Replacing Floor To Ceiling Windows

12 Replies

Hey guys, I've just bought my first condo, it has floor to ceiling windows in both bedrooms, as well as the living room that also has a sliding door out to the balcony. The current windows are super old and need to be replaced, I just don't know where to start. Anyone know an affordable way to go about this? Best place to get them from? Thanks!

@Xavier Brinkman you need to check with the HOA first because they may have a preferred/reccommended vendor. They also probably specify what the window must be like and that it must be replaced by a professional. All this assumes the windows are not a common element and are your responsibility( and they probably are). If you have a PM company that collects your condo fee call them.

@Xavier Brinkman

Call up Home Depot. The best deal you're going to get on replacement windows of that size will come from them. The HOA is probably going to have a whole load of BS regulations that you'll have to either accept or get around. I know a guy in my area whose HOA insisted that the frames had to be a certain color. He bought them white vinyl, had them installed, sanded down the frames, slapped on a coat of bonding primer, then exterior colormatched paint. HOA never knew nuttin'. You can do the same with patio doors.

@Xavier Brinkman also make sure you talk to someone in the HOA who is knowledgeable and puts things in writing. Because I the window specifications I got from on HOA did not match the rest of the building.

As others stated, you need to contact the HOA management company and find out the rules and regs on window replacements. Any window that is 18" or below to the floor requires the glass to be tempered (at least here in So Cal) and I would imagine in most if not all states so make sure you get the right windows. You should also purchase double pane windows for energy efficiency as well.

Fixed panel windows this size will be special order (not stocked at box stores). Home Depot offers Plygen window brand along with a host of others like Milgard, Anderson, etc. Again, you MUST check with your association on window replacements.

All good ideas, thanks guys! I was planning to talk to my HOA as I know they'd have some preferences, but was just wanting to get a few quotes and get an idea of pricing before I even did that. I'm doing a full remodel so not sure I wanted to tackle it now or later down the track. After a quote from Home Depot for $13k, I'm definitely going to hold off! lol

Thanks again for the tips, much appreciated!

Originally posted by @Colleen F. :

@Xavier Brinkman also make sure you talk to someone in the HOA who is knowledgeable and puts things in writing. Because I the window specifications I got from on HOA did not match the rest of the building.

Will definitely do that Colleen, thanks for the tip!