Buying a property that is split between two towns

2 Replies

Has anyone ever bought a multi-family that is split between two towns? Are there any nuances to this? I understand that the taxes would have to be split (not an even % either) but are there any other concerns?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by @Jesse Os :

Has anyone ever bought a multi-family that is split between two towns? Are there any nuances to this? I understand that the taxes would have to be split (not an even % either) but are there any other concerns?

Thanks in advance!

Other concerns is the utilities. In some municipalities, the city is the one in charge of the water, garbage collection, etc. You just need to be aware of that so you can manage it specially if the tenants pay the utilities. Oh and another is if these two towns belong to 2 different counties, then the evicition processes could be different too. For example, I have some colleagues who invest in the Chicago area. The city of Chicago is more tenant friendly but Dupage county is more landlord friendly.

Also, you might be able to have one side or the other annexed so they are all in the same town.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here