• Belleville, IL
Votes |
Design Question - What to do about Wood paneling

Robert Campbell
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Belleville, IL
Posted Jan 14 2019, 03:32

I am doing the analysis on this property as a next flip. Its a great house, the plan would be to purchase it for 60k, ARV would be 120 - 130k, it has a pool in decent shape, finished walkout basement with ceramic tile - a lot of nice features and its 2888 sqft.

There are two issues:

1. Bathroom - the only full bath, meaning bathtub, sink, toilet, is upstairs in the office area, downstairs there are two bathrooms, one with a shower, on without.  There may not be much I can do about this, unless the one with the shower has enough room for a tub - going back to measure that.

2. Wood paneling / simulated wood paneling - as seen in the pictures, its everywhere, including a really cool step-down-into library where its wrapped around the whole room with shelving (see picture 3).

In my last flip, we painted wood paneling like this, but it wasn't so much of it.  What would would I do about it here?

- Leave it the way it is and hope for buyers who grew up in the 70's

- Paint all of it - I think it looks tacky, but fresh, when you paint wood paneling

- Remove some, but not all of it - leave library alone

Enough said - please help if you have worked with / around wood paneling to bring a house up to date...  Can you sell a house with a bunch of dark wood paneling for retail price, if everything else is up to date?

Loading replies...