How to make the numbers work for an addition when flipping?

2 Replies

I see other investors building on to existing houses to create more spread on their flips, but I just don't understand how to make this work. I have done several flips, but never incorporated an addition. Most neighbohoods that my flips fall into were built in the 70's-80's, and there is no new construction.  Can someone share an example with numbers of what a deal might look like that incorporates an addition? My typical flip looks something like this:

Purchase price: $50,000

Rehab: $25,000

Holding: $3,500

Selling costs: $$10,750

Sale price: $125,000

Price per square foot: $95 

Since values in these areas aren't sky high, building on an addition looks like a break even at best for me. Any help is greatly appreciated!

@Austin Works you need to be in a much higher price point to make additions work. Usually ARV of $200k or more is where that is going to work. Not much room when the houses sell for $125k.

Looks like you are making $35k per deal on $125k which is pretty good. A $25k rehab doesn't take very long either so you have a seriously great business model. I would stay focused on that and do as many of those as you can. Not many people can make $35k on a $125k house.

@Greg Dickerson , not all are this lucrative, but this is a good average. I typically range betweek 25-35k, with 30k being a more realistic average. These are definitely becoming harder to find, so I am looking to incorporate new strategies to make more deals work. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here