Moving Mobile Homes

1 Reply

Hey, seeing who has experience moving mobile homes.

I've flipped a bunch of mobile homes in parks, but recently started analyzing some numbers in regards to buying land and moving a home onto a lot. I've called some companies and it seems like the price varies somewhere between 10-20k to move one, based on a number of different variables.

But in analyzing the numbers, my market it looks like I can pick up land for 35-45k, moving cost 15k, purchase of an older home and rehab 50k. Arv 160-170k.

Seems like a profitable play. Who has experience pulling a mobile home out of a park? Does the park have any say in allowing/not allowing this? I still own a few in parks, so I think it could damage the relationship with the manager, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Any other resources you know of to find manufactured homes?

Thanks for any feedback.

Lots of caveats on this one. I have yet to find a bank to finance a twice moved manufactured home (I live in one). So your buyers would need you to provide financing.

When we moved this home it cost about $10k, that was a few years ago. It is an 1800 sf double wide in the same county. The sides were joined, roof seam reshingled, exterior wall join had a strip of siding place on it. In general, you will need to have a travel permit for each county the home will travel through. They can be cheap or not. Even at $50 it can add up. I know that one county I checked it was $250 per side.

Some parks don't allow you to remove an intact trailer. If you look at some of them, there isn't enough room to pull it out of the space, remember these things are like 70 feet long and you have to factor in the truck too.

If the new site doesn't have a pad you will need to do that. It involves ground work, gravel, possibly concrete pads or blocks. Depending on the codes you may have to install tie downs (that might be included in your set up fee from the mover). 

Developing vacant property can also have a cost. You will need to run power from the last pole to the power pole beside the trailer. Depending on your power company it may be several hundred to several thousand. I remember one company I checked with about 25 years ago charged $10k per pole to run power to your property or on your property.

Water-don't assume water is available just because there is a water system. The water system I'm on is closed. You can only get on it if someone else abandons their hookup. Since we only pay $25 per month for a large amount of water no one gives theirs up. Wells can be pricey. I drilled a well about 8 years ago and paid only $5k for about 200 feet, pvc cased. Pump and pipe we did ourselves for about $3k. Deeper the well the more it will cost. Even community hookups can be expensive so make sure you find out what you are in for. A house with no water is worthless. Also a lot of finance companies won't finance springs or cisterns.

Sewer/Septic-The city wanted to charge my grandma $15k to hook up to sewer, that was about 15 years ago. Septic, gravity fed is the cheapest but some counties no longer allow them. I checked, my sand filter system is about $55k to put in a new one. Check what you can do and how much it will cost.

Building codes/covenants-some places don't allow manufactured homes.

Another source for used homes is new dealers. When they sell a new home sometimes the old trailer has got to go. The dealer near us was kind and didn't take anything for the one we got. It was actually in good shape but the manager was nice. This was while I was being treated for cancer. The old trailer on our lot was full of mold which wasn't helping my health any. The guy took pity on me. Since the people who owned it would have to pay to demo it they gave it to us and the dealer opted to not charge a finders fee. They often have used homes for $10-50k.

Craigslist-I have seen to be moved homes on here.

Good luck. I considered doing in park flips but am always worried that the high space rent would eat up my profit. Around here, the rent runs about $750-800 per month so can add up quickly. On the plus side, there are some we could just pay cash for so no financing cost.