Am I reading the Permit Rules correctly for BC?

6 Replies | Baltimore, Maryland

I've been doing some research into renting/renovating in Baltimore City.  We were talking about renovating our basement ourselves (it is bare concrete currently) and so I thought I'd do some research. While I was reading into permits, I found it stated that you have to have a permit to replace a sink.... Can anyone tell me why replacing a sink would need a permit? Is that a common requirement or just "Baltimore."

Technical answer: because a sink involves plumbing, including a trap which can leak sewer gasses

Real answer: Because the city are greedy, in addition to incompetant.    

@Ned Carey I'll get the permit when I decide to change the sink out. I have a feeling I have determined why the company that owned my house before I bought it just painted the basement concrete instead of actually finishing it with drywall...

I'm getting first hand experience about why there's so many complaints about Baltimore City. It's been almost 3 months, and they still haven't changed the water bill over to my name. Every time I call it's "pending" and no one can tell me when it'll happen.  

@Leanne J. you can pay water bills online, whether it is in your name yet or not.  Just Google Baltimore city water bills.

I still get bills for properties I sold last year.

I agree with @Ned Carey , Baltimore City will literally let you pay anyone's taxes or water bills as long as they get money. Now if they overcharge you or bill you incorrectly, good luck getting the money back.  As for permits, you need a permit for just about anything possible. I got a stop work order once cause I fix a portion of a fence that was falling down, fought the stop work order, but what a pain in the you know what.

Originally posted by @Leanne J. :

@Ned Carey I'll get the permit when I decide to change the sink out. I have a feeling I have determined why the company that owned my house before I bought it just painted the basement concrete instead of actually finishing it with drywall...

In anne arundel county you need a permit to change a wax ring on a toilet .  ( i have broke that rule) 

Painting a bare basement is all I do to my rentals , clean no maintenance . Finishing a basement for a rental generally doesnt bring that much return . The main reason I dont finish basements in my rentals . Basements flood , an empty basement drys out in a couple hours . No drywall to replace , no painting , no carpet .  My HVAC , and water heaters are up 2 ft .  A finished basement not so easy . 

Your basement wasnt finished because it would have cost more money and the seller would have made less profit