the pictures, its everywhere, including a really cool step-down-into library where its wrapped around the whole room with shelving (see picture 3).

In my last flip, we painted wood paneling like this, but it wasn't so much of it.  What would would I do about it here?

- Leave it the way it is and hope for buyers who grew up in the 70's

- Paint all of it - I think it looks tacky, but fresh, when you paint wood paneling

- Remove some, but not all of it - leave library alone

Enough said - please help if you have worked with / around wood paneling to bring a house up to date...  Can you sell a house with a bunch of dark wood paneling for retail price, if everything else is up to date?

1Reply
61 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y

@Robert Campbell For a property with a $120-130k ARV I would definitely paint the paneling.

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Robert Campbell

    I find a lot of properties with wood paneling.  It’s definately the 70’s look.  Sometimes I find drywall behind the paneling (lucky).  I usually remove it unless in the market it’s acceptable to paint it.  There’s a cost but it looks so much better and I think it’s worth it in the long run.  You will receive a higher sale price.  

    On the bathrooms you need at least one tub.  People tend to use showers way more than tubs.  Tubs for small children.  Looks like you have two tubs I think you are good.  The property is very dated with all the paneling. I would remove it and install drywall.  If the cabinets are decent I would paint those as well.  It will brighten up the kitchen and make it look bigger and more up to date.  The library I would try to leave the wood look, if I thought it was in really good shape.

    Good Luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boise/Portland · Member since 2017 · 709 posts · 742 votes
    7y

    I've not worked with paneling before, but I watched it done on another house and I was impressed.  I'd suggest painting it all.

    Examples I saw online;

    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e1/fc/d8/e1fcd8c932...

    https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f4/a2/31/f4a231e81bb1b6c...

    The difference is obvious and therefore would assume the ability to sell is increased significantly - unless the potential buyer is stuck in the 70s.  And I know some people who are!

    Good luck.

  • Real Estate Agent · Belleville, IL · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Kenneth Garrett and @Matthew McNeil - I appreciate the feedback.  I think your right Matthew, it just all needs to be painted (except maybe the library).  I did it myself in a couple of rooms on my last flip, but it wasnt almost 2500 sqft of paneling, just a couple of rooms:

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Robert Campbell For a property with a $120-130k ARV I would definitely paint the paneling.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boise/Portland · Member since 2017 · 709 posts · 742 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Robert Campbell:

    @Kenneth Garrett and @Matthew McNeil - I appreciate the feedback.  I think your right Matthew, it just all needs to be painted (except maybe the library).  I did it myself in a couple of rooms on my last flip, but it wasnt almost 2500 sqft of paneling, just a couple of rooms:

     Robert, if you decide to paint the panelling, please tag me and show us some before and after pictures!  And, yes, maybe keep the library panelled.  Cheers!

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    I've painted over wood panel and it looks good.  For the corners (or big gaps), caulk it with a paintable caulking before painted.  

  • Sally FairchildPro Member
    Investor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 106 posts · 84 votes
    7y

    @Matthew McNeil

    Thanks Matthew! I’m facing the exact same problem, to paint or not to paint. I wasn’t sure about painting but your before and after pictures are great. I didn’t realize how good it could look painted. Thanks

  • Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    I recently moved into a house with wood paneling in the main living room. I was a little suspect of what it would look like after it was painted, but it turned out great! Another benefit was that it brightened up the room instead of leaving it dark with the dark paneling.

  • Engineer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Robert Campbell caulk grooves, thinset wall, spray texture, then paint

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 142 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    I painted the paneling in the house I rehabbed a few years ago and was really happy with how it turned out. The house is in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in my area, so generally the finishes are quite nice. The painted paneling fits right in with the high end look. I am actually planning to put an offer in other another single family with panel walls soon, and part of the reason I think I'm going to get such a good deal is that I think the paneling is scaring people off.

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Robert Campbell paint it all white! It would brighten it up and look great!:)

  • NYC, NY · Member since 2016 · 617 posts · 456 votes
    7y

    Regarding your first question:

    As long as there is one tub in the house, you don't need to add another.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 172 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    @Robert Campbell I feel at this ARV range - it wont be a big deal .

    Also may be try ripping one panel and see if there is drywall ?  I have seen even properties in 250k range having painted panels . Like some one suggested in this thread , caulk it and perfect that process . This will definitely come handy .

    If they are not uneven , could you put a thinner drywall on top of them ?

    Also is there a pool ? I am surprised no one mentioned , But I thought pool is a big liability and at this price point in Illinois , would that not scare away buyers ? Of course if its common in that neighbhorhood and the comps suggest no issues , then that is cool . Because I learnt its even tough to close a pool and you have to disclose it during sale.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boise/Portland · Member since 2017 · 709 posts · 742 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sally Fairchild:

    @Matthew McNeil

    Thanks Matthew! I’m facing the exact same problem, to paint or not to paint. I wasn’t sure about painting but your before and after pictures are great. I didn’t realize how good it could look painted. Thanks

     Sally, ... and it makes the rooms look much larger.  If you paint the paneling, be sure to post some before and after pics.  Good luck!

  • Real Estate Appraiser · Isabella lake, CA · Member since 2018 · 628 posts · 491 votes
    7y

    I think the kitchen looks pretty good.

    But, the library? All those shelves, and who has that many books these days? You? LOL. 

    Leave the kitchen alone, redo the library. 

    Ditch shelves, paint or remove paneling.

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    I've been a professional painter for a little over 20 yrs. 

    Personally, I like to smooth up the grooves with caulk. Not fill them. I caulk them and wipe it all out leaving the grooves entirely but smooth and clean. It will make your fingers bleed after a while, but, you do what you gotta do. I then pin all the joints between panels with a brad nailer and caulk them too. I fill any large imperfections in the face of the panels with quickset mud.

    Now that you've doubled back and really tightened everything(trims and all) with caulking it's on to paint.

    For a really high quality job you will want to spray/roll and back brush two coats of oil primer. You have to back brush to fill the open pores and get the grooves. I know, it's a daunting proposition but it will make the panels look so good that you will wonder why you ever thought about removing them. 

    Done like this and the panelling becomes a really great and stylish addition to you home. Cheaper, faster and better looking than a full drywall job. That's right! The panels become a really great ADDITION to your room.

    I've also taped and mudded panelling with pretty good results. Difficulty; I highly suggest using quickest over panelling or risk it failing pretty quick. Quickset mud is not a product for the beginner. Drys very quick and quite difficult to sand.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I need to save this thread. I have some wood paneling in one of my multi-family properties that looks so bad - it looks like something out of a cheap hunting cabin and it's not OK. 

    It's amazing how good some of the work y'all have done looks.  

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    @Robert Campbell paint all but the library unless you can do drywall in some areas. No one likes the 70’s that much 😅

  • Real Estate Agent · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Robert Campbell 1. As a real estate agent, I market any room with a shower OR tub and toilet and sink as a full bathroom. Sounds like you have 2.5 baths. Shower bases are much more popular now than tubs. As long as there’s one tub in the house for families with small kids, you’re good. I never knew how much my husband and I would use a tub until my toddler came.

    2. I just bought a 4/1 house with ALL paneling (1550 sf) and I’ve paid $8000 so far to drywall it. The drywall and grey paint looks great except I have about $1000 more in edge finishes and $1000-2000 more in re-trimming to do. It can get expensive quickly. If you tear out the paneling you’re subject to rewiring the house (no longer grandfathered wiring on a gut) / getting insulation permits at least in my town (>30% area drywall replacement). My wood look paneling was mostly painted throughout in funky colors but nothing filling the grooves so it was obviously paneling. I drywalled over some paneling in rooms and that might affect resale value. My purchase was 80 and my goal arv is 200, so we’re in a different ballpark here. I’m not sure if you can get drywall services for less because Nj is like $50-60 per 8x4 sheet installed and finished. April Crossley took out paneling in a recent flip in a lower price point area and did no window trim and I think she sold it almost immediately. For you, I think painting the paneling and keeping your trim is the cost effective way to go for a quick flip of such a big square footage. If the house was worth 400k I’d say tear it out.

    3. I like your library. I’d stage it with stuff during the sale (NOT a lot of books, maybe a chess set, reader chair, globe, interesting objects, some cool looking hardbound books) and leave it alone. The house is big. This is kind of an accent piece. Imagine a lawyer who would love it.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Robert Campbell if you can, install drywall over it.

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Karen Margrave:

    @Robert Campbell if you can, install drywall over it.

    That is doable. If you are really careful. The problem is that your outside corners will grow larger than your inside corners because of the outside corner bead. Now the base trims at the outside corners are short. Also, all your door and window frames need to be furred out because the walls are now thicker than their respective frames. Make sure that you can find matching trim at the store to account for a fair amount of breakage and outside corner shortages.

  • George SkidisPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Belleville, IL · Member since 2017 · 875 posts · 529 votes
    7y

    Wood paneling is a GREAT LOOK for the RIGHT BUYER. In today's market with every potential home owner buying based upon what they saw in their favorite episode, buyers are becoming more choosy.

    Paneling is a great surface for roaches and other vermin to hide behind. Painting over paneling looks tacky. Especially to the HGTV crowd.

    I would remove the paneling in almost every room. I would consider leaving it in the "Library / Study" for the scholarly types that might drop in. How close are you to a University? Any school with Masters and PHD programs with have someone who owns a tweed jacket with elbow patches. They will love the paneled study.

    Once you get over 100 miles from a university the appeal for that study will diminish.

    If it is real wood don't expect to find anything behind it but studs and termites. Thin imitation paneling "MIGHT" have drywall behind it to give it strength.

    Just remember you are competing with the talking heads of HGTV. They have polluted your pool of buyer's. 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Robert Campbell Sorry, with my original reply I somehow didn't see the ARV. Definitely paint. The size of that house wouldn't make sense to do new drywall.

  • West Lafayette, IN · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    @Robert Campbell We have had good luck covering wood paneling with very thin drywall. I might consider painting an one wall of panel and having it as an accent wall but more than that is not worth the time. Personally, I think it looks dated and like you were trying to hide paneling. It just r, the ones people that the house is old, but not the good kind of “has character” old. I love built-ins but the paneled wall of bookcases is also very dated. I had a paneled wall of shelves just like your picture. Was hesitate to remove all that storage space but removing the shelves and putting drywall over then panel transformed the room.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Ken Slawson I've been working in development doing new construction for years. Not until the past few years have I ever been involved with a remodel, and my son and I did a manufactured home. I thought he'd put drywall over paneling, but he actually tore out the paneling. Came out great though, didn't even seem like a manufactured home. It was in a recreational area, and we did it rustic style with alder cabinets, wood slat ceiling, etc. Anyway... good advice and save there. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.