$8000 paint quote for a 750sq ft home???.....

72 Replies

We have a small 750sq ft single family home that we have completely renovated. Started getting quotes for paint and I was shocked!!!! This does include interior and exterior with trim. But still, $8000!!!!! How do y’all feel about this quote??? Any suggestions for getting the price down? Btw, the painting on the exterior is on newly installed siding, no scraping or sanding required.

Is the inside a repaint or is everything new?  New trim? New Drywall?

Typically in Michigan going rate or new construction paint jobs is $3.75 labor and materials Sqft.  Repaints on turn over is $2.50 sqft.   Exterior what type of siding?  If the entire house needs to be paint we generally see about $2.00sqft for exterior.  Plus money for windows around $75 per window. That's wall sqft not house sqft so you would have to figure that out yourself.

@David Stumpf the MDF siding installed does not have a painted finish ideal for this environment and the color is just ugly with no curb appeal. Needs better protection , and highly suggested from our contractor. Examples of what it could and would look like if not proactive were provided . Looked terrible. This is a short term Airb&B buy and hold forever property.

Obviously that’s way too high for that small of a house. That’s a quote from a guy who doesn’t have time to do it, or doesn’t want to for some reason, but will if you pay that outrageously high number. 

No point in trying to talk him down. Just get other quotes. 

@Sean Tippens

I understand wanting to prep or treat the new siding with a good exterior paint & sealant. We just replaced wood siding on a house & did the same extra steps. With the Texas heat & constantly changing weather here you want to protect your investment but 8k?!? I’m sorry but I would paint it myself & use the money on interior finishes or next property.

Call your local Sherwin williams and ask to speak with an outside salesperson for referrals to a investor/contractor friendly painter. Get at least 3 names and if you use one, make sure you get your paint from SW as a thank you. When the painter gives you a quote ask them to explain why the price is what it is. How do they price their work... by the square foot, by the room etc. When you understand how they price it then you can rough estimate the work and it should be close to what they would bid. You will find some painters like other contractors are more retail/homeowner oriented (highest price) and others are investor/builder oriented (value priced) and others are commercial/industrial. You want to use painter who is investor/builder oriented to best match up with your type of work/operation. They like a long term relationship with someone who is easy to work with, knows what they want and pays fair and quick. 

For reference, here in MT a friend just had a spec house painted , just interior at 1750 sq ft and it cost $8,400 dollars. Three days of labor for one guy. I talked to another painter at a jobsite last week and he said they are just run ragged trying to keep up. For a lot of trades it’s name your own price.

@Sean Tippens

Way way too expensive, find another painter.

I found painters charge average of $0.70 to $1.00 per sq ft inside a house include both labor and material, everything.

Usually, I pay $700 for a 750 Sq ft house include both labor and materials

@Sean Tippens

Yes in a lot of states there is a labor shortage in trades. It sounds like he's just really busy and doesn't have time. So you can either buy him off or walk away from the table. But 8k is still alot, I'd say if youre trying to save some money ask if he can do it for 5k...

8k? that's about twice what it should be.  Get some more quotes.  Sometimes they give you crazy high quotes because they just don't have the time.  I got a quote for my roof that was almost 3k more than any other quote.  

That is a very high quote.  I would move on as stated above.  How many quotes have you gotten?

@Sean Tippens no idea about Texas but yes, that’s insane. Free enterprise he can charge as much as he wants.

750 square feet? In Nevada the best deal you could get on that is prob 2.40 a square foot since your doing both interior and exterior.

1.20 a square foot.

Go on yelp, tell them how big and send for quotes for other companies.

When I did it I got anywhere from 1900-3300 to other guys going well I’d have to come by and take a look (they definitely were gonna cost more) even though I provided plenty of info and got plenty of quotes from others

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

@Sean Tippens

I found painters charge average of $0.70 to $1.00 per sq ft inside a house include both labor and material, everything.

and where in the country might you be getting those numbers.. I know painters that specialize in apartment interiors that blow through them for price per bed room etc. and you can get those pretty cheap.. but for SFR with nicer trim work and no paint splattered everywhere in Oreogn we are 2 bucks plus.. and about 2.30 inside and out.. and depends on cabinets and trim work as well. WE paint a lot of our cabinets.

Seems like the min bid for an exterior is at least $2k.  I did the little 800sqft house below myself for $60 (mixed my own leftover paint) and a day of frustration. Like you, I only had $7k into the entire reno and couldn't stomach it.

Most of my interiors I pay myself about $150 per room.  I'll pay about $120 per room on average if I don't want to do it.  I did a bedroom yesterdqy in 2.5 hrs. Whod a thunk painting 'pays' $60 /hr while listening to podcasts. 

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :
Originally posted by @Ran L.:

@Sean Tippens

and where in the country might you be getting those numbers.. I know painters that specialize in apartment interiors that blow through them for price per bed room etc. and you can get those pretty cheap.. but for SFR with nicer trim work and no paint splattered everywhere in Oreogn we are 2 bucks plus.. and about 2.30 inside and out.. and depends on cabinets and trim work as well. WE paint a lot of our cabinets.

The painters (Of course not a license contractor, but they still do a very good job, because they do the same job almost every day for many years.)  are in Las Vegas, the price is for interior walls, ceilings, doors, and baseboards.  The price does not include cabinets. Painting cabinets are separate price.  

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan :

Seems like the min bid for an exterior is at least $2k.  I did the little 800sqft house below myself for $60 (mixed my own leftover paint) and a day of frustration. Like you, I only had $7k into the entire reno and couldn't stomach it.

Most of my interiors I pay myself about $150 per room.  I'll pay about $120 per room on average if I don't want to do it.  I did a bedroom yesterdqy in 2.5 hrs. Whod a thunk painting 'pays' $60 /hr while listening to podcasts. 

One winter when I was in Napa and logging was rained out up north.. I wanted to paint the interior of my home and this was mid 90s bid was 7500.00 when you live at Silverado CC in Napa the price doubles automatically.. so I said screw that and did it myself.. now I did it on days we got rained out for golf .. but I did everything but the ceiling in the front entry since it was 20 feet up and I did not want to kill myself falling from a ladder.. so I think I paid 1500 for that and they were done in 3 hours.  LOL.. one high school job I had was working for a painter in the summer.. so I understood a little about it.. 

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :
Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

One winter when I was in Napa and logging was rained out up north.. I wanted to paint the interior of my home and this was mid 90s bid was 7500.00 when you live at Silverado CC in Napa the price doubles automatically.. so I said screw that and did it myself.. now I did it on days we got rained out for golf .. but I did everything but the ceiling in the front entry since it was 20 feet up and I did not want to kill myself falling from a ladder.. so I think I paid 1500 for that and they were done in 3 hours.  LOL.. one high school job I had was working for a painter in the summer.. so I understood a little about it.. 

Yep, painters can make some coin.

The biggest thing for me is usually lead time.  Can't wait two weeks for them to get there.  I'll be long done and performing again before they can show up.  

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan :
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

Yep, painters can make some coin.

The biggest thing for me is usually lead time.  Can't wait two weeks for them to get there.  I'll be long done and performing again before they can show up. 

its also good exercise.. I just don't like ladders much.. and absolutely wont get on a roof..