Any GC recommendations in Worcester MA for a flip?

9 Replies | Worcester, Massachusetts

Hi all,

My partners and I just got a house under contract yesterday in Worcester, MA, and am looking for general contractors. This is a moderately extensive flip, new kitchen, 2 new bathrooms, carpet replaced with laminate, wallpaper removed and either replaced or walls painted, and the works. 

If anyone knows of anyone free to take on a project, please let me know!

A new kitchen, two new bathrooms... Is this considered a moderately extensive flip in Worcester?   What is your rehab budget?  I am asking because my son who works and rents an apartment in Worcester is on the market for a house there.

I'm saying moderate compared to full gut jobs, roof caving in, condemned, etc. 

Budget would be $35K. 

Your budget may be too low.   We paid Re-Bath 14k to remodel a small bathroom in our house in Marlborough this summer.  Bath remodeling contractors wanted $30-35k or more.

@Tyler Lee I may have some people interested but I agree with the others this sounds like a lot note than $35k in Worcester best I have seen for a bathroom do it yourself with handyman is $9k reach out and I can put you with some people

I would be happy to look at it, but $35k is going to get you a lot of Home Depot products and caulked gaps everywhere. If the house is over $300k a bathroom gut will cost $15k ea and $20k+ for the kitchen. Also plan for a long holding period. Worcester inspections are slow and we normally factor in 4 weeks of waiting for inspectors into a bathroom or kitchen in the city. The worst was 6 weeks (3 on the roughs and 3 on the finals). If you're not doing the exact steps at the exact same time in all 3 areas, they require waiting for separate inspections. The inspectors are fair, they're just very short staffed with all the new buildings and renos in the city. I also wouldn't risk not getting permits, you'll get red tagged with a quickness and the city does not mess around with it. They will shut you down for months and drag everything out to the last day legally possible before kicking it back for something minor just to teach you a lesson. 

I should clarify-I work for a home materials supplier (flooring, toilets, tubs, tiles, the whole thing) and am able to get most of the materials at wholesale price, so that's able to cut down on cost by quite a bit. 

Originally posted by @Alex G. :

Your budget may be too low.   We paid Re-Bath 14k to remodel a small bathroom in our house in Marlborough this summer.  Bath remodeling contractors wanted $30-35k or more.

14k to remodel a small bathroom?  Last few we have done for our rentals have been around 8k. Then again you could have gone higher end with materials.  Ours were rental properties.