Who has had a great experience with a Baltimore Property Manager?

16 Replies | Baltimore, Maryland

Hi All -

I'm looking for some folks who've had first hand experience with property management firms in Baltimore. I'm specifically looking for those that rent SFH or Duplexes. On my list are:

Bay Property Management

Premier Property Management

Vacancy Fillers

Rentwell

BMore Management

Alpine Property Management

Who would YOU all recommend from personal experience?

Thanks!

Here's my review of Bay (also posted on Google Maps)

Lots of 5-star reviews here from those with just one review. 🙄

To owners: I won't say that they are the worst, but I quit them after 9 months. I had 4 property managers (Eijie, Rose, Sheila and Kenn) in those 9 months, and it took 2 months for them to rent a completely renovated property. So many random fees: start-up fee, inspection fee, keylock fee. Then they don't send payments unless you follow up.
I do NOT recommend them as a property management company.

Promotion
NestEgg
Smarter rental management
Outperform your peers by 71%
NestEgg landlords save $6,960/yr in fees & 20 hrs/mo*. Self-manage for free or go hands-off for $29.
Start now, get $500
Originally posted by @Amanda Mark:

@Raymond Simms did you have to pay a full month's rent when you left Bay?

I don't think so.  

IIRC on my contract, if they placed a new tenant and then I left quickly, I would owe them something, but generally my contract was severable.  

Originally posted by @Lesli Dixon:

@Raymond Simms Thanks for the input. So are you using a different management agency or are you managing your property yourself now?

I actually have two property management companies.  About 3 months in to working with Bay, I got another townhouse nearby, so I found another PM company.  I was referred another PM company, and they took over the one that was managed by Bay.  

Both have been fine, and each has their strengths and weaknesses.  

Originally posted by @Raymond Simms :

@Raymond Simms Thanks for the input. So are you using a different management agency or are you managing your property yourself now?

I actually have two property management companies.  About 3 months in to working with Bay, I got another townhouse nearby, so I found another PM company.  I was referred another PM company, and they took over the one that was managed by Bay.  

Both have been fine, and each has their strengths and weaknesses.  

Not trying to bust your balls, but I take it you're not trying to share the name of either of the alternative PM companies you've chosen to work with? 

Thus far, no one has had anything (good or bad) to comment on any of the other agencies I referenced in my initial post. That kinda leads me to believe maybe I should start out with Bay and simply be prepared to counteract any pitfalls I can expect with them. (i.e. Better the devil you know than the one you don't).

Thanks everyone for your responsiveness - I know we're still in the midst of the Holiday Blitz. 

In the meantime, if anyone else has any recommendations they'd like to share - please do!!!

Thanks.

Originally posted by @Bud Gaffney :

@Lesli Dixon try the Real Property Management franchise

Hi Bud - Thanks for the recommendation. Do they currently service one of your properties, possibly in the East Baltimore area? 

I just did a quick Google search and a number of companies popped up.  Could you send me their contact info?

Not trying to bust your balls, but I take it you're not trying to share the name of either of the alternative PM companies you've chosen to work with? 

Thus far, no one has had anything (good or bad) to comment on any of the other agencies I referenced in my initial post. That kinda leads me to believe maybe I should start out with Bay and simply be prepared to counteract any pitfalls I can expect with them. (i.e. Better the devil you know than the one you don't).

Thanks everyone for your responsiveness - I know we're still in the midst of the Holiday Blitz. 

In the meantime, if anyone else has any recommendations they'd like to share - please do!!!

Thanks.

I saw your profile ... attorney ... is that why you're busting the balls of people that offered you free information?  BP doesn't allow advertising, or requests for service providers on its forum.  If I respond openly with the two companies, I'll be perceived as a shill.  I've also only been with them for 3 & 7 months - time enough for me to form an opinion, but not time enough for me to make a recommendation that I'm willing to stand behind.  

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

I also use Bay, but I've just started with them. What I like about them is that they have their processes defined and documented, and they're well established, even if a bit on the pricier end. I have switched to them from Port City. I've heard good things about East Coast, especially on the Section8 front.

Try Pointer Ridge Management for Baltimore. I have a couple of townhome rentals with them, and have been with them for ~4 years. Hired them to handle a particularly difficult tenant and they've been great. Very responsive, transparent, and have never felt like they've charged unnecessary fees. Best of luck!