Help choosing flooring for a flip.

7 Replies

I am trying to decide between LVP and hardwood looking tile.

Have you seen appraiser give tile more value ? Any Oklahoma City friends on here with recent experience?

I am trying to advise a client but this neighborhood has no recent comps (90days) of rehabbed homes.

@Evelyn Tilman , admittedly, I cannot answer your question, as I am not an appraiser, don't like or invest in OKC, or even in my market have ever installed tile outside of kitchens and baths, and mostly baths.  

As, what I consider, a fairly typical buyer, I can say I despise tile in any room outside of baths.  It is hard, cold, echoes more, and generally uncomfortable.  Therefore I would buy a house with LVP over tile.  But, I would also ask, if you or owner are willing to pay for tile, why not actual hardwood/engineered hardwood.  At least with my contractors, a decent hardwood-look tile costs nearly the same as a prefinished hardwood, and is cheaper to install in my experience.

Warm climate tile throughout or LVP

Cold climate carpet in bedrooms maybe wood or lvp in hall and lvp or tile in kitchens and baths 

In between its a toss up 

It also depend of course on price of house 

Originally posted by Michael Plante:

Warm climate tile throughout or LVP

Cold climate carpet in bedrooms maybe wood or lvp in hall and lvp or tile in kitchens and baths 

In between its a toss up 

It also depend of course on price of house 

I don't know the OKC market, but here in SO Cal, generally speaking, wood floors will bring higher values than tile or anything less. Tile is cold and slippery, hard and can echo in rooms more. Not a fan other than in bathrooms and laundry rooms. On lower valued homes here, I will use Laminate Wood flooring which looks like wood, is softer on the feet and wears well.

Checking out what most home sin your area use at your price level should give you the real story. Investigate!

Anything but vinyl....it's screams cheap. Even the better stuff. I know some areas have different opinion...

Also tile will outlast vinyl by many years. You can always throw a nice carpet down if it's too cold.....

But yes, look at real hardwood or at least a good engineered wood first....

@Evelyn Tilman , What price point and specific area?
Under 250k I'd lean towards nicer LVP. $250k+ I'd start to consider wood look tile over LVP in the main areas. Above 300k or in higher end areas I'd definitely do wood look tile with nicer carpet in bedrooms. 

I haven't seen additional value given to wood look tile over LVP, but it will be more of a buyer preference once you get into the higher price points. Several mid-range builders have started included it as a standard option, so it's becoming more of a norm in that 250k+ price range.