Issues with intruder at flip property

11 Replies

Well, I am sure I'm not the first to encounter this issue. I have a flip property and I am having trouble with after intruders. So far... nothing is getting stolen, but it's obvious someone gained entry after the last person had left for the day. Things were different... lights off when they had been left on, radio (fake occupied) was turned off and certain it was on when I left. Fast forward to now.. What are you doing to reduce the intruder? Are you using a security system, cameras or anything else? 

Someone has a key, or going through a window.

I do believe in "ghosts".   But.. I think if you change the locks and

out up a couple fake cameras , problem solved!

Most Ghost can not turn on and off radio's but some can turn on and off lights!!!  Bo!!!!

Here's what happens in cases like these...you use a lockbox for trades to access the key.  A trade will give the code to a delivery guy - or a friend - or a prospective client and they now all have access to your property.  As long as the lockbox is visible/present, it let's everyone know that no one is living there.  It's time to move the lockbox to a different location and change the code.  Let your trades know that the property is being monitored and that they are not authorized to give the code to anyone.  I recommend posting a No Trespassing sign on the front and rear of the property as well as a "security camera in use" sign (there is actually a small sticker available at the big box stores) above/next to the lockbox.  

While you may not be having thefts and/or damage, it can lead to squatting, a great party location, and a nuisance for those who live next door.  

Fun, huh?

@David

@David Avery Will be buying new locks today. Install tomorrow and getting a couple of fake cameras. I have a feeling it's the neighbor or the man across the street. This property was vacant for approx 6 years and the next door neighbor parked there and one day I caught him burning cut grass in a barrel right under the eave and almost caught the house on fire. Barrel is now gone, but I am pretty sure it's him who is going inside. Thank you

Originally posted by @Shelby LeBlanc :

Well, I am sure I'm not the first to encounter this issue. I have a flip property and I am having trouble with after intruders. So far... nothing is getting stolen, but it's obvious someone gained entry after the last person had left for the day. Things were different... lights off when they had been left on, radio (fake occupied) was turned off and certain it was on when I left. Fast forward to now.. What are you doing to reduce the intruder? Are you using a security system, cameras or anything else? 

I use ReoLink camera's at all my flips. No power or wifi needed. These camera's use battery that last almost 2 weeks and take tmobile SIM card pre paid . Hope this helps. Don't buy fake camera's. 

I second that it's probably better to invest in an actual working camera. With today's technology you can probably get one for the fair price, and if it happens you will actually have some evidence of whoever is doing it.

@Shelby LeBlanc , hopefully the lock change works, but if it is a contractor's "friend" as Patricia states, between a functioning camera, and a bluetooth lockbox you could have a good record.  I don't have experience with the igloo home lockbox, but sounds like a good option, where you can create unique codes, or require people to use the bluetooth of their phone to open it.  And you will have a record of who unlocked the box and at what time.

@Shelby LeBlanc while I’m flipping I put a double sided keyed lock, so if they get in, they can’t walk out the door with something big and heavy like material or tools. Also, it’s helpful I think to do little stuff to show people you’re in you’re guard, like show up randomly one night at 11pm, and show up really early morning sometimes. You can go on amazon and get this little USB port spy camera that has good reviews. Haven’t tried mine out yet. Sorry to hear that. Hardly anything feels worse than getting broken into, and there’s not much you can do in confrontation when you don’t have proof.

@Shelby LeBlanc so you go to the two neighbors you suspect. You tell them "Gosh, I think someone is going into my house unauthorized. Here is my phone number. I'm adding some additional security measures but if you see something or someone suspicious will you call me please?" If they are the culprits then they are now on notice that you are aware of the intrusions. If they aren't the culprits then they may well help you better protect your property.