Tourism strength, Short term rental demand

9 Replies

I've been looking in the Indianapolis area for a duplex to live in and airbnb. But, keeping my options open I was looking at Fort Wayne.

Can someone provide analysis on the supply and demand for short term rental in Fort Wayne?

Also interested in anyone's method of assessing this critical data either via airbnb.com or a 3rd party site. It is very hard when Airbnb doesn't give at least 3 months of historic data.

AirDNA is a good resource. I also use listing sites like Redfin that allow you to search for keywords. I just searched Indianapolis with a keyword “income” and found this pretty quickly. Just an example:

https://www.redfin.com/IN/Indianapolis/234-N-Davidson-St-46202/home/82164247?utm_source=ios_share&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=copy_link&utm_nooverride=1&utm_content=link

And that method of searching keywords within listings is by no means the detailed analysis you’re needing but it has helped me a little in some areas.

@Fred Ewert

As a Superhost, I agree with the AirDNA. You really want to dive into the data regarding the right amount of rooms, top rentals in the area and seasonality factors. This will all go into the analysis.

Also dive over to Airbnb and pretend to be a guest, search your area and look at the top rentals (most reviews, most booked) and price out 7 day stays for different months/seasons. This will help give you a well-rounded view of the area.

Hope this helps!

Well, I am a Fort Wayne local. I am new to the landlord scene, so I can't exactly give you the best "analysis" but I can say there is a high demand for rentals in general. (at least that's what I've been told by local investors)I'm in a Fort Wayne landlording group on facebook and I would recommend looking them up. A lot of the guys on there are very knowledgeable of the area and give you a much better idea on the specifics that you're looking for. As for tourism, unless there's something I'm missing about Fort Wayne, I can't see why someone would really want to come here for a vacation lol 

@Brandon Handel Thanks, I will check on this. There are surely some conventions that happen at Grand Wayne Center that might attract people. Also, things going on at the Coliseum. Too bad there isn't a sports team like Notre Dame there. Though I'm sure many come and stay for IPFW graduation.

Originally posted by @Fred Ewert :

@Brandon Handel Thanks, I will check on this. There are surely some conventions that happen at Grand Wayne Center that might attract people. Also, things going on at the Coliseum. Too bad there isn't a sports team like Notre Dame there. Though I'm sure many come and stay for IPFW graduation.

Hi Fred! Yeah Fort Wayne definitely isn't the vacation capital of the world however like Brandon said, there is a high demand for rentals here because the price-to-rent ratios are pretty solid. 

The Facebook group Brandon was talking about can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1910999142486622/

Let me know if you need anything else! 

@Fred Ewert
We have data looking back to October 2014 which allows you to analyse the trends of supply and demand in Fort Waynes. You will be able to filter this down to your type of property and see the seasonality of the market. Feel free to reach out to us and we can discuss Fort Waynes in more detail. 

@Grant Rothenburger  @Travis Rasmussen I'm glad you found our data to be useful and had a positive experience with our team here! 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here