Georgia Tax Deed

10 Replies

If I purchase a tax deed in GA, I have to wait 12 months to foreclose.   In my county, I see deeds with multiple years of taxes due.  If I purchase a tax deed that has 2 years of taxes due, then can I foreclose immediately since the first tax sale was over 12 months ago?   

Thanks,

Joe McLain

@Joe Mclain

No, the redemption period starts when you purchase the tax deed. 

So for example, if you purchased a tax deed property that has 2012, 2013 tax owed. After you purchase it. The redemption period starts. On top of that you are now liable fo pay 2014 & 2015 tax. If not. Your tax deed property will be on auction block next April(2016).

Hope this helps.

Thanks Tom Yung.  

if you foreclose in GA after waiting the 12 months, do you now own it or does it go to auction?

@Richard Thayer

In GA, after the 12 months is over, you have the right to bar the owner from redemption. 

During this baring period (45 Days). The owner still have the right to redeem, but the interest are additional 10% in year two. After this 45 days, if nobody redeems, they lost the right of redemption. If you want to sell the property, you still need to quiet title; if the purchaser need conventional financing to get title insurance.

Joe, that was a good question. 

Tom, I appreciate the helpful answers

Originally posted by @Tom Yung :

@Richard Thayer

In GA, after the 12 months is over, you have the right to bar the owner from redemption. 

During this baring period (45 Days). The owner still have the right to redeem, but the interest are additional 10% in year two. After this 45 days, if nobody redeems, they lost the right of redemption. If you want to sell the property, you still need to quiet title; if the purchaser need conventional financing to get title insurance.

Tom,

If you don't want to sell the property, what are the necessary steps to get house in your name?

@Shawn Moore

If the intention is to hold onto the property, 4 years longer after the barment process. . 

It is not necessary to do the clear title. BUT clear title will give you the 100% guarantee.

So always budget the clear title cost as part of the cost before bidding.

@ Tom

What need to be done after the 4 years wait ? Does the wait clear the tittle as well ? Thanks !

@ Pari

Each county has its own method to advertise the sales. I found some info by visiting the county tax commissioner website then follow the route. Some counties has the list right on the websites. Others points to 3rd party public notice sites.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here