Flooring in foreclosure.

4 Replies

I need to redo the floors in a foreclosure. The floor is wavy so I'll have to redo the underneath (going under the house and fixing the foundation) and then put a floor on top. Any ideas on where and what kind of flooring to put into a rental? This is my first property. I only bought it for 19k. Want a floor to look good, last, but not put too much money in.

Originally posted by @Ashley McSpadden :

I need to redo the floors in a foreclosure. The floor is wavy so I’ll have to redo the underneath (going under the house and fixing the foundation) and then put a floor on top. Any ideas on where and what kind of flooring to put into a rental? This is my first property. I only bought it for 19k. Want a floor to look good, last, but not put too much money in.

Either engineered hardwood or LVT is the most durable other than ceramic.

The answer is it depends. You should be looking at what your local competition has in their rentals then do equal or better for best rental rates keeping in mind durability. Price points and class of property and location make a big difference too. Tenants in lower end areas will likely be rough on your unit, so with that in mind, skip carpet obviously and go with something solid and somewhat water proof as spills are likely too. Porcelain tiles will be very durable, last a long time and if one or a few get cracked, easily replaced with a good tile installer. Use darker grout colors and try and keep grout lines thin. Engineered Hardwood can easily be scratched and is certainly not water resistant so in a lower end price point, I would not recommend it. Laminate wood flooring is another option, a bit more water resistant and also damaged areas can be replaced.

All in all, you really need to check your competition and then go with the most durable in that price point. Lastly, your budget is key as well but do keep in mind the lifespan in your cost analysis.

No problem Ashley.

Ceramic tile is the lowest end, porcelain tile is more durable with less chances to crack and has prettier options in my opinion. They also have porcelain tiles that look like wood which is a popular option as well but more expensive and likely out of budget for a lower end rental.