Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Keith Thomas
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Auburn, WA
Votes |
When should you bring in a designer / architect on your flip?

Keith Thomas
Pro Member
  • Auburn, WA
Posted Dec 15 2019, 19:33

This is my second project and I seem to struggle with design portion. But usually when I hear people flip , I rarely hear them mention designer or architect.

User Stats

Votes
Nik Moushon
  • Architect
  • Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Wenatchee, WA
Replied Dec 15 2019, 21:10

Thats because most people go watch HGTV for their "design" ideas and think they can do it good enough to pull something off. 

Another reason is the cost and time. SFH renovations dont require a licensed architect and if your project isnt that big...good luck getting anyone to even take it on. The market is just crazy right now so they arent taking on the small reno projects. if you do get them to take on your project you have to fit into their schedule...which could be months to even get a small project done.

If you really dont think you can do the design or really want a better design you could try finding some freelance designers/architects to do it. They will be cheaper that going to an actual firm. You can try looking on Craigslist or other websites to find a local one. 

User Stats

Votes
Greg Dickerson#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • Developer
  • Charlottesville, VA
Votes |
Greg Dickerson#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • Developer
  • Charlottesville, VA
Replied Dec 16 2019, 03:34
Originally posted by @Keith Thomas:

This is my second project and I seem to struggle with design portion. But usually when I hear people flip , I rarely hear them mention designer or architect.

Many of the cabinet and flooring companies will offer design services for free or a small fee. If you are doing the same type of flip you can use the same selections of the houses are in different areas.You can hire interior designers as well. They don’t charge much for a flip package. 

For floor plans you can hire an independent designer or architect if you need one. Stay away from large firms s as they will not be cost effective for a flip unless it is a larger project with an addition or ADU or something like that.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Fries
  • Contractor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Dec 16 2019, 04:24

@Keith Thomas

That's because nobody ever uses them. Just watch HGTV and steal their ideas as others have suggested.

User Stats

Votes
Lien Vuong
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Replied Dec 16 2019, 05:29

To answer your original question - you bring them in from the start of the project, right before and after you close on the property so they can map out your plans for you. That way they can create a 'map' for your project and start designing your project in a more purposeful way with your other contractors. 

The Elle Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied Dec 16 2019, 08:02

Like Lien started, right at the start is when you bring them in. That said, for your standard flips, it should not be necessary for you to hire an architect or designer. Before anyone starts flipping, they should know their market and that includes being inside and outside of as many homes on the market as possible (and even off market) to get a feel for the finishes and design selections your “competition” has. Then follow that lead to equal or better for the highest resale values.

Unless you are knocking down walls, changing the layout, and/or making an addition, you should not need an architect. 

Account Closed
  • Developer
  • Maplewood, NJ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Maplewood, NJ
Replied Dec 16 2019, 12:06

HGTV is a joke, I wouldn't copy anything on that.  Bring the designer in during the first week to get an idea of what direction you want to go and what style.  I have flipped over 100 houses and only needed an architect on about 5 of them.  I also bring over an inspector for $200 on day 1 to point out all issues before I get started.  I would then take the designer shopping and purchase all flooring, tile, hardware, cabinets, vanities, etc.  You can bang it all out in a day.  Also, so much can be bought online now that you can email back and forth too. Let the designer also pick out all the paint colors and light fixtures.  Find a great one for $100 an hour, you will need them for about 10 hours, and you will get paid back in dividends when you go to list it.  It will look like a designer home, not a typical flip or HGTV house.  It will attract a higher end buyer and help people dismiss any negatives with the house (small, busy street, etc).

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 16 2019, 19:40
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

HGTV is a joke, I wouldn't copy anything on that.  Bring the designer in during the first week to get an idea of what direction you want to go and what style.  I have flipped over 100 houses and only needed an architect on about 5 of them.  I also bring over an inspector for $200 on day 1 to point out all issues before I get started.  I would then take the designer shopping and purchase all flooring, tile, hardware, cabinets, vanities, etc.  You can bang it all out in a day.  Also, so much can be bought online now that you can email back and forth too. Let the designer also pick out all the paint colors and light fixtures.  Find a great one for $100 an hour, you will need them for about 10 hours, and you will get paid back in dividends when you go to list it.  It will look like a designer home, not a typical flip or HGTV house.  It will attract a higher end buyer and help people dismiss any negatives with the house (small, busy street, etc).

How would you go about finding a great one? How would you tell the difference? 

User Stats

Votes
Karen Margrave
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
Votes |
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
ModeratorReplied Dec 16 2019, 20:03

@Keith Thomas are you talking about design as in the floorplan, or in styling the house, staging, etc.?  If you're talking about staging the house, go look at model homes in your area and see what is popular. Developers pay interior designers to style their homes to their markets, use it. If you can't afford all they've done, look at the key elements, what are the must haves that make the room? Style and color of cabinets, countertops, lighting, flooring, then get that look in a price point that fits your budget because the lower price points always have knockoffs of the high end designers. Look at the colors used on exterior. It's not rocket science. 

After a few houses you'll have your style down and a lot more confidence. Good luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Steven Lowe
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Dec 16 2019, 20:45

@Keith Thomas it depends on the scope of work. If you are doing a full gut rehab with an addition, you will need an architect to get involved. As a contractor I prefer having a set of bid drawings to work off of when doing estimates.

User Stats

Votes
Mandi Lambert
  • Murrieta, CA
Votes |
  • Murrieta, CA
Replied Dec 16 2019, 22:59

@Keith Thomas I’m a designer and we work in many different ways, obviously the needs of a client are always different. I would hire a designer on an hourly consulting basis and go from there. If you like their ideas and feel that the scale could grow, thus allowing for a larger return for you, then I think it would be worth it. If you want a designer for the full project, I would not recommend an hourly fee, but a project fee OR what I have done in the past is draw a contract of initial deposit and remaining balance of design fee paid when the property sells. In this method, designer would make a slightly higher fee due to having to wait for payment.

Account Closed
  • Developer
  • Maplewood, NJ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Maplewood, NJ
Replied Dec 17 2019, 08:46

Find a great designer?  Find the most popular designer in the area you are flipping.  That will also help your network.  That can apply to your entire team and all the trades.  Use local that way you become more known, get more housing leads, and get a good reputation.  

User Stats

Votes
Jared W Smith
  • Architect
  • Westchester County, NY
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Westchester County, NY
Replied Dec 17 2019, 13:05

I am an architect and am doing a flip with an investor right now. Full interior gut (2 fls + Bas) and removal of shoddy porch enclosure. The only portion that remains existing is the foundation, exterior wall sheathing and floor/wall/roof framing/rafters. Using an architect depends largely on the location, depth of the renovation and as @Nik Moushon mentioned if an architect/engineer is even needed. NY has strict Building Codes and with energy conservation efforts expanding, their are measures in place to make sure home are energy efficient. 

Also if you need to deal with the City/Town municipality for permits and inspections, then you may want to have an architect on board who is familiar with the filing process.   

HGTV is such fluff when it comes to what actually happens in a flip. So much is not shown. Often times they have an architect or engineer plans that they are referring to onsite. They just don't broadcast it. @Keith Thomas    

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Keith Thomas
Pro Member
  • Auburn, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Auburn, WA
Replied Dec 18 2019, 02:13

@Lien Vuong Yes totally agree to bring them in the beginning of the project. I had one that I consulted with on a hourly basis. My mistake was i hired her after my contractor had gave me a bid and being pressed for time as this was a VA Rehab But she wanted 2 hour blocks and only wanted to stay in one area. Where as my thoughts where to get as much done in that 2 hours. Scope of work was more of flow and what walls to move non- load bearing type of things. Next time right before and after I close. Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Keith Thomas
Pro Member
  • Auburn, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Auburn, WA
Replied Dec 18 2019, 02:26

@Jared W Smith Just curious at what percentage should I budget for use of a Architect? I spoke with an Architect and he referred me to a Design build firm. Whats your thoughts on that? Just curious. Yes I agree HGTV is a lot of Fluff.

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Dec 18 2019, 03:35

When the permits require architectural drawings.

Otherwise I know how to use graph paper and scale measurements.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 11 2020, 06:06

I'm in the process right now.  This is a zombie house with water damage to the foundation, etc. , one room that is blocked off as the floor may fall through, etc.  I'm going to hire a structural engineer because of the degree of damage on this house.  If it's cosmetic, you probably don't need one. 

User Stats

Votes
Jared W Smith
  • Architect
  • Westchester County, NY
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Westchester County, NY
Replied Aug 14 2020, 17:34
Originally posted by @Keith Thomas:

@Jared W Smith Just curious at what percentage should I budget for use of a Architect? I spoke with an Architect and he referred me to a Design build firm. Whats your thoughts on that? Just curious. Yes I agree HGTV is a lot of Fluff.

Sorry for not responding sooner, I missed the notification. 

Budgeting for an architect is difficult since their fee typically depends on the scope of work and complexity of project. You could estimate from 5-8% of construction cost.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Levy
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Oct 28 2020, 08:54

My wife has her own Interior Design firm and is working remotely with a lot of her clients during COVID. She does renderings of the space and does the design/selection of items too. Let me know if you would like more information. 

User Stats

Votes
Steve Morris
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Portland, OR
Replied Oct 28 2020, 09:47

End of the day, you need to decide payback.

Designer / architect will want a fee and probably want you to spend more on the improvements.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 20 2023, 07:10

I am a flipper and designer. I work with several investors/flippers around MD, VA and DC. I work with the budget, I am not a luxury and expensive designer. If anyone are looking for better ideas in the budget, I offer a full service. That's is my passion!